DVD Talk Talk about DVDs and Movies on DVD including Covers and Cases

How do you watch tv boxsets?

Old 11-07-05, 08:27 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

How do you watch tv boxsets?

I usually watch one disc at a time in yearly order-never skip around from yr to yr or episode to episode.
Old 11-07-05, 08:32 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

I usually take a set and focus on it straight through. I try to stay in order except for South Park and some other cartoons. Order does not mean much on those. I get involved when watching drama tv. Sopranos S5 was watched in 2.5 days.
Old 11-07-05, 08:33 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

I watch a whole season in order. I'm still trying to catch up on a few shows, such as S4 of South Park and S6 of The Simpsons. I'm trying to get caught up on these two series before the next seasons come out.
Old 11-07-05, 08:37 PM
Retired

Whole season in order.
Old 11-07-05, 08:38 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Put disk in player. Hit "play". Look at screen.
Old 11-07-05, 08:38 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Definitely whole seasons in order.
Old 11-07-05, 08:39 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Usually I watch them as I buy them and after that they don't see any daylight, at least that's how it's been for the last year.
Old 11-07-05, 08:42 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I recently got smallville season one and two and I watched the first season in 2 days and the second season the next 2 days. It was a smallville marathon.

In the past I tried watching different seasons simultaneously but I got lost and I didn't get into it as much and some of the times I didn't remember what was the last episode I last watched.
Old 11-07-05, 08:51 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Whole season in order.

What about broadcast order vs. written order? As far as story content, I've noticed this with a few episodes of MASH.
Old 11-07-05, 09:06 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

For shows I love, Buffy, Angel, The X-Files, Friends and Smallville, I can watch the entire season in 1 day off.

Animated shows, like an above poster mentioned, I tend to spread out over a few days since story lines generally don't exist beyond each individual show.

Older shows I watched growing up, Quantum Leap, In Living Color, Frasier, and Cheers usually sit on my shelf a bit a take a backseat to other movies and TV shows I buy. I still enjoy them but they aren't a priority.
Old 11-07-05, 09:19 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Usually have 3 or 4 sets I'm watching, each one a different genre. That way, if I feel like some comedy or drama or scifi, I go the the season set that's in progress, and always watch a season in order. For example, right now I'm working my way through 3rd Rock (S2), NYPD (S2) and Hercules (S1).

And I no longer try to rely on my memory - inside each set is a post-it to remind me what episode is next.
Old 11-07-05, 09:25 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Originally Posted by nodeerforamonth
Put disk in player. Hit "play". Look at screen.
Damn, I was gonna say that!

It depends what show it is, if it's a show that each episode plays off the other (i.e. 24, Buffy, etc.) then I watch them in order. But, if it's a show that doesn't do that (i.e. He-Man, Full House, etc.) then usually I will still watch them in order but if I forget what episodes I've watched then I'll skip around
Old 11-07-05, 09:32 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

If it's a series I haven't seen before, then I ususally watch it in order. If I have seen it before, then I just skip around the watch the episodes I like.
Old 11-07-05, 09:45 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

I watch the seasons in order... but im usually going through 5 or 6 sets at the same time... certain shows like the later seasons of Buffy or shows that aired less than 6 months previously though I only watch certain episodes and the features...
Old 11-07-05, 10:12 PM

It depends.

A few, like Babylon 5, Battlestar Galatica, Deadwood, you have to watch in order to understand what is going on.

Others, like Star Trek, it helps to watch in order but is not really necessay.

Many, like Outer Limits, Twilight Zone, most sitcoms, it doesnt really matter.

On the ones that dont matter I usually watch a whole disk, sometimes in order sometime not. I do this primarily to keep track of what I've already watched. With sets that have 4, 5 or more disks, and 4 or more episodes per disk if you skip around between disks its hard to remember which episodes you've already watched.
Old 11-08-05, 12:04 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Whole season in order. Sometimes I can watch one in a day - if I have absolutely nothing else going on. Other times, I can watch anywhere form one episode a day, to one disc a day. Totally depends on my mood and how much time I have to watch.

Like other have stated, the only time I jump around with stuff is if it's a show like Kids In The Hall, or something else that doesn't neccessarily go in a chronological order. Or, if it's after I've already watched a particular season(s) - then I may just watch a fave episode when the mood strikes me.
Old 11-08-05, 12:07 AM
DVD Talk Legend

I start with the last episode, and work my way backwards, even for shows I've never seen before.
Old 11-08-05, 12:35 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

It depends, something like Family Guy or South Park, I skip around! Shows like 24 and others with a heavy storyline, I watch the whole season in order
Old 11-08-05, 01:45 AM

Depends on what show it is. I generally blaze through them and then go back and rewatch certain eps.
Old 11-08-05, 02:55 AM
DVD Talk Legend

I was like nightmaster. I'd buy them, watch them through disc by disc, and then put them on a shelf to never be seen again. I've since started using Netflix or Hollywood Video for my tv viewing, so that I'm not wasting all that money on watching them once.

I still watch them in order by season and episode.
Old 11-08-05, 03:10 AM

Originally Posted by marty888
And I no longer try to rely on my memory - inside each set is a post-it to remind me what episode is next.
That's a good idea!

I watch TV shows in order, even if it's something like the simpsons or south park. If the show is engaging enough, I'll finish it in a night or two. I still haven't had a 24 hour '24' marathon yet. (I know it's only 45 minutes an episode, but I'll have a half-time --->I've got it all figured out!)
Old 11-08-05, 03:47 AM

I try to make a whole season last at least a week. I dont like to power through a set and than sit thinking what i need to buy next.
Old 11-08-05, 07:13 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Whole seasons, in order... there is no other way!
Old 11-08-05, 08:47 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Whole seasons, in order.

I do this with drama or comedy. Comedy is iffy as I watch the series in order as they are on the discs, not necessarily in production order.(Bob Newhart)
Old 11-08-05, 08:54 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Whole season in order.

Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.