Community
Search
DVD Talk Talk about DVDs and Movies on DVD including Covers and Cases

Widescreen Better than Fullscreen An Opinion

Search this Thread

Old 11-04-05, 09:15 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Alan Smithee
Because we shouldn't have to check to make sure we don't accidentally buy the foolscreen release (since there shouldn't even be one to begin with), or have a movie come out ONLY that way. Make them watch it the right way or not at all. And yes, I am an elitist bastard.
A person has to be pretty stupid if they "accidentally" buy a fullscreen dvd. How many movies aren't available in OAR? Probably less than 1%. I'll continue to watch movies in OAR, and I will continue to care less what anyone else chooses to watch in their own home.
Old 11-04-05, 09:18 AM
DVD Talk Reviewer

Received 35 Likes on 31 Posts
Originally Posted by Brett44
A person has to be pretty stupid if they "accidentally" buy a fullscreen dvd.

I guess I'm "pretty stupid" then.
I've done it a couple of times in the past, and all I had to do was swap it out for the WS version. My mistake, but I don't consider myself "stupid" for it.

I'm a widescreen/OAR advocate, but it can happen if you're not paying attention.

Thanks for a broad, sweeping generalization that labels me as stupid. Nice.

Last edited by Pointyskull; 11-04-05 at 09:24 AM.
Old 11-04-05, 09:27 AM

I like to watch my movies in OAR, I could care less what anyone else watches in their own homes. I have no idea why some of you get so worked up because a total stranger wants to watch movies in fullscreen. Why do you care?
One reason I care - when a store stocks more fullscreen than widescreen.

Example - WalMart. When I bought Ep III, I also wanted Ep II. Seemed like more than 3/4 of Ep II were fullscreen. I got a widescreen copy. But a few days later, back at the same store, I noticed all that remained were fullscreen.
Old 11-04-05, 09:59 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by radewagon
It's not as big a deal as people make it out to be because the average viewer doesn't care.
Whether people care has no impact on whether its a big deal.

DJ
Old 11-04-05, 11:15 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I like to watch my movies in OAR, I could care less what anyone else watches in their own homes. I have no idea why some of you get so worked up because a total stranger wants to watch movies in fullscreen. Why do you care?
I don't care what other people watch, but when someone passes false information as fact then I'd have to step in. Had the OP not spoken up then the lady might have thought that the fullscreen version actually contained more than half of the film.
Old 11-04-05, 01:04 PM

I too watch the occasional FS and don't mind terribly. I do, however, have to ask myself, "Self, is this what the director had in mind when he/she shot the film?"
Old 11-04-05, 02:26 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by Alan Smithee
Because we shouldn't have to check to make sure we don't accidentally buy the foolscreen release (since there shouldn't even be one to begin with), or have a movie come out ONLY that way. Make them watch it the right way or not at all. And yes, I am an elitist bastard.
Amen.
Old 11-04-05, 02:43 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

I don't care what others want to buy, but when I'm in Walmart and they only stock Foolscreen because "that's what people want" - I have a problem. This happened to me this week with "Office Space". They didn't even get the Wide Screen IN.
Old 11-04-05, 02:57 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by ShadeRF
So I go to Wally World this morning to pick up Episode 3 and several people were there to pick up the movie. A lady walked up to the kiosk and asked the people standing around if she should get fullscreen or widescreen. The guy standing there pipes in and states "Get fullscreen, it shows more picture and you don't have those annoying black bars on the top and bottom. I of course piped in and explained that in fact in this case the widescreen showed more picture. I was then advised that "That's your opinion" I of course went through explaining why widescreen is superior to the fullscreen transfer but in his stubborness he stated "You are wrong" and walked away with fullscreen copy in hand. Thankfully the lady who asked the question goes "Well... I guess I'll be getting the widescreen copy" Some people will just never get it I guess.

Old 11-04-05, 03:05 PM

Originally Posted by Roy Batty
I too watch the occasional FS and don't mind terribly. I do, however, have to ask myself, "Self, is this what the director had in mind when he/she shot the film?"
I don't really care what the director "had in mind." I'm watching a movie to entertain myself, not the director.

That said, I always go OAR/widescreen because I don't want to watch a distorted image. But I'm not doing it because I want to somehow honor the "director's intent."
Old 11-04-05, 03:28 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 388 Likes on 246 Posts
You've got to remember that these shoppers were in Wal-Mart, and they were buying a Star Wars movie produced and released after 1983... of course they're going to be resistive to logic.

Ah, this whole thread makes me pine for the Letterschlocking FAQ.... http://web.archive.org/web/200402181.../savetele.html

Last edited by kenbuzz; 11-04-05 at 03:31 PM.
Old 11-04-05, 03:36 PM
Rob

That angers me just to read that! I hate stupid people!!!
Old 11-04-05, 04:50 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Last time I posted, some person told me I should be banned for life because I had a contrary opinion to his/hers. Hopefully this won't happen again. Anyway, personally, I prefer widescreen (or OAR for fullscreen vids). The key word is prefer. That's all it really is, a preference.
Hey mods, can we get this guy banned for life or something? I've had it up to here with his contrary opinions.
Old 11-04-05, 06:19 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Funny how whenever somebody doesn't agree with you then that makes them "stupid". I prefer OAR over any other format and tend to not by modified titles. That being said, why is it when people say "I hate those black bars" then that makes them stupid? What they are really saying is "I'd rather give up some image on the edges of the screen than watch a smaller (or really smaller) picture on my current TV. What's wrong with that? They probably bought the largest screen that they could afford and they don't want to watch tiny images on it - even if those images look more look what the movie looked like in the theatre.

I think that people that don't get that this is an acceptable opinion are the "stupid" one that need "educating".
Old 11-05-05, 02:26 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I hope you followed that person home and butchered them in their sleep, obviously they deserved no less. Fullscreen, indeed!
Old 11-05-05, 04:11 PM
Rob

Originally Posted by Peep
That being said, why is it when people say "I hate those black bars" then that makes them stupid?
No, what makes them stupid is that these people believe the top and bottom of the picture are cut off, to make the movie wide and not square.
Old 11-05-05, 04:26 PM
Banned

Location: Right now, my location is DVDTalk, but then again, you should already know that, shouldn't you?
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by Rob
No, what makes them stupid is that these people believe the top and bottom of the picture are cut off, to make the movie wide and not square.
I'm always flabbergasted when I encounter people who believe this. It takes me a good 15-30 seconds to sputter out, "Wh-wh-why, why, why would anyone do that?"
Old 11-05-05, 08:19 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 661 Likes on 458 Posts
Originally Posted by Rob
To be fair, that is a fairly common way to film a widescreen 1.85:1 film. The misperception isn't that the open-matte version has more image, the misperception is that that additional information was meant to be seen or should be seen.
Old 11-05-05, 09:45 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Last time I posted, some person told me I should be banned for life because I had a contrary opinion to his/hers. Hopefully this won't happen again. Anyway, personally, I prefer widescreen (or OAR for fullscreen vids). The key word is prefer. That's all it really is, a preference. I won't insult a person because they choose fullscreen over widescreen. It's not as big a deal as people make it out to be because the average viewer doesn't care. Because when you watch a movie in fullscreen, you're not really losing as much as we'd like to think you are (us being movie obsessed and all). Let's see: Fullscreen. Is the script in tact? Yes. Are the actors acting? Yes. Is the setting there? Yup. Is the sound there? Yup too. I remember growing up with the star wars trilogy in only fullscreen versions. In fact, the new dvds were the first time that I was able to see the original aspect ratio on all three films. And I've seen the comparison shots. They are very very different. But until watching the widescreen versions, I didn't realize any of this and I certainly didn't care. Not being able to see both luke and vader in the same shot while they faught in bespin didn't prevent my brain from filling in the gaps. Fullscreen doesn't destroy a movie because a movie is comprised of so many things. Fullscreen only destroys composition. For me, that's a big deal (even on my 13" TV). For others, composition might not be worth turning an already tiny TV into an even smaller one. And that's their prefernce. No need to call them stupid for not agreeing with you.
You should be banned...
Old 11-06-05, 01:57 AM

toddly6666,

He doesnt like the black bars because he believes it removes some of the image.
Its like arguing with a religous fanatic, you can try explaining to them till hell freezes over and will never ever change their mind.
Old 11-06-05, 01:08 PM

Originally Posted by kenbuzz
Ah, this whole thread makes me pine for the Letterschlocking FAQ.... http://web.archive.org/web/200402181.../savetele.html
er, that's a joke, right?
Old 11-06-05, 01:37 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

It's going to go on and on for as long as they produce 4:3 TV sets. Get them off the shelves and people won't want to buy foolscreen DVDs anymore because they'll have bars on the sides.
Unfortunately, for as long as Joe Average can walk into any Walmart or electronics store and pick up a noname 27 inch set for less than $200, they're going to keep buying them, and they're going to want FS discs to watch on 'em.
Old 11-06-05, 03:38 PM

yeah but when 16:9 sets become standard, there is going to be "full screen" versions of 2.35:1 movies.
Old 11-06-05, 03:49 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

I see this a lot but I don't think it will happen. Don't all 16x9 sets have a zoom feature built into the TV? Voila, no black bars for those that care.
Old 11-06-05, 03:59 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 246 Likes on 157 Posts
Originally Posted by sureAV421
yeah but when 16:9 sets become standard, there is going to be "full screen" versions of 2.35:1 movies.
And you're going to see a lot more movies shot in 1.85:1 as well.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.