How do you thin out your collection?

Community
Search
DVD Talk Talk about DVDs and Movies on DVD including Covers and Cases

How do you thin out your collection?

Search this Thread

Old 12-11-05, 10:10 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I have never gotten rid of any titles, over the years. But I will certainly feel the need soon enough, and than my friends, that day will be one of the hardest to choose of all my titles which to toss.
Old 12-11-05, 10:42 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
The only DVDs I've ever sold were put up on Half.com a couple of weeks ago. I got $20 more than I paid (after the fee was taken out) for the first volume of Bond DVDs. With new, remastered versions coming out, I figured I might want to sell them while I could. It also helped that I've watched them like 3x in 2 or 3 years.
Old 12-11-05, 11:49 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

My process:

1) Any DVDs that I buy and don't love immediately go onto the for sale shelf.
2) Every time my shelf system starts to get full, I sit down and look at every title one at a time. I ask "is this a good investment?" If I will watch it again, then the answer is yes. If I think "I won't watch this for at least 3 years," I sell it.

It's important to sell them off once a year. Keeps the collection at fighting weight. To me, fighting weight is around 400 discs.
Old 12-12-05, 07:54 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Get rid of titles you would not watch a second time.

There are exceptions for me. I own Schindler's List. That's a film I won't be watching too often, but I would never part with it because it's a Spielberg title and it's such an important film.

Another way to keep your collection from growing is RENT FIRST.

I was going to blind buy Mr. and Mrs. Smith because it was "only" $13.99. I instead decided to rent it. I'm so glad I did that because I hated the film. I'd rather pay $4 to find out how I'd like a film or not rather than paying the $14+ and then having to go through the resale process.....just a thought.
Old 12-12-05, 08:12 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Yeah I just scan my collection occasionally for stuff I haven't touched in a long time and ask myself if I will EVER watch some of the titles again. usually I won't and they go into the sale/trade pile. I've got rid of a lot of stuff I've liked but honestly probably wouldn't watch more than once every 3-4 years or something. In that case I'll just catch it on tv.

I'm a bit more picky now with my purchases.
Old 12-12-05, 09:27 AM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
I throw the stinkers away. Not worth the time or the trouble to find a sucker to take them off your hands for a few coins +shipping charges.
Old 12-12-05, 09:38 AM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by MrVette99
I throw the stinkers away. Not worth the time or the trouble to find a sucker to take them off your hands for a few coins +shipping charges.
If you itemize your taxes you really should just drop them off at the library. Sure it's not cash in hand but it's better than throwing them away.
Old 12-12-05, 09:43 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 239 Likes on 175 Posts
I just base it on how many times I've seen it and how many times I think I'll watch it again. Or if there's the likelyhood of a better version coming out.
Old 12-12-05, 10:43 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Thin out!? Bahhhhh...

I won't hear of such talk.

Actually I've been thinking about doing it because honestly I don't have as much time to watch movies as much as I used to and I have a bunch of movies that I need to get rid of.
Old 12-12-05, 10:56 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I go by a combination of rewatchability and resale value. If it's a rare OOP title that i don't watch often then i sell it. If it's something I don't watch that often but is only worth $3 then i just keep it.
Old 12-12-05, 11:16 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 82 Likes on 70 Posts
* Will I watch it again, or want to show it to someone else, either the whole thing, or just scenes?
* What's it worth now?

If I get 50 cents for a something I paid 20 for, I keep it [or donate it, or give to a friend/family member]. If I can profit off a title I didn't like or won't watch again, I do. If the 'net cost' is less than 3 bucks, then I probably sell it or try to trade it.
I used to use Half.com, but I moved some stuff to Amazon Marketplace and sold three things in three days. Nothing since then though.
Basically when my shelves get full, I try to purge a couple of titles.
And I have been renting a lot lately, which has helped to really cut down on purchasing. Most of the purchases recently have been movies for gifts, or tv series, or stuff that is a really good price, and a few titles I knew I wanted to 'own'.
Old 12-12-05, 11:23 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts
Originally Posted by nemein
Whenever I hit a new 50 mark in the number of titles (not actual disks) I go through and pick out 20 - 30 titles I know I'll never watch again and give those to the local library. The list is derived as I'm working towards the new 50 mark; some are older versions of things that are replaced/upgraded/double-dipped, others are movies I watch during that time and decide I've changed my mind about it or just don't like it anymore, finally if a particular DVD has been on my "rewatch and decide" list for awhile it ends up on the actual donate list by default
I would be more likely to do that when I get to 20-30 titles ABOVE a 50 mark. When I get to a milestone like that, I wouldn't want to take it away by getting rid of titles.
Old 12-12-05, 11:35 AM
Fok
DVD Talk Limited Edition

What I usually do is give them away to my family members as you won't get much $$ for them.
Plus if you wanted to watch them again, at least they'll be accessible.
Old 12-12-05, 12:18 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Location: Formerly known as Groucho AND Bandoman/Death Moans, Iowa
Received 372 Likes on 266 Posts
I did this last week, got rid about about 30 titles. It felt good. I looked at my collection and picked out what I would never watch again (or in some cases never even watched once). I put stuff that would sell on ebay and took the rest to Half Price books. I made about $290, which will come in handy this time of the year.