Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > DVD Talk
Reload this Page >

Newbie Star Wars Q

DVD Talk Talk about DVDs and Movies on DVD including Covers and Cases

Newbie Star Wars Q

Old 11-11-05, 10:49 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Newbie Star Wars Q

With all this talk about Star Wars...... My 7yr old son, saw one of them. DOnt remember which. He really loved it and wants to see the rest.

Since Christmas is coming up -- where should I start? What should I get him? When I glanced on ebay - even the Trilogy has several different versions. 4-5-6 DVD sets? Looking thru eBay just confused me. But which should he watch first? What should I buy?

Please advise.
Old 11-11-05, 10:52 AM

Old 11-11-05, 10:53 AM
Banned

Location: Right now, my location is DVDTalk, but then again, you should already know that, shouldn't you?
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Buy the widescreen boxed set of Episodes IV, V and VI (the silver box), as well as the individual widescreen releases of Episodes I, II and III; then, have him watch them in the order I've mentioned them. If he's been really good, throw in the less-than-$10 EWOK ADVENTURES double feature.
Old 11-11-05, 11:01 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
And don't bother with ebay. There are too many bootlegs on there. Go with www.deepdiscountdvd.com and use the code "dvdtalk" at check out to save 20% on your purchase!
Old 11-11-05, 11:09 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Yeah use the DVDTALK code for 20% off and get these:

Episode 1: http://www.deepdiscountdvd.com/dvd.cfm?itemID=FXD002391
Episode 2: http://www.deepdiscountdvd.com/dvd.cfm?itemID=FXD005539
Episode 3: http://www.deepdiscountdvd.com/dvd.cfm?itemID=FXD030309
Episodes 4-6: http://www.deepdiscountdvd.com/dvd.cfm?itemid=FXD022341

And I second the recommendation for the Ewok double-feature. It's dirt-cheap, and most kids seem to love these movies. 7 years old sounds just about perfect:

http://www.deepdiscountdvd.com/dvd.cfm?itemID=FXD024227
Old 11-11-05, 11:17 AM

As this thread grows, ignore those people (including George Lucas) who tell you to watch the movies in sequential order (i.e. 1,2,3,4,5,6) . . . the movies should be watched in the order they were released. Don't let anyone tell you otherwise.
Old 11-11-05, 11:18 AM
DVD Talk Legend

I say get the original VHS tapes first.
Old 11-11-05, 11:59 AM

Originally Posted by Snowmaker
I say get the original VHS tapes first.
Yes. Get the big VHS box with Vader's face on it; it's the original trilogy in widescreen glory.
Old 11-11-05, 12:02 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Buy the widescreen boxed set of Episodes IV, V and VI (the silver box), as well as the individual widescreen releases of Episodes I, II and III; then, have him watch them in the order I've mentioned them. If he's been really good, throw in the less-than-$10 EWOK ADVENTURES double feature.
Agreed! Watch Star Wars, Empire Strikes Back, and Return of the Jedi first. Then watch the prequels in order.
Old 11-11-05, 12:05 PM

Wow, thanks for all the replies!

We dont even own a VCR, so that is out.

He has been a "very good boy" this year. He is now sharing his mom, dad, home and life with his 2 & 3yr old cousins. Pretty hard for an only child. :-)

But his wish list is very long (& with extra children this year), cant spend that much on Star Wars. I'll start him w/the Trilogy.

He has a huge wish list of DVDs (sounds like he will be here chatting w/you guys in a couple years).
Old 11-11-05, 12:25 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts
You should also get the Clone Wars Vol.1 and 2 (Dec. release) so he can watch them after Ep. 2. and as already suggested; watch the original trilogy then view the prequels after.
Old 11-11-05, 12:57 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Buy the "Das Boot" editions
Old 11-11-05, 01:01 PM
Fok
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Yep buy the silver box from any store of Ep 4-6 (watch them first), then buy Ep 1-3. Remember always buy widescreen!
Old 11-11-05, 01:03 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

shouldn't this be in Movie Talk?
Old 11-11-05, 01:06 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by nodeerforamonth
shouldn't this be in Movie Talk?
The OP was specifically asking what *DVDs* of Star Wars were available and what to buy...
Old 11-11-05, 02:10 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts
Originally Posted by sdspears
Wow, thanks for all the replies!

We dont even own a VCR, so that is out.

He has been a "very good boy" this year. He is now sharing his mom, dad, home and life with his 2 & 3yr old cousins. Pretty hard for an only child. :-)

But his wish list is very long (& with extra children this year), cant spend that much on Star Wars. I'll start him w/the Trilogy.

He has a huge wish list of DVDs (sounds like he will be here chatting w/you guys in a couple years).
If the budget is a concern, you may want to consider getting the set that's coming out December 6th. It's the same as the set that's out now, but minus the 4th disc of extras. I don't know how much cheaper it is, but the MSRP is $20 less than the current set. I know this option won't be popular with others on the board, but if he's not into extras I don't see what would be wrong with getting that one. It probably won't be the last edition you're going to buy.
Old 11-11-05, 02:46 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Drexl
If the budget is a concern, you may want to consider getting the set that's coming out December 6th. It's the same as the set that's out now, but minus the 4th disc of extras. I don't know how much cheaper it is, but the MSRP is $20 less than the current set. I know this option won't be popular with others on the board, but if he's not into extras I don't see what would be wrong with getting that one. It probably won't be the last edition you're going to buy.
The three disc set will be less than 36.00? If not, I would STRONGLY suggest picking up the four disc set. The extras disc is worth every penny. And the set is only 36.00 at Deep Discount DVD after you take off their 20% code.

And if you're just looking for a great collection of the movies, yeah, these are probably the last Star Wars DVDs you will have to buy. The nerds around here will wet themselves to get a new collection even if Lucas adds one picture still to the bonus features on a re-release.
Old 11-11-05, 03:05 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by calhoun07
The nerds around here will wet themselves to get a new collection even if Lucas adds one picture still to the bonus features on a re-release.
Old 11-11-05, 03:10 PM

I ordered the Trilogy from DDD. Ok - dont flame me, I've never paid attention to if I was purchasing WS or FS. Dont most have both options on it when you go to play it? I did buy WS as suggested. But curious. Yes, I know the difference between FS/WS.
Old 11-11-05, 03:46 PM

Some DVD releases do provide both WS and FS, either on one disc (sometimes a flipper) or on two discs. But it seems that's more common with older releases and now more often, you get separate WS and FS releases.

Also, in some cases, a two-disc release is discontinued and replaced with a one-disc only, in which case you wind up with only FS. This is what happened with Shrek, IIRC. There was a two disc with both WS and FS. Then it was replaced with a one-disc that eliminated the disc with the WS format.

Some movies are available only in FS. And that just sucks.

Concerning Star Wars - Watching the OT first preserves the "surprise" about who Luke's father is. That bomb may be blown depending on which movie your son saw. But hopefully, if he's only 7, he hasn't made the connection or won't remember.

I've found the suggestion of this sequence - IV - V - I - II - III - VI - to be interesting, but don't know if I'd recommend it for a youngster, as it could be confusing for them.

Last edited by Altimus Prime; 11-11-05 at 03:49 PM.
Old 11-11-05, 04:00 PM
Banned

The IV, V, I, II, III, VI order was designed by some person that wanted a big revelation in Episode V to not be spoiled by Episodes I, II and III, yet he wanted VI to be watched last so that it didn't end on a "downer". Unfortunately, the guy who thought up this "brilliant" idea never realized that there's another big revelation in Episode VI that is spoiled in Episode III. I think there's a good case for watching them in the order in which they were released, but I personally think Lucas is right and they should be watched in numerical order. Seeing the events of the prequel trilogy really enhances the character of Darth Vader in the original trilogy, and I think the overall chronological character arc is more valuable than preserving a couple of shocking revelations that still have weight when "spoiled" because they still remain shocking to the characters they're being revealed to. There's no doubt in MY mind, watch them in the order of 1-6.
Old 11-11-05, 04:03 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

The best thing I heard is to watch Episodes 4-6, and then watch Episodes 1-6. So, you'll be rewatching the original trilogy, but with new light shed on it.
Old 11-11-05, 05:51 PM
DVD Talk Legend

My recommended viewing...

IV, V, VI, I, II, III, IV, V, and finally VI.

Yes, that's right, watch the OT TWICE!
Old 11-11-05, 06:01 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Yah, that's all very clever but everyone here is wrong.

You need to watch all six films SIMULTANEOUSLY.

Just like this guy:

http://www.weirdhat.com/swsimultaneously/stuff.php

This thread can now be closed.

Thank you.
Old 11-11-05, 08:31 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 23 Likes on 11 Posts
Mesa loves the widescreen.

Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.