Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > DVD Talk
Reload this Page >

The Aristocrats - 1/24/06 (correct release date)

DVD Talk Talk about DVDs and Movies on DVD including Covers and Cases

Old 11-19-05, 04:47 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Yay yay yay yay yay yay yay!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

My favorite documentary of 2005 is finally on it's way.

Two Hours of Bonus Features
- Commentary by Filmmakers Paul Provenza and Penn Jillette
- “Aristocrats Do the Aristocrats” Highlight Reel
- “Behind the Green Room Door: Comics Tell Some of Their Favorite Jokes” Featurette
- “Be an Aristocrat” Contest Winners (live-action and animation)
- Never Before Seen Extended Footage with
o Whoopi Goldberg
o Jon Stewart
o Jason Alexander
o Bob Saget
o Sarah Silverman
o Gilbert Gottfried
o Lewis Black
o Hank Azaria
o Billy the Mime
o Ron Jeremy
o Kevin Pollack
o And Many More

Retail is 29.99.

The cover art's ok, but nothing that really blows me away.

Last edited by ReduxGuy; 11-19-05 at 11:53 PM.
Old 11-19-05, 08:15 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 64 Likes on 46 Posts
I can't wait to see this.
Old 11-20-05, 02:35 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
The cover sucks, but the movie is hilaroius. Looks to be like a great release, I'm dying to see all that bonus footage.
Old 11-20-05, 03:05 PM
DVD Talk Legend

I was really hoping for this to be a multi-disc set with the film on one disc and all the comedian footage on the second disc. Hell, I'm sure there's just hours and hours of great footage that could be included on this release.
Old 11-21-05, 05:20 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 2,646 Likes on 1,832 Posts
It's unfortunate that they couldn't include Buddy Hackett and Rodney Dangerfield in the movie.
Old 11-21-05, 09:45 AM

The movie is as funny as the DVD case is awful.
Old 11-21-05, 04:34 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

That's the busiest, most cluttered dvd cover I've ever seen.
Old 11-21-05, 04:41 PM
DVD Talk Legend

What does a pug have to do with it?

Does this movie have the South Park version with Cartman telling it too?
Old 11-22-05, 09:23 AM

Yes.
Old 11-22-05, 09:32 AM

Yeah, that pug is pretty random. Dogs factor into the joke sometimes, but you'd think from the cover that the movie was some kind of live-action adventure about a specific dog. Weird choice.

I'm not one to bitch about covers or make DVD purchase decisions on that basis, but it seems like a cover based on this poster would be ideal for studio marketing folk who think that reviewer quotes are important:

DJ
Old 01-24-06, 08:53 AM

I read the review on this site and it mentioned that the aspect ratio was 1.33:1. Even to I saw this in the theater, I don't remember the original aspect ratio, but some reviews mention 1.85:1. Anybody know if this is true?
Old 01-24-06, 09:24 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally Posted by JLyon1515
I read the review on this site and it mentioned that the aspect ratio was 1.33:1. Even to I saw this in the theater, I don't remember the original aspect ratio, but some reviews mention 1.85:1. Anybody know if this is true?
When I saw this in a chain theater, it was matted to 1.85:1 and it looked horrible. Heads cut off so low that eyes weren't visible, the whole sequence with Billy the Mime, I could see neither his head nor his feet, etc. It seemed that it should have been shown 1.33:1. I suspect that at the art-house theater in my town where this played, it was projected 1.33:1, but I'm not sure. This is one case where it seemed obvious that the way it was projected was incorrect. It was started as a video project using standard def (not HD) cameras, so it would seem that the 1.33:1 ratio is justified.

Does anyone know if the DVD is video sourced or from a film source? I actually would prefer video sourcing on this title as I think direct video looks better than video-to-film-back-to-video.
Old 01-24-06, 10:01 AM

Wow, if I was watching the movie and stuff was cut off like that, I'd surely go out and tell someone. When I watched it, there weren't heads chopped off or anything, I just didn't recall if it was 1.33:1 or not.
Old 01-25-06, 10:03 AM

Originally Posted by JLyon1515
When I saw this at an art-house theater it WAS 1.33:1.
Old 01-25-06, 11:13 AM

Unfortunately, this movie is not that funny. Obviously, the jokes are pretty good, and Gottfried and Saget steal the show. Only problem is, the way the film is edited. It's awful, tiring too. Back and forth, back and forth. By the end, when Robin Williams comes on and tell an entirely new joke, it's a complete breath of fresh air.
Old 01-25-06, 12:50 PM

Originally Posted by joshtown
Unfortunately, this movie is not that funny. Obviously, the jokes are pretty good, and Gottfried and Saget steal the show. Only problem is, the way the film is edited. It's awful, tiring too. Back and forth, back and forth. By the end, when Robin Williams comes on and tell an entirely new joke, it's a complete breath of fresh air.
I felt the same way. The doc felt like it was tacked together by a bunch of high school kids. Plus, like you said, the move was not funny...at all. The only part I laughed out loud at was Billy The Mime. Also did it bother anyone else that the guy with the puppet moved his mouth the whole time the "puppet" was speaking? I felt it really took away from his version of the joke, which was one of the better ones imho.
Old 01-25-06, 02:36 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts
Oh well some people "get it" and some don't. Can't please everyone.
Old 01-25-06, 03:00 PM

I "got" the movie, I just didn't like it.
Old 01-25-06, 05:24 PM

The guy with the puppet was a regular on the Howard Stern Show. His whole act is having his mouth move, unlike most ventrilquists. I find him funny.
To CUNGAR: I "get" the movie, and love most of the comedians who were interviewed. I just found the movie tedious, and as I said before, terribly edited. Gilbert Gottfried, at the Hugh Hefner roast, was cut beyond belief that it was almost blasphemy.
I almost forgot about the mime. He was good too. Along with the guy with the cards, awesome!
Still I think this was one of the more overrated of the year.
Old 01-25-06, 05:53 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Eric D.
I "got" the movie, I just didn't like it.

Honestly, I think I would rather watch Dukes of Hazard again (yes, I admit I watched it once). I really get a kick out of politically incorrect humor and sick stuff (such as Wonder Showzen, which will soon be on DVD and is vastly superior in comedy to this dreck). The fast paced editing, the concept of being funny means trying to be as gross as possible...it was just a painful, excruciating experience to watch that DVD. Thankfully, I rented and did not make a blind purchase.

Last edited by calhoun07; 01-25-06 at 05:55 PM.
Old 01-27-06, 09:14 AM

Now that region 2 UK verion is out can anyone tell if it's cut or censored?

Last edited by ilan; 01-27-06 at 05:28 PM.
Old 01-27-06, 12:55 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by Eric D.
The doc felt like it was tacked together by a bunch of high school kids.
In the extras they showed part of their interview with Terry Gilliam. Why didn't they use him in the feature? Because they didn't monitor their sound while they were recording and consequently didn't notice that they didn't have any.
Old 01-27-06, 05:13 PM

I "get" the concept of the movie, but i stopped after about 40 minutes. it's just so tedious and poorly done and i dont understand why anyone would be compelled to make a movie about this "joke." Also, ive lost some respect for some of the comedians involved.

What is funny about "shitting" in your wife's mouth while your son is "f-king" her?

also, what is funny about the punchline?
a·ris·to·crat
1/A member of a ruling class or of the nobility.
2/A person having the tastes, manners, or other characteristics of the 3/aristocracy: a natural aristocrat who insists on the best accommodations.
4/A person who advocates government by an aristocracy.
One considered the best of its kind: the aristocrat of cars.
Old 01-27-06, 07:00 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 644 Likes on 444 Posts
Originally Posted by AndyCleveland
What is funny about "shitting" in your wife's mouth while your son is "f-king" her?
That should be a quote on the front of the box.

Seriously though, what's funny about it is that it's taboo. When people are presented with things that make them uncomfortable, they have one of two perfectly natural but seemingly contradictory possibly reactions: revulsion or laughter. You seem to fall into the latter category regarding this joke.

also, what is funny about the punchline?
It's ironic, giving such an obscene act such a flaunty name. As the comedians in the film point out, the punchline isn't that funny.
Old 01-27-06, 10:30 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 132 Likes on 77 Posts
Originally Posted by AndyCleveland
...and i dont understand why anyone would be compelled to make a movie about this "joke."
"It's the singer, not the song." The movie isn't about the "joke", it's about style and creativity.

Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.