Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > DVD Talk
Reload this Page >

Need help with Invaders From Mars (1953) - two Image DVDs?

DVD Talk Talk about DVDs and Movies on DVD including Covers and Cases

Old 11-11-05, 04:53 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

This is a favorite of DVDSavant's ... he may have written more about it on this site than any other movie:

http://www.dvdtalk.com/dvdsavant/s691mars.html

I saw it years ago on TV and am looking into purchasing it.

It appears to be available in two different versions from Image ---

as a double feature with "The Crawling Eye":

http://www.deepdiscountdvd.com/redir...fier=IMA002157

and a "50th Anniversary Special Edition"

http://www.deepdiscountdvd.com/redir...fier=IMA001362

The 50th Anniversary SE is about twice as much as the double feature.

I haven't found any review detailing the differences between the two discs. Can anyone provide any information? The SE lists a trailer, the complete alternate British version of the film, a photo gallery, and a booklet. I wouldn't expect the British version on the double feature, but does anyone know if any of the other special features are on it?
Old 11-11-05, 05:28 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I think there is just the one disc.

The "double feature" is simply the two original DVDs with the keep cases shrink wrapped together. Image did this with a number of titles.

I picked up the 2 pack of THE CRAWLING EYE and INVADERS FROM MARS and the British version is there. Or did I get lucky and get a pre-pack with a Special Edition?
Old 11-11-05, 09:29 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Steve is right. According to Image's own site, the two-pack comes with the SE of Invaders From Mars:

http://www.image-entertainment.com/d...roductID=12061

What a deal.
Old 11-12-05, 03:17 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Thanks gentlemen. Very odd that the package with the two discs is about half the price of the single disc of IFM alone.

The prices follow this same pattern on dvdpricesearch and pricegrabber so it isn't just DDD.

I have already placed my order with DDD for the two-pack. This is indeed a great deal as IFM is well worth the $7-$10 it sells for (IMO), not even counting the bonus of TCE.
Old 11-12-05, 03:33 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer

Originally Posted by obscurelabel
I have already placed my order with DDD for the two-pack. This is indeed a great deal as IFM is well worth the $7-$10 it sells for (IMO), not even counting the bonus of TCE.
- Having seen both, I can tell you that TCE is better than you would think based upon its packaging. If you like IFM, you'll probably also like TCE.
Old 11-14-05, 03:35 AM

The two-pack has a unique UPC which is on the top edge of the shrink wrap and on a cardboard band around the two dvds. The rear of the case has "SOLD AS A PACKAGE DO NOT SEPARATE" printed in a white box in the usual UPC spot. It's marketing, slap two slow selling catalog dvds together and sell them as a set. I bought a couple of the other sets for around $7 a few years ago, when the wonderful phenomenon of dvd price drops took hold. Original MSRP on TCE was $24.95!
I first saw TCE on tv at least 40 years ago and it's still cool, at least the ending. I mean, how many crawling eye monster movies are there anyway?
Old 11-14-05, 04:45 AM

They are absolutely identical discs; Image simply repackaged them. The single discs are priced that way because they were released quite early in the DVD market, when single discs (even obscure ones like these) were all priced that way.

When they were repackaged as double discs, they got repriced to the by then prevailing cheaper price trend.

You might also wish to know that Invaders from Mars has been repackaged again, as part of their Mission to Mars collection, with two other films - and that this works out even cheaper per film than the two-packs. Though if you want The Crawling Eye , you'll have to buy that on it's own.

Many of their films are getting this treatment.

Check out their Alien Attack and Monster Madness collections.

As a headsup, the current Stranger from Venus/Cosmic Man double will be re-released aspart of their Watch the Skies Collection , and it will include the hard to find (and very expensive) The Flying Saucer. - out next Spring.