DVD Talk Talk about DVDs and Movies on DVD including Covers and Cases

"War of the Worlds" (2005) Limited Edition?

Old 11-04-05, 09:52 AM
  #1  
Inane Thread Master, 2018 TOTY
Thread Starter
 
OldBoy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2003
Location: Are any of us really anywhere?
Posts: 37,939
"War of the Worlds" (2005) Limited Edition?

Why is it limited and how many is it limited to?
Is it worth getting over the regular release?
OldBoy is offline  
Old 11-04-05, 12:00 PM
  #2  
DVD Talk Special Edition
 
Join Date: Nov 2003
Posts: 1,701
Originally Posted by scott1598
Why is it limited
Marketing. They put out a "limited" two-disc and can charge more for it, plus it won't get marked down as much because the one-disc is available.

I don't know if this actually does increase the money they get, but the studios sure seem to enjoy doing it sometimes...

how many is it limited to?
Unspecified. I believe they tend to use "limited edition" to mean "Produced for a limited amount of time" on bigger releases (unlike smaller Anchor Bay stuff which is clearly numbered).

Is it worth getting over the regular release?
Up to you, sport. From what I understand, the documentaries on there add up to be the most bonus features on any Spielberg disc yet but, as it's not out yet nor reviewed yet, I don't know if that's true nor if they're worth it.
ThatGuamGuy is offline  
Old 11-04-05, 12:08 PM
  #3  
DVD Talk Legend
 
Join Date: Apr 1999
Location: Docking Bay 94
Posts: 14,259
Don't get it because you think it may be "difficult to find" down the road, that's for sure. It'll be about as rare as the limited Saving Private Ryan... that is, not rare at all.

If the features look worth it to you, go for it. But you can safely ignore the "limited edition" hype on the cover.
bboisvert is offline  
Old 11-04-05, 12:13 PM
  #4  
DVD Talk Special Edition
 
Join Date: Sep 2000
Location: Chicago, IL
Posts: 1,937
What if it's limited like the Batman Begins Deluxe!?

I already pre-ordered a copy of War of the Worlds (2005) Limited Edition. I don't know how limited is but I want the 2 disc version.
kar10 is offline  
Old 11-04-05, 01:08 PM
  #5  
JM1
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2002
Location: London UK
Posts: 331
You gotta laugh at this "Limited" and "Collectors edition" stuff.

I agree with the comment that limited usually means it wlll only be available for a limited amount of time, but there is no telling how long that time will be - could be years, and millions of the things will be produced. They will be around forever, rarely do these things go out of general circulation.

As for "Collectors Edition"", something does not become collectable because you slap a collectable logo on it. They have been doing the same for years with cd's, comics etc. Items become collectable often for the most inexlicable and unpredictable reasons, and you can rarely predict what will become truly collectable.

And spare me those bloody "collectors" boxes with a film cell and a bog standard version of the film as well - give me a break.

But it sure don't become collectable because the people who are selling it to you say so, that's fer sure.

Personally, I go for the film and the content, extras etc. Don't care a toss what the label on the cover says.
JM1 is offline  
Old 11-04-05, 01:49 PM
  #6  
eau
DVD Talk Hall of Fame
 
Join Date: May 2000
Posts: 9,379
Look at the Saving Private Ryan Limited Edition. It's really limited now because it is OOP and has been replaced with a newer edition
eau is offline  
Old 11-04-05, 02:20 PM
  #7  
DVD Talk Special Edition
 
Join Date: Jul 2000
Location: Central Jersey
Posts: 1,195
Technically, every disc you buy is a limited edition. These things won't be produced forever. Some High Defiition format will replace them, something will replace that, etc.
DarthMarino is offline  
Old 11-04-05, 02:32 PM
  #8  
DVD Talk Platinum Edition
 
Join Date: Mar 2000
Location: Astoria, NY, USA
Posts: 3,333
Originally Posted by DarthMarino
Technically, every disc you buy is a limited edition. These things won't be produced forever. Some High Defiition format will replace them, something will replace that, etc.
Eventually, the sun will swallow the Earth, ending all DVD production.

DJ
djtoell is offline  
Old 11-04-05, 05:11 PM
  #9  
DVD Talk Platinum Edition
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: Sunny California
Posts: 3,109
This thread suddenly turned into "WAR OF THE WORD : LIMITED" for a DVD release
xage is offline  
Old 11-07-05, 03:25 PM
  #10  
DVD Talk Special Edition
 
nycdude's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2002
Location: NY
Posts: 1,565
Originally Posted by eau
Look at the Saving Private Ryan Limited Edition. It's really limited now because it is OOP and has been replaced with a newer edition
true. lol
nycdude is offline  
Old 11-07-05, 03:45 PM
  #11  
DVD Talk Special Edition
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Posts: 1,288
Originally Posted by xage
This thread suddenly turned into "WAR OF THE WORD : LIMITED" for a DVD release
Nice one.
exharrison is offline  
Old 11-07-05, 07:15 PM
  #12  
DVD Talk Legend
 
GoldenJCJ's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2000
Location: Colorado
Posts: 13,945
Originally Posted by eau
Look at the Saving Private Ryan Limited Edition. It's really limited now because it is OOP and has been replaced with a newer edition
Which leads me to believe that a better version of the WOTW DVD will be released at a later date.

Although I'll gladly keep my Limited SPR with DTS over the newest edition out.
GoldenJCJ is offline  
Old 11-07-05, 07:44 PM
  #13  
Banned
 
Join Date: Oct 2004
Location: Sand Point
Posts: 2,249
Originally Posted by djtoell
Eventually, the sun will swallow the Earth, ending all DVD production.

DJ
Then we'll just have to go back to laserdiscs, because somehow you just know they'll survive the apocalypse.
Legolas is offline  
Old 11-07-05, 07:51 PM
  #14  
DVD Talk Legend
 
Join Date: Apr 1999
Location: Docking Bay 94
Posts: 14,259
Originally Posted by GoldenJCJ
Although I'll gladly keep my Limited SPR with DTS over the newest edition out.
You know the one in the box set with the extra documentaries has DTS, right?
bboisvert is offline  
Old 11-11-05, 11:04 AM
  #15  
Moderator
 
Giles's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 1999
Location: Washington DC
Posts: 33,495
Originally Posted by bboisvert
You know the one in the box set with the extra documentaries has DTS, right?
so you're saying that the DTS track is exclusive to the Box set... ?
Giles is offline  
Old 11-11-05, 11:13 AM
  #16  
DVD Talk Legend
 
Join Date: Apr 1999
Location: Docking Bay 94
Posts: 14,259
Originally Posted by Giles
so you're saying that the DTS track is exclusive to the Box set... ?
On the newer release from last year? Yep...
bboisvert is offline  

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Thread Tools
Search this Thread

Archive Advertising Cookie Policy Privacy Statement Terms of Service

Copyright 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.