Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > DVD Talk
Reload this Page >

The Great Raid: Theatrical version Fullscreen Only

DVD Talk Talk about DVDs and Movies on DVD including Covers and Cases

The Great Raid: Theatrical version Fullscreen Only

Old 12-27-05, 09:14 AM
JM1

I just picked up the Canadian R1 edition, which is a 2 disc directors cut. It has the same extras as the version with the book, but it says "Exclusive uncensored directors cut", whereas the version with the book said it was unrated.
Old 12-27-05, 11:32 AM

This is the first time I've seen Netflix provide ONLY the Fullscreen version of a movie. Usually, they only provide the widescreen.

I guess this is further proof of their lameness recently.
Old 12-27-05, 12:57 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

I don't think any video store/rental service will carry the WS Director's Cut due to it only being available in the gift set. I noticed that pretty much every video store is carrying the 1 disc FS version. I think Miramax purposely did this so that people who are true DVD purists will shell out the extra bucks to get it in WS.
Old 12-27-05, 01:36 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by JM1
I just picked up the Canadian R1 edition, which is a 2 disc directors cut. It has the same extras as the version with the book, but it says "Exclusive uncensored directors cut", whereas the version with the book said it was unrated.
I just checked Amazon.ca and that is an even worse deal than the US version. It's $33.00 Can. ($28 U.S.) and it doesn't even come with the book.
Old 12-27-05, 05:40 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by masetodd
This is the first time I've seen Netflix provide ONLY the Fullscreen version of a movie. Usually, they only provide the widescreen.

Well, I doubt they're going to pay $10 extra for each movie just to carry it in widescreen. They'd also have thousands of the damn book lying around with nowhere to go. Think about it.

= J
Old 12-27-05, 06:14 PM

Originally Posted by masetodd

This may also be the first time that the widescreen version was ONLY available in an extra-cost special edition.

IMO the studio here has clearly made a series of purposeful bad decisions; whether intentionally malicious or stupidly innocent is unknown.

At this late date, however, it's really disturbing to see that decisions like this are still being made by people who neither understand the market nor themselves love movies.

RichC
Old 03-26-06, 10:56 AM

Looks like a reasonably priced widescreen version has popped up on the radar for release on 5/16/06.
http://www.deepdiscountdvd.com/redir...fier=BVD051926
Old 03-26-06, 10:58 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by Space_Monkey
Looks like a reasonably priced widescreen version has popped up on the radar for release on 5/16/06.
http://www.deepdiscountdvd.com/redir...fier=BVD051926
Either their plan backfired (which was obivious, because the film didn't have a strong enough fan base to justify everybody buying the $30 gift set) or they had enough complaints.

I also didn't like how they hardly advertised the fact that the 1 disc version was FS only.

Let's hope this is the last of this method...
Old 03-27-06, 07:48 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

I'm glad to see there's a less expensive WS on the way...I really enjoyed "Ghost Soldiers" so I am expecting to enjoy this. Can't wait!
Old 03-27-06, 10:29 AM

I had this dvd in my hands at Sam Goody yesterday and didn't buy it even though there was only one copy of it there...

Looking back at it now, I should have...
Old 03-27-06, 03:37 PM

Didn't even know this was a problem. Hasting's was selling the WS version, used, for $9.99. I picked it up for $7 in one of their frequent buy 2 get 1 free sales. I guess I should have picked some up for resale.
Old 03-27-06, 09:45 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by hermes10
Didn't even know this was a problem. Hasting's was selling the WS version, used, for $9.99. I picked it up for $7 in one of their frequent buy 2 get 1 free sales. I guess I should have picked some up for resale.
Hasting's is where I got mine exactly like you did. They still had a copy or two of the 2 disc last week.
Old 10-15-06, 04:50 PM

So, can anyone confirm that the directors cut is actually shorter than the theatrical version? If its actually longer, can anyone tell me how much is added? I dont want to spend 25 bucks on a short verison.
Old 10-15-06, 10:37 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Originally Posted by King Benny
So, can anyone confirm that the directors cut is actually shorter than the theatrical version? If its actually longer, can anyone tell me how much is added? I dont want to spend 25 bucks on a short verison.

The directors cut is, in fact, a couple minutes shorter than the theatrical version. The removed scenes are in the "deleted scenes" section of the DVD.
Old 10-16-06, 07:15 AM

I believe the Director's Cut is out of print, so if anyone's interested in it, you should grap one quickly.