DVD Talk Talk about DVDs and Movies on DVD including Covers and Cases

Dark City Director's Cut Coming in 2006

Search this Thread

Old 07-14-08, 04:23 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 314 Likes on 215 Posts
Originally Posted by toddly6666
The theatrical version is not on it...this is just the Director's Cut
are you sure? DVDActive reported when it was announced that it would contain both cuts:
http://www.dvdactive.com/news/releases/dark-city.html

additionally, the back cover art that they have for the Blu-ray disc specifically states that the original theatrical cut is included. maybe that's a feature exclusive to the Blu-ray disc and DVDActive got confused with the announcement?
Old 07-14-08, 04:56 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Dammit. If it doesnt have both cuts then im gonna have to get my old copy back. I want to have both.
Old 07-14-08, 05:01 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I watched the DARK CITY DIRECTOR'S CUT DVD yesterday. It's just as good as the Theatrical Cut. It's like saying which Blade Runner version is better. The Theatrical Cut of Dark City was already a masterpiece. The new Director's Cut is still the same masterpiece. The biggest difference in the Director's Cut is the pace of the film - the new cut is a calmer, not-as-speedy paced cut as the original. There's more room to breath. Some people like breathers, while some people like movies shot like one long movie trailer. I like both versions equally. I think I would prefer the Director's Cut because I have watched the Theatrical Cut over and over that it's nice to see something slightly different.

The nice addition to the Director's Cut are more scenes/more dialogue of the Strangers. I love these guys.

DARK CITY THEATRICAL CUT: A+
DARK CITY DIRECTOR'S CUT: A+

The DVD has DD 5.1 EX by the way...so I guess the audio was remastered.
Biggest question is, did they eliminate Kiefer Sutherland's opening narration that gives away some of the surprise?
Old 07-14-08, 05:59 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

yup, if you want both theatrical and director's cut, you have to buy the Blu Ray...the new DVD is just the Director's Cut....

And yes, they eliminated the opening narration....
Old 07-14-08, 06:09 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
yup, if you want both theatrical and director's cut, you have to buy the Blu Ray...the new DVD is just the Director's Cut....

And yes, they eliminated the opening narration....
Bastards!
Old 07-14-08, 06:28 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Rammsteinfan
Dammit. If it doesnt have both cuts then im gonna have to get my old copy back. I want to have both.
Very disappointing that both cuts are not included, especially when it was advertised as such.
Old 07-14-08, 06:34 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

I just picked up the Original release in a keep case (sold my snapper a month or two ago) for $5.99 at Borders a few mins ago. *shakes fist at New Line*
Old 07-17-08, 02:03 PM

Confirmed by New Line customer service:
Dear Customer,
Thank you for contacting Newline Shop.
No, the new director's cut version only contains the director's cut, not both.
Old 07-17-08, 02:11 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Any extras on either the original DVD release or the new DVD release not found on the Blu-ray release?
Old 07-17-08, 02:54 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Good reason to keep the old disc.
Old 07-17-08, 02:56 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

The extras from the old disc are not on the new disc, but at least the extras on the new one are new featurettes...So if you really cared about the theatrical cut and the old extras, then keep the old one. Although they did add the Ebert commentary from the theatrical cut to the director's cut dvd.
Old 07-17-08, 03:32 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Well, good thing I decided to hang on to the previous disc.
Old 07-17-08, 03:49 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I thought Ebert mentioned recording a new commentary a few years ago?
Are you sure it's the same one from the previous release?
Old 07-17-08, 03:52 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

I'm pretty sure...Proyas recorded a new commentary, Ebert is in a new featurette, but I'm pretty sure Ebert's commentary is the same as on the old disc. I'll check later to be sure...
Old 07-17-08, 03:58 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 87 Likes on 55 Posts
Since I still own the original DVD release, I'm not too upset by the theatrical version not being on this new set. I'll probably wait and get the Blu-ray version anyway.
Old 07-19-08, 05:03 PM
DVD Talk Legend

BR screencaps are up at DVD Beaver.
Old 07-20-08, 11:53 AM

Didn't they say the visual effects were altered on this? The DVDBeaver review mentions nothing of that.
Old 07-20-08, 12:51 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

It was stated back when it was first announced that it had some updates to the SFX. My friend got a copy of the DVD yesterday and I am going to see it today. He said he didnt really notice any differences in SFX but he hasnt seen it for years. More on it later today hopefully.
Old 07-20-08, 01:00 PM
Banned

How do the commentaries work on the new disk.
Are they the same on the directors cut as they were on the regular theatrical cut dvd?
How do they incorporate them n the new version if they are the same? New comments or dead air when there are new scenes?
Old 07-20-08, 01:33 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I can't wait for this release. Looks like I'll try to find the theatrical cut in a keep case though as well.
Old 07-20-08, 01:38 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Oh and, question, does the newer pressings of Dark City in a keep case have a different UPC?
Old 07-20-08, 04:37 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

The UPC on my newer keep case Dark City is 9404346572. Not sure if thats the same as the snapper.

Saw the new DC and notice the following:

THe opening is different. The original shows scenes of the city and traffic intercut w/ Keifer. The new version only shows him and no other shots before the titles.

When john first goes to the lobby after waking up, he makes the woman fall out of the phone booth and in the original she was already on the floor.

John looks at his fingerprints before entering the automat was new.

John's tuning in the automat appears to be new SFX. The wave was smoother and larger than original.

I think the creature that comes out of the strangers head was slightly differnt. Could have just been the print was cleaner and brighter colors. ?

The scenes from the original opening of traffic and the city are now in the first major tuning scene about 40 mins in.

Around 1 hour, things begain to change. WE started losing track between the two films.

The colors are better than the original release. the BR screens that show better color are acurate compared to the older release.

Didnt even think of checking the commentaries. We watched the film and I had to go.
Old 07-24-08, 04:55 PM

Originally Posted by chris_sc77
How do the commentaries work on the new disk.
Are they the same on the directors cut as they were on the regular theatrical cut dvd?
How do they incorporate them n the new version if they are the same? New comments or dead air when there are new scenes?
I got this today.

The commentaries are all new - I haven't listened to all of them but both Proyas and Ebert talk about the fact that this is the Director's Cut.

When using the 'Play All' button, the documentaries are 82 minutes long.
Old 07-24-08, 05:58 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by Temujen
I got this today.

The commentaries are all new - I haven't listened to all of them but both Proyas and Ebert talk about the fact that this is the Director's Cut.

When using the 'Play All' button, the documentaries are 82 minutes long.
Thanks but I have heard different things. One the back of the DVD box it sys they are newly expanded which led me to believe they are a mix of old and new comments. Strange. I wonder if one would need to listen to the commentaries on the old release and the new release to get all the information. Also how many commentaries are on the new dvd? I have heard there were two but also a 3rd with a writer or someone?
Old 07-24-08, 06:54 PM

Three commentaries:

1. Proyas
2. Ebert
3. Goyer and Dobbs

I only listened to the first few minutes of each commentary, so maybe they did mix old and new commentaries - I hadn't thought about that possibility.

The documentaries are informative but a bit strange - Hurt, Connelly and Sutherland do not take part at all and the last 30 minutes consists only of some professors talking about their opinion on certain aspects of the movie.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.