Old 11-19-05, 11:40 AM
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Good luck.
Old 11-19-05, 01:09 PM
boe
Suspended

I'm hoping that all the movies they F$@#$ us over and only released 4:3 will be released on BluRay in WS so I don't feel as bad about double dipping. I wouldn't necessarily upgrade these to BR since they aren't serious graphics intense movies with serious sound tracks but to get WS, I would double dip.
I'm going to hold off on double dipping for any other BR movies until I can get them in DTS HD.

Doc Hollywood
Remo Williams
Prophecy 5
Colossus: The Forbin Project
Old 11-19-05, 01:41 PM
Banned

I don't think anything will be in full-screen on HD except for the movies that are supposed to be.
Old 11-20-05, 04:00 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by boe
Prophecy 5
Do you mean the direct-to-DVD sequel from Dimension/Miramax? It was 1.85:1 wasn't it?
Old 11-20-05, 08:49 AM
boe
Suspended

Prophecy: Forsaken - I haven't received it yet and now I can't find it in pricesearch but for some reason I thought it was full screen.
Old 11-20-05, 08:56 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by digitalfreaknyc
I don't think anything will be in full-screen on HD except for the movies that are supposed to be.
What on earth makes you think that?
Old 11-20-05, 10:15 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by NatrlBornThrllr
What on earth makes you think that?
What would be the point of high def 4:3 "fullscreen"? One can't take advantage of the improved resolution offered by the format unless one has an HD display and those are nearly all 16:9.

The only "modified to fit your TV" high def format discs I would expect to see would be those changed to 16:9. That might become the new "fullscreen" for HD. But a 4:3 "fullscreen", unless that is its OAR, seems very unlikely since people buying Blue-ray or HD would only do so if they have a 16:9 HD display (or plan to get one in the near future).
Old 11-20-05, 10:53 AM
boe
Suspended

Originally Posted by lizard
...since people buying Blue-ray or HD would only do so if they have a 16:9 HD display (or plan to get one in the near future).
While I wish everyone would jump on the 16:9 HD bandwagon, there is no guaranteeing what people will own or buy or want to. I know people who have over 1000 DVDs yet I would never want to watch one at their place as their TVs are puny, old and crappy some don't even have surround sound! I only have 350 DVDs but my TV is pretty darn good (and my surround is VERY good although I'm not Bill Gates so yes there is MUCH room for improvement ) and I'll probably upgrade in 2 years when I can get a 1080p 60fps TV and a DTS-HD/Dolby Digital plus preamp.

Don't expect logical choices from everyone - just watch daytime TV (if you want to punish yourself) and see what crap some people enjoy watching. I myself am guilty - I just watched Stealth and enjoyed it

Last edited by boe; 11-20-05 at 10:57 AM.
Old 11-20-05, 11:48 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

This is a good film, no news that I know of though. This should be made available in A-WS along with other crappy Warner FS transfers, most notably Jim Carrey's Ace Ventura: Pet Detective, I would love to have that made available in a nice A-WS transfer.