Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > DVD Talk
Reload this Page >

Anamorphic or 4:3 Bonus Features: Make up your minds!

DVD Talk Talk about DVDs and Movies on DVD including Covers and Cases

Old 10-29-05, 09:11 PM
Banned

Received 376 Likes on 295 Posts

The Batman Begins Bonus Disc is a freakin' mess. The menu/comic is anamorphic while all of the features are 4:3 letterboxed, with the occasional clip from the film which is also anamorphic. This is about the worst case of this I've seen.

There have been other cases of this on anamorphic transfers, but here you have to switch back and forth so many times it makes for an unpleasant viewing experience. Why couldn't they have just made the 4:3 letterboxed features anamorphic as well? What were they thinking?
Old 10-29-05, 10:02 PM
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Actually, I don't see why this is a problem. You should not be required to change the zoom mode on your DVD Player repetitously to view the special features every time the program change ratios. Some documentaries, or other special features are filmed in both wide, and full screen when inserts from the movie are shown in wide, and transfer back to full screen during the interviews from the cast, crew, etc. That's normal, and typical when documentaries, or short interviews are filmed for DVDs. Switching the zoom mode back and forth on your DVD Player should not be necessary.
Old 10-29-05, 10:29 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by SINGLE104
Actually, I don't see why this is a problem.
Do you have a 16x9 TV? Because I can't picture anyone with one not thinking this is a problem. You're stuck either watching all of the 4:3 letterboxed material in a very small window in the center of your screen... or zooming in to fill the screen properly (but having an incorrect ratio once it switches to anamorphic for the film clips)... or switching back + forth as needed.

None of those are reasonable.
Old 10-29-05, 10:56 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by bboisvert
Do you have a 16x9 TV? Because I can't picture anyone with one not thinking this is a problem. You're stuck either watching all of the 4:3 letterboxed material in a very small window in the center of your screen... or zooming in to fill the screen properly (but having an incorrect ratio once it switches to anamorphic for the film clips)... or switching back + forth as needed.

Yes I have a 16x9 set. I generally don't buy DVDs for the special features. I buy DVDs for the movie. As long the movie is not defective, and plays flawlessly without a problem, I'm satisfied. All of those other specials features, and such, are meaningless, and doesn't matter to me. Personally, I'm not that anal about DVDs...To each it's own I guess.
Old 10-29-05, 11:56 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Actually, I don't see why this is a problem. You should not be required to change the zoom mode on your DVD Player repetitously to view the special features every time the program change ratios. Some documentaries, or other special features are filmed in both wide, and full screen when inserts from the movie are shown in wide, and transfer back to full screen during the interviews from the cast, crew, etc. That's normal, and typical when documentaries, or short interviews are filmed for DVDs. Switching the zoom mode back and forth on your DVD Player should not be necessary.
Yes I have a 16x9 set. I generally don't buy DVDs for the special features. I buy DVDs for the movie. As long the movie is not defective, and plays flawlessly without a problem, I'm satisfied. All of those other specials features, and such, are meaningless, and doesn't matter to me. Personally, I'm not that anal about DVDs...To each it's own I guess.
I keep reading these posts, especially the first one, and I can't figure out what they mean or what they have to do with the topic. You seem to either not understand the problem being discussed, or just don't care. And if you just don't care because you don't watch special features, anyway, then why bother telling us?

DJ
Old 10-30-05, 01:20 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally Posted by bboisvert

That does get annoying, but I don't mind if the features are fullscreen 4:3. My player pillarboxes on the fly, so it's not a big deal. Letterboxed 4:3 can be a pain in the ass. I usually just leave it be if it's a special feature instead of zooming.
Old 10-30-05, 03:03 AM
Cool New Member

The SAW Uncut features are a mis-mash of 16x9 and 4:3 ltbx. Agreed makes for very annoying watching. The BTS, trailers and Saw 2 previews are 4:3 LTBX. While the galleries and the mocumentary are 16:9.
Old 10-30-05, 08:24 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by djtoell
I keep reading these posts, especially the first one, and I can't figure out what they mean or what they have to do with the topic. You seem to either not understand the problem being discussed, or just don't care. And if you just don't care because you don't watch special features, anyway, then why bother telling us?

DJ
Do you perpetually need to read these posts to suddenly receive an epiphany to comprehend their definition? and if so, why bother telling us?
Old 10-30-05, 09:03 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Do you perpetually need to read these posts to suddenly receive an epiphany to comprehend their definition? and if so, why bother telling us?
The awesome contributions to the thead keep on comin'! Keep on rockin' with another response!!

DJ
Old 10-30-05, 09:07 AM

This really bugged me about the Peter Grabriel video collection (Play > The Videos). Some are 4:3, some are 16:9. I have an older 4:3 and have to manually switch to 16:9 mode, so this kind of thing bugs the heck out of me. For Peter Grabriel, I usually end up resetting the DVD player for letterbox mode and let it do the bars on the widescreen videos.

-AC
Old 10-30-05, 09:21 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

I'm not getting why everthing can't be shot the same way? The extras on Batman Begins were annoying on two fronts. The first being the 4x3 format they were presented in and the second being those annoying menus. I find no joy in hunting around screens looking for hidden access ports to view this material. Just lay the stuff out obviously for me for pete's sake!
Old 10-30-05, 11:47 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by buckee1
I'm not getting why everthing can't be shot the same way? The extras on Batman Begins were annoying on two fronts. The first being the 4x3 format they were presented in and the second being those annoying menus. I find no joy in hunting around screens looking for hidden access ports to view this material. Just lay the stuff out obviously for me for pete's sake!
Yes, that was another addition to the frustration of the BB extras disc. At times it would force you to go back to the beginning of the "comic" and go through the whole thing again to get to the next page. The "menu" command does nothing, the only way to get to one is to go through the entire comic.

What a freakin' mess. The only thing I can figure is that whoever designed it didn't take the time to actually use it.
Old 10-31-05, 08:12 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I had this same annoyance with the first two Batman movies in the Anthology set... all the menus are 16x9 but the features are all 4x3. Not a huge deal, but it seems like they would have just made the whole thing 4x3 at least.
Old 10-31-05, 08:23 AM
DVD Talk Reviewer

This is still a major problem, but I doubt we'll see much improvment until HD-DVD or Blu-Ray settles in. For what it's worth, I do my best when writing reviews to note if the extras are presented in letterbox or anamorphic widescreen---and if it's the latter, I'll give the disc "bonus points".
Old 10-31-05, 08:24 AM
DVD Talk Reviewer

As a sidenote, I really wish that menus and extras would be presented in the same aspect ratio as the film itself (if possible, of course). But then, of course, I suppose that would make too much sense.
Old 10-31-05, 02:34 PM

Originally Posted by Randy Miller III
As a sidenote, I really wish that menus and extras would be presented in the same aspect ratio as the film itself (if possible, of course). But then, of course, I suppose that would make too much sense.
I agree....... but why on earth do they put anamorphic menus on the 4:3 TV DVD sets?????
Old 10-31-05, 03:42 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by Eric F
Yes, that was another addition to the frustration of the BB extras disc. At times it would force you to go back to the beginning of the "comic" and go through the whole thing again to get to the next page. The "menu" command does nothing, the only way to get to one is to go through the entire comic.

What a freakin' mess. The only thing I can figure is that whoever designed it didn't take the time to actually use it.
go to the last page of the comic, and there is an index of all of the video based featurettes.
Old 10-31-05, 06:40 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by Rypro 525
go to the last page of the comic, and there is an index of all of the video based featurettes.
Yes? I thought I said that. Look at the last line in the first paragraph.

Still no excuse, forcing us to go through the entire comic to get to an index.
Old 11-01-05, 07:58 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts
My old Malata 996 automatically changes to the proper aspect ratio; so this isn't a problem for me. I have a 16x9 set and when a 4x3 or non anamorphic letterboxed material is displayed the player generates black bars on the sides or bars around the pic when it is non anamorphic; which gives me the proper aspect ratio. However, I am looking for another player that does the same thing. Is there any other brand or model that does this?
Old 11-01-05, 10:07 AM

As the Star Trek 2-disc movie editions were being produced, I was glad to see Star Trek II, III, and IV with anamorphic widescreen featurettes.

However, I never understand why for the releases beyond Star Trek IV, Paramount essentially went “backwards” by producing extras in 4:3. What makes this even more puzzling is that much of the new interview footage on the later Star Trek releases is a letterboxed 4:3 image.

I was happy to see Paramount “get it right” for films II, III & IV. Why would they not do the same for V – X?
Old 11-01-05, 12:45 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by mrhan
My old Malata 996 automatically changes to the proper aspect ratio; so this isn't a problem for me. I have a 16x9 set and when a 4x3 or non anamorphic letterboxed material is displayed the player generates black bars on the sides or bars around the pic when it is non anamorphic; which gives me the proper aspect ratio. However, I am looking for another player that does the same thing. Is there any other brand or model that does this?
I just recently got a Panasonic S-97S, which does all of the above and more! VERY happy with it!
Old 11-01-05, 03:34 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts
Originally Posted by SMB-IL
I just recently got a Panasonic S-97S, which does all of the above and more! VERY happy with it!
Thanks for the info. I'll check it out. Is it possible to make it region free?