DVD Talk Forum

DVD Talk Forum (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/)
-   DVD Talk (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/dvd-talk-3/)
-   -   Twin Peaks Series Two??? (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/dvd-talk/442826-twin-peaks-series-two.html)

Josh Z 06-17-06 08:29 AM

Originally Posted by JLyon1515
Nope, not the same "who" that dunit.

Well..... It sort of is and sort of isn't. To say anything more would be a major spoiler, but let's just say that the two endings contradict one another.... and also don't.

sb5 06-17-06 12:12 PM

Yeah, it's hard to explain without spoiling. It's ultimately the same person(s) who killed Laura Palmer, but a different "method" was used, so to speak. And the "method" used in the series muddies the answer to the question of "who did it".

bis22 06-17-06 02:43 PM

I hope they release the pilot as a standalone DVD since the current season 1 set is already so good.

Josh-da-man 06-18-06 11:46 PM

Might be interesting to offer both versions of the pilot episode, maybe via seamless branching.

But even so, you're not missing much if you've never seen the Euro-theatrical version of the pilot. The interesting parts of it were incorporated into the series proper; though in a different context. For those curious, it's
Spoiler:
Dale Cooper's dream in one of the season one episodes. The bit where Cooper is in the red room with the backwards-talking Laura Palmer and the "little man from another place."

JLyon1515 06-19-06 09:00 AM

Originally Posted by Josh-da-man
But even so, you're not missing much if you've never seen the Euro-theatrical version of the pilot. The interesting parts of it were incorporated into the series proper; though in a different context.

I think there are some other interesting jewels in the euro version that never made it into the series, but I agree, you're not *really* missing much. There's a scene with Lucy and Andy that is cool, but that never shows up in the series. Really though, the euro version is a cool "extra" that I've never watched more than 3 or 4 times. It's even got a bit extra to the cooper dream.

For those that may be interested, from the point where the broadcast pilot and the euro version break there's like 30 seconds more in the broadcast version and about 12 minutes in the euro version. Those are just approximate times.

Cardiff Giant11 06-19-06 04:04 PM

I can only hope the quality of these new releases is up to par with Artisan's stellar S1 video and sound transfers (DTS track especially). It'll be nice to be able to watch season 2 on something other than a poor quality rip from Swedish television ;)

joliom 06-19-06 05:00 PM

I guess I better sell-off my Artisan S1 set while I still can...

Josh Z 06-19-06 06:59 PM

Originally Posted by joliom
I guess I better sell-off my Artisan S1 set while I still can...

That's an option. However, remember that Paramount is not a big supporter of DTS. If you like the DTS soundtracks on all of the first season episodes, you may want to hold onto the Artisan box.

dvduser6 06-19-06 10:36 PM

Originally Posted by Josh Z
That's an option. However, remember that Paramount is not a big supporter of DTS. If you like the DTS soundtracks on all of the first season episodes, you may want to hold onto the Artisan box.

Good point. Also, has there been any mention of porting over the extras from Artisan S1 release, or will there be all new ones to accompany the Paramount release?

critterdvd 06-20-06 03:22 AM

Good point. Also, has there been any mention of porting over the extras from Artisan S1 release, or will there be all new ones to accompany the Paramount release?
If I am not mistaken while Artisan no longer owns teh rights to the episodes, they probably still own the rights to the special features, and I highly doubt that they will allow Paramount the use of them. Secondly, Paramount isn't very big on Special Features in general, so I am not anticipating much beyond a few deleted scenes (if they are still around) and a couple featuretes...

rocket1312 06-20-06 07:49 AM

While I'm certainly no expert on rights issues, etc..., Paramount was the international distributor for the season 1 boxset back in 02(?). I own the r3 Korean boxset which is exactly like the r1 except it includes the pilot, does NOT include the DTS tracks, and features Paramount logos instead of Artisan logos. I don't know if Artisan licensed the set to Paramount for international distribution or what, but I would not be suprised if Paramount's upcoming re-release of season 1 is, for the most part, exactly the same as Artisan's.

rfduncan 06-20-06 11:02 AM

Originally Posted by rocket1312
I don't know if Artisan licensed the set to Paramount for international distribution or what, but I would not be suprised if Paramount's upcoming re-release of season 1 is, for the most part, exactly the same as Artisan's.

You say that in the sentence right AFTER saying the Paramount R3 set had no DTS. How is that even remotely "exactly the same"?!?!?! -eek-

auto 06-20-06 12:17 PM

I'm so tired of waiting for this...

LorenzoL 06-21-06 05:44 PM

tvshowsondvd.com is reporting that they found a tentative date of November 21st for the Season 2 set here in North America. But again, no news about the pilot, Season 1 or an ultimate Box Set.

http://www.tvshowsondvd.com/newsitem.cfm?NewsID=5890

dvduser6 06-22-06 10:50 AM

Originally Posted by LorenzoL
tvshowsondvd.com is reporting that they found a tentative date of November 21st for the Season 2 set here in North America. But again, no news about the pilot, Season 1 or an ultimate Box Set.

http://www.tvshowsondvd.com/newsitem.cfm?NewsID=5890

It seems as though there is as much confusion about this release as their is when interpreting Lynch's films in general.

bookcase3 07-06-06 08:12 AM

According to EW.com:

When will season two of ''Twin Peaks'' hit DVD? Check out today's Ask the Critic question and post your own by Ken Tucker

A number of you have written asking when season two of Twin Peaks would be released on DVD. Well, Paramount says it'll be releasing the increasingly wacky, post-Who-Killed-Laura-Palmer season along with creator David Lynch's slightly more coherent season one (which had been previously available a few years ago) together in one package, sometime later this year. Lynch is involved in the project, and it'll contain some new, original features. What these might be is anyone's guess, since no one's talking and isn't nearly every release called a ''Special Edition'' these days?

But I, for one, hope that Lynch and Paramount don't reveal too much behind the scenes stuff, or clarify too much of the dream-like narrative. This was one series that benefited more from its non-linear, surreal logic than by unknotting its many mysteries. (That's one reason I always liked the Twin Peaks movie, Fire Walk With Me, so much — I was confused, but happily so, utterly engaged by Lynch's excellent updating of Dada and classical Surrealist narrative filmmaking.) Unlike Lost conspiracy theorists, I don't want all the mysteries ''explained'' to me about every TV show, and Twin Peaks was definitely enhanced by its languid mysteriousness. I haven't watched the second season since it first aired over a decade ago, and look forward to seeing how well or poorly it holds up.

p h a n a t | c 07-06-06 08:35 AM

Originally Posted by bookcase3
Well, Paramount says it'll be releasing the increasingly wacky, post-Who-Killed-Laura-Palmer season along with creator David Lynch's slightly more coherent season one (which had been previously available a few years ago) together in one package, sometime later this year.

together in one package?
i sincerely do hope they make S2 available 'standalone' for all of us who bought the S1 set what seems like a decade ago. ;)
i'm definitely not going to re-buy S1 just to get S2...

(just like i'm not going to buy the ultimate matrix collection just to get the new transfer of the first movie even though i really want it)

rexinnih 07-06-06 09:09 AM

Already own season 1. Also hope season 2 is released as a stand alone.

bookcase3 07-06-06 09:16 AM

At this point, I'd be happy to get Season 2 at all, so if it's a buy both or buy nothing, I'll throw down the cash and buy both. And there are very few releases for which I would do this -- I'm not a big participant in the notorious double-dipping.

Maxflier 07-06-06 10:23 AM

Originally Posted by bookcase3
At this point, I'd be happy to get Season 2 at all, so if it's a buy both or buy nothing, I'll throw down the cash and buy both.

Same here. I'll just consider Season 1 an added bonus even though i don't need it.

critterdvd 07-06-06 10:30 AM

Same here. I'll just consider Season 1 an added bonus even though i don't need it
Exactly my thoughts... also I have never seen the pilot since I couldn't stomach the $25 for the overseas copy, so that will be nice to see...

ctyankee 07-06-06 11:29 AM

But I, for one, hope that Lynch and Paramount don't reveal too much behind the scenes stuff, or clarify too much of the dream-like narrative. This was one series that benefited more from its non-linear, surreal logic than by unknotting its many mysteries.
Not to worry there. The next time Lynch explains anything revealing about any of his films or shows will be the first time.

calhoun07 07-06-06 03:00 PM

Knowing Paramount, they will probably condense the first season to two discs, and if they throw in new bonus features for season one, then all the better. I am not a fan of being forced to buy season one again either, but from a business stand point it makes total sense. The first season is out of print, and there are millions of fans who got DVD players since season one came out, and perhaps even more don't own it who need a copy than do own it. And on a cult show like this, I can't see them splitting the seasons in two releases, since we know full and well that subsequent season sets even on best selling shows fall in sales.

I will be happy to own the complete series, regardless of how they get it to me.

Maxflier 07-06-06 03:47 PM

Since the first season is only like 8 episodes(or was it 7?), I don't see any point in releasing it separate anyways.

Richard Malloy 07-06-06 04:19 PM

Unless there are improved transfers (would be tough), then the fact that most "Twin Peaks" fans already own Season 1 would seem a fairly good reason to release Season 2 separately.

That is, it's a fairly good reason from a consumer's perspective. Paramount's perspective may well be to gouge us for whatever they can get.