DVD Talk Forum

DVD Talk Forum (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/)
-   DVD Talk (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/dvd-talk-3/)
-   -   Widescreen Better than Fullscreen An Opinion (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/dvd-talk/443591-widescreen-better-than-fullscreen-opinion.html)

ShadeRF 11-01-05 10:58 AM

Widescreen Better than Fullscreen An Opinion

So I go to Wally World this morning to pick up Episode 3 and several people were there to pick up the movie. A lady walked up to the kiosk and asked the people standing around if she should get fullscreen or widescreen. The guy standing there pipes in and states "Get fullscreen, it shows more picture and you don't have those annoying black bars on the top and bottom. I of course piped in and explained that in fact in this case the widescreen showed more picture. I was then advised that "That's your opinion" I of course went through explaining why widescreen is superior to the fullscreen transfer but in his stubborness he stated "You are wrong" and walked away with fullscreen copy in hand. Thankfully the lady who asked the question goes "Well... I guess I'll be getting the widescreen copy" Some people will just never get it I guess.

PixyJunket 11-01-05 11:00 AM

Oh brother. -ohbfrank-

Michael T Hudson 11-01-05 11:10 AM

Originally Posted by PixyJunket
Oh brother. -ohbfrank-

:lol:

exharrison 11-01-05 11:16 AM

I don't know why people call the black bars annoying, I find them quite comforting. I almost expect them on everything I watch now.

Joe Molotov 11-01-05 11:17 AM

Well yeah, that's just, like, your opinion, man.

Egon's Ghost 11-01-05 11:18 AM

The more I go through life the more I meet people exactly like that. I can believe it. You should have done the dollar-bill demonstration, but it probably would have been for naught.

Egon's Ghost 11-01-05 11:19 AM

Originally Posted by exharrison
I don't know why people call the black bars annoying, I find them quite comforting. I almost expect them on everything I watch now.

Exactly! I don't like to watch movies on TV because of this (TV broadcast, I mean)

OldBoy 11-01-05 11:52 AM

mte! i want to watch every tv show and movie in WS and can't understand when they are not.

thumbscrews 11-01-05 11:54 AM

some people are really stupid... and most of them don't deserve to live.

Toben 11-01-05 11:55 AM

I just stick two horizontal strips of black paper on the top and bottom of each lens of my glasses, and bingo! Instant widescreen for everything! ;) Of course, when the aspect ratio of the left lens doesn't match up with the right lens, you're in for one hell of a headache :p

John*D 11-01-05 12:10 PM

As long as the DVDs are in their OAR I'm happy, whether that been Widescreen or Fool-Screen!

KOROVAMILK 11-01-05 12:14 PM

This should be simple for everyone with a brain to understand...
This is a square.... This is a rectangle.... it's not quantum physics here...

Ignorance should be educated not entertained!

DjRidz 11-01-05 12:20 PM

I personally love my movies to fill up my entire tv screen.....

Thats why i bought a widescreen TV...

Fok 11-01-05 12:40 PM

stupid fucks, I have shown people the comparisions of ws and fs shots, they still don't get it -ohbfrank-

There's just no way getting through to dumb people. One person even said "no fullscreen is fine because they've modifed it to fit the screen"

Cinemaddiction 11-01-05 12:44 PM

Originally Posted by Joe Molotov
Well yeah, that's just, like, your opinion, man.

http://www.cineclub.de/images/2001/t...lebowski_2.jpg

"Obviously, you're not a movie purist."

Gizmo 11-01-05 12:44 PM

Originally Posted by Egon's Ghost
The more I go through life the more I meet people exactly like that. I can believe it. You should have done the dollar-bill demonstration, but it probably would have been for naught.

Dollar Bill demo? Please explain!

PixyJunket 11-01-05 12:47 PM

Wow. Just, wow. :lol: -ohbfrank-

Cinemaddiction 11-01-05 12:49 PM

Originally Posted by GizmoDVD
Dollar Bill demo? Please explain!

Kind of like the last page in Mad Magazine. Take a dollar, the length represents OAR/Widescreen. Bi-fold each side into the center, making it a perfect box, representing fullscreen. Don't see the entire dollar, don't see what was intended with widescreen.

Fantastic little physical analogy of sorts.

digitalfreaknyc 11-01-05 12:51 PM

Originally Posted by thumbscrews

:up:

PixyJunket 11-01-05 12:53 PM

Originally Posted by Cinemaddiction
Kind of like the last page in Mad Magazine. Take a dollar, the length represents OAR/Widescreen. Bi-fold each side into the center, making it a perfect box, representing fullscreen. Don't see the entire dollar, don't see what was intended with widescreen.

Fantastic little physical analogy of sorts.

So how do you demonstrate that most movies are open matte now with a dollar bill? :lol:

natevines 11-01-05 12:53 PM

It's because you've become accustomed to them. A few years ago I WASN'T accustomed to them, and I wondered how anyone could watch a widescreen movie. Now I feel the opposite way. It's understandable that it's annoying when you've been watching FS your whole life, but it's worth the switch.

PixyJunket 11-01-05 12:54 PM

Originally Posted by thumbscrews

I'd say this thread in an excellent demonstration of this.

exharrison 11-01-05 01:06 PM

Originally Posted by natevines
It's because you've become accustomed to them. A few years ago I WASN'T accustomed to them, and I wondered how anyone could watch a widescreen movie. Now I feel the opposite way. It's understandable that it's annoying when you've been watching FS your whole life, but it's worth the switch.

Its the truth. I am so accustomed to it now, I sometimes have remind myself why my Macgyver episodes don't have them.

Altimus Prime 11-01-05 01:14 PM

That guy was an ignorant buffoon. Good thing you were there to make sure that lady didn't waste her money on fullscreen.

When I went to get Ep III at WalMart, there was a side of the cube with Eps I and II. All were FS except the bottom rows, which were WS. After I grabbed my WS of Ep II, I saw a lady looking at them, and I was wondering what she was going to get. As she looked, I saw a chance to help out - I said that the widescreens were on the bottom. And she grabbed a widescreen. :)

Mscott716 11-01-05 01:24 PM

I watch fullscreen quite often and love it..of course about 85% of my collection contains movies released before 1953.