Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > DVD Talk
Reload this Page >

The 3 most favorite DVD's in your collection?

DVD Talk Talk about DVDs and Movies on DVD including Covers and Cases

The 3 most favorite DVD's in your collection?

Old 06-11-06, 07:12 PM
Inane Thread Master, 2018 TOTY

Received 904 Likes on 765 Posts
Originally Posted by astrochimp
1.my new slim-sized Buffy sets(all 7 seasons)
is that the R1 Crimson box?
Old 06-11-06, 07:39 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by scott1598
is that the R1 Crimson box?
No just the indivdual series slim pack sets but i would love a nice box for it
Old 06-12-06, 08:27 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 19 Likes on 14 Posts
Herzog Kinski Collection - it really got me into collecting dvd
Universal Monster Legacy Gift set - my entire cinematic childhood in a box!
Alien Legacy Box Set - the jewel of my collection
Old 06-13-06, 02:52 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Man on the Moon - probibly my favorite Jim Carrey movie
Equilibrium - My most watched dvd, i could see this one getting worn out
Bill & Ted's Excellent Collection - I grew up watching these...now i need the animated series to get released
Old 06-13-06, 03:03 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Band of Brothers - Simply gripping from start to finish. And how I love tin cases.

Army of Darkness (R3 MGM) - Beautiful picture, amazing 5.1 track, and it has the crazy "He-Man" Ash cover art.

Clue - kidding.

Battle Royale (R3 Starmax) - my first import purchase, singlehandedly opened me up to the world of going multi-region. The heavy silkscreened cardboard case is damn nifty and the movie is simply a classic.

Last edited by canaryfarmer; 06-14-06 at 01:23 PM.
Old 06-13-06, 05:47 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 3,191 Likes on 2,059 Posts
even though I'm buried on page 5, here goes:

1. Band of Brothers - I love pretty much everything about this release. Usually, when it comes to TV shows or miniseries, I don't buy due to limited replay value. But I've watched this series several times and it keeps getting better.

2. The Rock: Criterion - This is one of my favorite action movies and Criterion did a fantastic job on the release. Probably my most watched DVD.

3. Tie Between
Black Hawk Down (3-disc)
and
Kingdom of Heaven (4-disc) - two of the best DVD presentations ever! Truly wonderful films too.
Old 06-13-06, 06:54 PM
Cool New Member

1. 2005 Houston Astros - The Championship Season (they were sooooo close)
2. Mr. Show - Seasons 1-4 (I can watch any episode from any season at any time and be thoroughly entertained)
3. Smashing Pumpkins: The Greatest Hits Video Collection (new album coming soon)
Old 06-14-06, 04:59 AM

I guess this thread kicked this off, where are the "Top 5" and "Top 10" threads?
Old 06-14-06, 11:57 AM

Received 20 Likes on 16 Posts
1. Star Wars (Ep IV, the original). I saw this at least seven times in the theater, and even though I now know that Empire Strikes Back is a better movie, the original (or what passes for it on DVD) still strikes a chord.

2. The Band Wagon. I first saw this film in the late 60's (I think) when PBS was showing several classic musicals uncut. It sparked my interest in Fred Astaire and in MGM musicals. I've waited since the dawn of DVD for this movie to be released.

3. Bull Durham. Flat out the best baseball movie ever. My wife and I can't even watch a game on TV without commenting on china patterns or taking the hex off the bat or lollygagging, etc. etc. We watch it every year before heading to Arizona to see a couple of spring training games. Plus, I had the privilege of seeing Ron Shelton in a panel duscussion at Wordstock in Portland last year.

Unfortunately, that leaves out films such as The Godfather Pt 1 and 2, North by Northwest and other Hitchcock films of that era (Rear Window, The Man Who Knew Too Much, Vertigo), Singin' in the Rain, Lord of the Rings Trilogy, Before Sunrise, and Before Sunset.
Old 06-14-06, 01:14 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 30 Likes on 23 Posts
1. Yellow Submarine - I waited for years to see the opening graphic say "Once upon a time" instead of "nce upon a tim." Plus, to be able to see it so pristine and with the "Hey Bulldog" sequence. And best of all, they played it at the Seantor in Baltimore to commemorate its arrival on DVD. Perhaps the best movie experience of my life.

2. The Iron Giant - Hmmmm boy! Its not even the updated version and the cover has been ripped off of the case about three or four times by my boys, but no tape would have held up to the number of viewings this film has had in our house. At one point, when he was about two, my eldest son must have watched the thing 2 times a day. And the great thing is that they (and we) still love it, and as they get older, enjoy it even more.

3. Looney Tunes Golden Collection, Volume Two - What can I say? This set makes me want to sing-a, to croon about the moon-a in a June-a. What's not to love? Contains so many favorites, including Slick Hare ("One lemon marango pie") and You Ought to Be in Pictures. But, admittedly, it does have one unforgivable exclusion. A disc of Roadrunner/Coyote cartoons and no sign of "Operation Rabbit." Sure, there's no Roadrunner but it really belonged there. What super-genious blew that opportunity?

Last edited by TheAllPurposeNothing; 06-15-06 at 10:03 AM.
Old 06-15-06, 07:25 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Band of Brothers - Excellent set from packaging to the miniseries. Worth every penny.
Akira (Limited Edition Tin) - My fav anime and what a cool collectors item.
Robocop (Criterion Collection) - Uncut Robocop! Could you ask for a anything better?

Honorable Mentions:

Star Trek TNG Season Sets - Probably my fav TV show with excellent packaging. I just wish that they would have included text commentaries on the episodes.

Star Wars Trilogy
Old 06-15-06, 07:50 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

1) Buffy The Vampire Slayer: R2 Limited Edition Box

2) Freaks & Geeks Yearbook

3) Kill Bill R2 Limited Box
Old 06-15-06, 08:29 AM
Suspended

1: Buffy The Vampire Slayer Chosen Collection/Buffy Season 4-7 Region 2 Widescreen sets (TIE. These 4 UK sets cost me $240. More than double of what I ended up getting my 7 season Chosen Colllection for.)

2: Angel complete series (I don't have to pick just one do I? ). The only difference between mine and the pick below is that my seasons 3 & 4 are the region 2 sets. I actually paid $117 for season 4, because I couldn't wait 9 months or so for the US release. Of course this was mostly because my best friend had just finished season 3 with me and was dying to continue asap.

3: Xena: Warrior Princess Library Box set

Runners Up: Alias collection, Freaks & Geeks season 1, Firefly Season 1, Veronica Mars Season 1, Lost Season 1, Futurama collection, Family Guy collection, 24 Collection, T2: Ultimate Edition, The Matrix, Hercules Library Box Set, Smallville Collection, The Simpsons Collection & South Park Collection.
Old 06-15-06, 05:49 PM
Cool New Member

I'd say these 3 are tops as of now, from my collection.

Old 06-15-06, 06:21 PM

1) Cobra

2) Under the Cherry Moon

3) Franchise Collection: Best of Abbott and Costello Vol. 1
Old 06-19-06, 11:02 PM

Pride & Prejudice (new)
Tremors
LoTR (complete trilogy)
Old 06-19-06, 11:23 PM

excellent posts everybody.

Dawn of the Dead: Ultimate Edition - I dont remember the very first time i watched this fully, but oh man does it ever get my blood pumping. I was extremely happy when this wonderful set was announced, Anchor Bay out did themselves. Great extras, commentaries are superb, and 3 versions of the film all of which are excellent.

Videodrome: Criterion Collection - I remember first watching this film on IFC and not knowing WTF was going on, didnt know the director, I was completly lost, and i liked it. When this obscure title got picked to be apart of the CC i knew i had to purchase it if only to have such bizarre happenings in my collection. This movie quickly grew to my top list of favourites, and introduced me to Cronenberg. Long Live The New Flesh!

Firefly: Complete Series - Well all i can say about this is internet buzz does not do it justice. Blind bought this on the many rave reviews heard all around, what a magnificent show, everything is brilliant, i dont think i will love my own children as much as i do this show. Maybe some day i will check out buffy and angel.

runner ups - Arrested Development, Alien Quad., Brazil: CC, LotR: EE's, Matrix Ultimate Collection, I Heard Huckabees, Freaks & Geeks.
Old 06-20-06, 10:38 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
- Alfred Hitchcock: The Masterpiece Collection
Wonderful films, a fantastic felt case, and great extras. Even though I already had most of the older, single releases, I still bought this set without flinching.

- Legends of Hockey Series 1 & 2
Hockey is an obsession of mine (I grew up in Minnesota) and this documentary takes great care in respecting the history, tradition, and magic of my favorite sport.

- The Lord of the Rings Extended Edition Collection
By no means an original, off-beat selection here, but I'd be lying if I didn't list it here.