Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > DVD Talk
Reload this Page >

The 3 most favorite DVD's in your collection?

DVD Talk Talk about DVDs and Movies on DVD including Covers and Cases

Old 12-16-05, 08:38 PM
Inane Thread Master, 2018 TOTY

1. "The Killer" Criterion Collection...and not because it is OOP and has some value, but because I love the movie!

When I was much younger, or at least a little younger, I took out a video from the Westport Public Library in Westport, CT. This was a time when someone turned me on to the free videos at libraries. So, I started watching/getting into classics. I took out things like "Butch Cassidy and the Sundance Kid" and well, that is all I can remember. But, I remember coming across a video that didn't look particularly nice, chafed label tape, etc..But it said it was directed by John Woo and I knew he directed a movie I happened to love greatly in "Face/Off" . So, I got it.

I popped it in to my "VCR" and to my total surprise it had...egad! subtitles! But, I decided to watch it anyway. Not only was this my first movie with subtitles, but it was an amazing one at that. It blew me away, figuratively.

It had everything I loved...great story, poetry in motion, and gut-busting, edge-of-your-seat action! I was immediately enamored of this marvel of a movie. I couldn't believe that with one viewing, I not only turned myself on to HK action flicks (of course I didn't know it as such then), but also "movies with subtitles". So, I bought the VHS tape (DVD's hadn't been invented back then, or actually they were, but I couldn't find the DVD version of it).

And thus began my journey to not only discovering great movies that I wasn't in the remote vicinity of (aka foreign cinema) but, began my journey to getting this on DVD. And consequently, I came into a copy of "The Killer" Criterion Collection because a store was just giving it away...in exchange for money.

Lastly, with this release, I began my love for DVD collecting, understanding its' importance and the value of quality treasures in ones' collection. Basically, the movies you love!
Crying 1

2. "Buffy the Vampire Slayer: The Chosen Collection"...it is just my favorite series of all time and I contemplated buying some seasons and not others. I taped my favs. including "Hush" and countless more. Bought a R2 "Once More With Feeling" and this gorgeous crimson box is heaven sent and Joss Whedon inspired. "I'm lovin' it".

3. "Die Hard: Five Star Collection"...this is my favorite movie of all time and one of the only DVD sets that I watched every single extra and enjoyed every single extra. I loved that I could create my own angle for certain scenes and so much more. This was probably the first set that I enjoyed all the way through and for me that is saying a lot!

ps) include a story, tidbit, or just list...

Last edited by OldBoy; 12-16-05 at 08:55 PM.
Old 12-16-05, 09:44 PM
DVD Talk Legend

1) Planet of the Apes:The Ultimate Collection with Ape Head-Couldn't ask for a cooler DVD release of my favorite movie of all-time. Best DVD set period.

2) Seabiscuit-2 Disc Ultimate Gift Set-Love the movie and they did such an awesome job on the DVD and packaging.

3) Lost:The Complete First Season-Such a great show, i can see myself wearing this one out someday.

***edit*** updated my list

Last edited by Maxflier; 06-08-06 at 11:00 AM.
Old 12-16-05, 09:52 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Toy Story Toybox
Indiana Jones Collection (Classic )
LotR EE
Old 12-16-05, 10:16 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

sex and the city-complete series in the fancy collectors book
titanic collectors edition
batman anthology
Old 12-16-05, 10:37 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

1. The Ultimate Matrix Collection (Limited Edition Neo bust) - Each disc has its on little tray unlike the normal box which has the discs packaged like sardines. Perfect PQ. Room-shattering sound. Extras that delve into every aspect of the matrix mythology, including those who hated the films.

2. Gladiator Signature Selection - The original and still the best DVD edition

3. The Hunted (Benicio Del Toro, Tommy Lee Jones) - I know this is an oddball but I must say this DVD has the most active DD 5.1 track I have ever heard.
Old 12-17-05, 01:09 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

1. Citizen Toxie: The Toxic Avenger IV The only reason I pick this is because it is signed by the director Lloyd Kaufman.

2. The Silence of the Lambs: Criterion Collection It was the very first Criterion I ever bought and it's out of print.

3. Back to the Future: The Complete Trilogy I love these movies and I was extremely excited about this release. Probably more excited than I had ever been about a movie or since.
Old 12-17-05, 01:42 AM
DVD Talk Legend

King Kong Best buy box set

favorite movie and killer package and extras

Monster Legacy Box Set

Great movies all packed in a cool box

fritz lang box from kino

to good to be true
Old 12-17-05, 02:05 AM

1. Malcolm X: Two-Disc Special Edition Like The Monkees said about Citizen Toxie, the only reason I pick this DVD first is because it is signed by Spike Lee.

2. Pulp Fiction: Collector's Edition It's my favorite movie of all time. I'm not going to go in to how much I love it (and why) too much, cause I have before. I saw this movie five times in the theater when it first came out, and there's many memories that go with it. On top of that, the DVD is packed with great stuff.

3. The Deer Hunter: Legacy Series I love this movie (and the DVD). This is my favorite performance by my favorite actor, Robert De Niro. Not much in the way of extras, but the texture of the casing is really nice.
Old 12-17-05, 02:57 AM
Cool New Member

Re-Animator Millennium Edition
Hellboy Director's Cut
Showgirls V.I.P. Edition
Old 12-17-05, 03:03 AM

1. Fight Club.
2. Se7en.
3. Panic Room: SE.
Old 12-17-05, 03:04 AM

Phantasm Sphere
Donnie Darko Director Cut w/ Tin
Office Space Best Buy Exclusive
Old 12-17-05, 05:06 AM

Clerks X
Dawn of the Dead Ultimate Edition
Lord of the Rings EE ( all 3 )
Old 12-17-05, 05:36 AM

Manhunter Region 2 Japan--the theatrical cut of the film
Thief Region 2 UK--again, theatrical cut, and it took me a while to get
To Live and Die in L.A.--a old favorite, and I'm just delighted to have it on DVD, not to mention with a great retrospective doc and Friedkin commentary
Old 12-17-05, 07:42 AM

Big Trouble in Little China (2 disc) - "I was born ready!"
Ordet- My favorite movie included in my favorite boxed set.
Life of Brian (Criterion) - My first criterion and the reason I started to love their discs.
Old 12-17-05, 07:58 AM

Can't limit it to 3:

STAR WARS EPISODE I
STAR WARS EPISODE II
STAR WARS EPISODE III
STAR WARS EPISODE IV
STAR WARS EPISODE V
STAR WARS EPISODE VI
Old 12-17-05, 08:14 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by Fincher Fan
1. Fight Club.
2. Se7en.
3. Panic Room: SE.

...shocker...

as for myself...
Pulp Fiction CE
Toxic Avneger CE
The Shield Season One... blind buy... watched the entire season over the weekend, I was so hooked

Very difficult to pick 3 out of almost 900 dvd sets I own
Old 12-17-05, 08:16 AM

Casablanca - it's my favorite movie
Lord of the Rings Extended Edition boxset
Rebecca
Old 12-17-05, 08:39 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Lord of the Rings: The Two Towers EE
Ultimate Matrix Collection
Fight Club SE

.....hows that for an uncommon list around these parts
Old 12-17-05, 09:31 AM

Band of Brothers Set
Lord of the Rings Set (extended versions)
Black Hawk Down 3-disc
Old 12-17-05, 09:42 AM

1. Predator Collector's Edition - Favorite action movie, and a great all together package. and if I ever need to get to sleep there is a John McTiernan Commentary.

2. Three Kings - Director David O. Russell had a great commitment to this DVD and all the extras and the movie is in my top 5.

3. Simpsons 1-7 the greatest TV on DVD every episode is a classic. And the extras.
Old 12-17-05, 10:07 AM

Fight Club
Lost In Translation
Sin City
Old 12-17-05, 10:10 AM
Inane Thread Master, 2018 TOTY

very nice and unexpected selections. keep them coming...
Old 12-17-05, 10:48 AM

Okay, I'm cheating. Here's my top 5:

Black Hawk Down 3-disc: Great movie and great extras.

Freaks and Geeks: The Complete Series: I only wish it was the OOP Yearbook Edition instead. =(

Hoosiers SE: One of the best extras ever, IMO: the 1954 Indiana State Championship game. A shame more DVDs don't include the source material/"inspiration" for the films as extras.

Battlestar Galactica/Firefly: Both season sets and both blind buys. Was immediately hooked on both.

(Scott, John Woo's Killer had the same effect on me. Picked up the VHS copy at a mom-and-pop rental place with Reservoir Dogs and fell in love with both.)

Last edited by TimeandTide; 12-17-05 at 10:53 AM.
Old 12-17-05, 04:15 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Awfully tough to just pick three favorite DVDs. My choices would be different if I just picked my three favorite movies on DVD of all time, but one of my favorites, Somewhere In Time, looks atrocious on DVD in both it's releases. None of these are really collectible, but have great picture and audio quality and are movies I love. For three I would have to say I return to over and over I'll say-

Saving Private Ryan
The Bourne Identity
T3 (yes, T3, not T2....tough choice for me)

For being entertained, the best bang for the buck for me would be-

The Godfather DVD Collection
The James Bond Collection
The Kill Bill Twin Pack (Japanese)

The 007 set is the ONE doubledip I know for sure I'll make when it's released with the new DTS/Lowry digital treatment and added commantaries.

Special mention to TV season sets like South Park, Seinfeld, Kolchak and Columbo.....hours of great watching for the money.

Last edited by nightmaster; 12-17-05 at 04:18 PM.
Old 12-17-05, 04:39 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

1. The Simpsons Seasons 1-7: My favorite seasons of my favorite TV show, the extras are wonderful and the episodes demand repeat viewings.

2. The Lord of the Rings Trilogy Extended Edition: Absolute perfection in DVD quality.

3. The Alfred Hitchcock Masterpiece Collection: My all-time favorite filmmaker gets the royal treatment from Universal (one of the few DVDs this company did right IMO).

Search this Thread

Archive Advertising Cookie Policy Privacy Statement Terms of Service

Copyright 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.