Community
Search
DVD Talk Talk about DVDs and Movies on DVD including Covers and Cases

Dark City Director's Cut Coming in 2006

Search this Thread

Old 11-20-06, 05:57 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
thanks for the feedback, is the case still a snapper? Also, from what I've been reading looks like the discs is a flipper with WS/FS on either side?

thanks.
Old 11-20-06, 07:07 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,302 Likes on 946 Posts
Originally Posted by Duh Vuh Duh
thanks for the feedback, is the case still a snapper? Also, from what I've been reading looks like the discs is a flipper with WS/FS on either side?

thanks.
Not positive but I think it's still a snapper. Yes, one side is WS and the other is FS.
Old 11-25-06, 05:45 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
A shame that this seems to have been apparently moved to 2007, I was really looking forward to it. Oh well, Warner's got my money next year (this, L.A. Confidential, Kubrick).
Old 11-26-06, 02:27 AM

Originally Posted by gutwrencher

Hi gutwrencher, you wouldn't happen to have that pic in high res, would ya? That would make a great wallpaper. PM me if you want to.

Thanks in advance!
Old 11-26-06, 06:57 PM

Originally Posted by ShagMan
She's in the same exact shot, in three seperate movies: Dark City, Requiem for a Dream, and House of Sand and Fog. Each of the instances are supposedly just coincidence, how about that?

Any screen captures??? Im immensely curious too.....
Old 11-26-06, 07:21 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,302 Likes on 946 Posts
Originally Posted by blessthemess
Any screen captures??? Im immensely curious too.....
I think there were caps done in a thread in Movie Talk. I'll try to search later (it's disabled right now) if no one else beats me to it. It's pretty odd, the similarities.
Old 11-27-06, 12:22 AM
Banned

I'm waiting for a movie with both Jennifer Connelly on a pier and John Cusack in the rain.
Old 12-19-06, 03:55 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Anyone, seen dark city in a keep case, dvdcompare says it's now in a keepcase, but just wondering if anybody has seen any at B&M's and if so, which ones?

Any help appreciated.
Old 12-19-06, 07:57 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 33 Likes on 26 Posts
I just got a copy during the last DDD sale, and it was still in a snapper. All the B&M I have seen, also snapper.
Old 02-02-07, 02:21 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally Posted by Duh Vuh Duh
Anyone, seen dark city in a keep case, dvdcompare says it's now in a keepcase, but just wondering if anybody has seen any at B&M's and if so, which ones?

Any help appreciated.
Anybody, just wanted to see if anyone else has ever seen this in a keepcase? And if so, where?

thanks.
Old 02-02-07, 05:38 PM

I have R4's Dark City and it is in an amaray/keepcase. If you are interested in the cover art, it is the Roadshow Home Entertainment's. Personally I bought R1 for xtra features and replaced the snapper case.

Last edited by Apone; 02-02-07 at 05:41 PM.
Old 02-02-07, 10:16 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I just downloaded a custom cover at r1db and slipped it into a blank case. Hate them snappers; they stick out too far.
Old 07-16-07, 03:14 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Just saw this at Dread Central:

Remember when David Goyer wasn’t known for writing stuff like Blade and Alex Proyas was known as the only guy to get The Crow right? Back in those days the two of theme joined up for a film that’s never gotten the respect I feel it deserved, though to look back on it’s pretty amazing it saw maninstream release; Dark City.

For the longest time the only option we’ve had to watch it on digitially is the crappy, first generation bare bones DVD but, according to chat Goyer had on Fangoria Radio recently (thanks to Twitch Film for the heads up), that’s about to change.

He revealed that he and Proyas just finished up work on a brand new, bells and whitiles filled director’s cut of the film, complete with enhanced special effects and improved sound. They didn’t give word on when it would be out, of course, but if someone’s dumping this kind of a money could a theatrical release be that out of the question? I think not!

We’ll be sure to keep you in the loop as Dark City: The Director’s Cut develops!
Old 07-16-07, 03:21 PM

Good news! Although I broke down a week or so ago and bought the current version. It was in a keepcase and only $5, hard to beat.
Old 07-16-07, 03:44 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Good to hear its still coming.
Old 07-16-07, 03:46 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

I'm still going to keep the original theatrical cut. Since I love the movie! And there is no guarantee a new cut of the film will be better. But I'm still interested in seeing it.
Old 07-16-07, 03:46 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 36 Likes on 21 Posts
Dark City...was that the original "The Matrix" movie? It's been a while, but I remember seeing "The Matrix", and thinking it ripped off "Dark City".
Old 07-16-07, 04:46 PM

For the longest time the only option we’ve had to watch it on digitially is the crappy, first generation bare bones DVD but, according to chat Goyer had on Fangoria Radio recently (thanks to Twitch Film for the heads up), that’s about to change.
I want a super special edition too, but it's hardly fair to call the original edition "bare bones" - that DVD was pretty stacked for the time it was released!
Old 07-16-07, 04:49 PM
DVD Talk Hero

I like the idea of enhanced special effects as I always thought the end battle was a bit cheesy. [Puts on flame-retardent suit]
Old 07-16-07, 06:38 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

That's some good news! Hopefully it's sooner rather than later.
Old 07-16-07, 06:45 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by Rammsteinfan
Just saw this at Dread Central:

I just watched Dark City on my 62" and it looked pretty good to me. Obviously I would love an HD release, but it is not "crappy."

Bare Bones? There are two commentaries: An excellent one by Roger Ebert, and a decent compilation one with various members of the crew.

Full specs (from dvdcompare.net):
Commentaries:Audio Commentary by Director Alex Proyas, Writers Lem Dobbs and David S. Goyer, Director Of Photography Dariusz Wolski and Production Designer Patrick Tatopoulos
Audio Commentary by Film Critic Roger Ebert
Extras:12 Cast And Crew Biographies
Set Designs (15images)
The Metropolis Comparison:
- 'Metropolis'
- 'H.G. Wells' 1927 Review'
- 'Original Weekly Variety Review'
'Neil Gaiman on Dark City' Notes
Theatrical Trailer (2:21)
"To Shell Beach..." Interactive Game

Ok, some of the other extras are kind of old school DVD extras, but I've always been happy with this release.

Any additional releases will just be icing on the cake. I would love a Goyer only or a Goyer/Proyas Commentary.
Old 07-16-07, 08:06 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
I completely forgot this was supposed to come out. Glad to see it's still going to see the light of day. It's been a while since I last watched this, and now this thread makes me want to view it again. I hope the new cut goes theatrical.
Old 07-17-07, 12:08 AM
Banned

Dark City...was that the original "The Matrix" movie? It's been a while, but I remember seeing "The Matrix", and thinking it ripped off "Dark City".
I'm not some "Matrix" apologist (I think the first film is overrated, I think there's a superior sequel spread across two crappy ones and I think the entire trilogy is very pretentious) but I have to defend it here.

"Dark City" predates "The Matrix" but their releases were so close together that by the time "Dark City" was released "The Matrix" was already in production. The roofs that Trinity is chased across in "The Matrix" were even re-used "Dark City" sets. That's how close the two productions were.

Granted, some will make the claim that the Wachowskis may have had access to "Dark City" material given the fact that they were both produced by Warner Bros. (comic writer Grant Morrison essentially made this claim about the Wachowskis ripping off "The Invisibles" which was published by DC/Vertigo which is also Warner Bros.) but I feel that's pretty unlikely.
Old 07-17-07, 02:00 PM

Roof shots

The roof shots in Dark City seem almost identical to the roof shots in The Matrix, something that caught my eye having been a fan of the Matrix since it came out and having just recently seen Dark City. Same deal with the pier and red dress scene.
Old 07-17-07, 03:56 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally Posted by PopcornTreeCt
I like the idea of enhanced special effects as I always thought the end battle was a bit cheesy. [Puts on flame-retardent suit]
I agree that the "battle" at the end was easily the worst part of the film.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.