Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > DVD Talk
Reload this Page >

Anyone Heard Anything about Re-Releases of the Criterion Hitchcocks?

DVD Talk Talk about DVDs and Movies on DVD including Covers and Cases

Old 11-02-05, 04:33 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Any news on this? Notorious, Rebecca and Spellbound were supposed to be re-released last year. I believe the MGM sale took the titles off the calendar...

Any news on these guys?
Old 11-02-05, 04:44 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
No.
Old 11-02-05, 05:19 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

The titles are owned by Disney. MGM announced those titles pursuant to a license from Disney, and the cancellation was done quite a while before the sale to Sony, as I recall (and possibly due to rights issues regarding other titles in their announced boxset, leading to a cancellation of the entire thing for the time being). Either way, there's nothing really in motion currently that would lead to these titles ending up back in Criterion's hands.

DJ
Old 11-02-05, 05:30 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Did the David Lean titles that MGM was supposed to release also come into play in this Disney situation? I assume there was some relationship there as well since the Lean set was announced (and un-announced) almost concurrently with the Hitchcock ones.

I've been waiting patiently and hopefully on these, since there are several of the Hitchcock and Lean titles I wanted to pick up at an MGM level price point as opposed to a Criterion level one. Not to mention that some of the CC's are out of print (although not prohibitively hard to find).
Old 11-02-05, 05:56 PM

Originally Posted by Sex Fiend
Did the David Lean titles that MGM was supposed to release also come into play in this Disney situation? I assume there was some relationship there as well since the Lean set was announced (and un-announced) almost concurrently with the Hitchcock ones.
If it is related, it probably isn't involving the Disney license, which would be rather solid (MGM currently has in print a number of Disney titles). Instead, as for some films licensed from another entity, there appears to have been confusion as to whether that license extended to home video. Apparently for some titles, MGM only had broadcast rights where they thought they also had home video rights.

DJ
Old 11-02-05, 06:12 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Thanks for that invaluable input spartanstew!
Old 11-03-05, 12:08 AM
DVD Talk Legend

We need a Hitchcock archive to keep all these threads together. Doesn't bother me to much, as I love to talk Hitch on dvd. I keep hearing more and more people claiming Disney owns the Anchor Bay/criterion titles. I never saw a thread on this, or a trade article, or any other source for it. Not saying its not true, just wanted to know where the info is coming from. At this point I think it has been repeated enough to be accepted as a fact, but no one seems to have a source. anyone shed any light on this info....

you might also try...

From Question concerning Hitchcock Criterion going OOP

Originally Posted by Cameron
MGM had announced a box set re-releasing all of the anchor bay titles as special editions. I believe some commentaries were even recorderd. They were rumored to have come out about the same time as the warner set. However they never set a date, and then the whole MGM/Sony thing went down, and It was stated (as above) that disney turned out to be the rights holder (though i never figured that one out.) SO its all up in the air at this point. Criterion put out a wonderful set, and I hope someone re-releases with different commentaries and Special features.
I also remember hearing that both Criterion and Kino were working on some of the public domain releases as Special Editions, and nothing has come of that....
Old 11-03-05, 09:54 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by Cameron
I keep hearing more and more people claiming Disney owns the Anchor Bay/criterion titles. I never saw a thread on this, or a trade article, or any other source for it. Not saying its not true, just wanted to know where the info is coming from. At this point I think it has been repeated enough to be accepted as a fact, but no one seems to have a source. anyone shed any light on this info....
Look at any of those Hitch titles (on either Anchor Bay or Criterion) and you'll see the copyright info is attributed to the American Broadcast Company (ABC). Disney owns ABC.
Old 11-03-05, 07:02 PM
DVD Talk Legend

thanks, thats helpful.
Old 11-04-05, 02:14 AM

ABC bought the Selznick library many years ago, including all of the Hitchcock films in question. Disney now owns ABC, and ABC's film library along with it. For whatever reason, Disney has tended to license out the ABC titles rather than release them on video themselves. Anchor Bay and MGM have both released a number of titles from the ABC library under license from Disney (e.g., Prizzi's Honor, Spacecamp, Junior Bonner).

If you actually own the Criterion releases of those Hitchcock films, you'll see in the booklets that the restorations of them were led by Scott MacQueen. At the time, Mr. MacQueen led Disney's film restoration efforts.

DJ