DVD Talk Talk about DVDs and Movies on DVD including Covers and Cases

Whats up with Blockbuster and Universal?

Old 10-17-05, 03:50 PM

Whats up with Blockbuster and Universal?

I found out today that Blockbuster is having problems with Universal and will not carry Land of the Dead. After a short chat with my local Blockbuster clerk I discovered why they only had ten copies of Unleashed and will not even carry some new popular upcoming titles.

I hope they get it sorted out as I purchased a two rental a day pass from them and would like to have a choice of all popular latest releases.
Old 10-17-05, 04:11 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Karma. You're being punished for making a purchase from Blockbuster.

-JP
Old 10-17-05, 04:14 PM

Sorry to go off topic a bit, but a similar thing I've noticed. In Canada, The Movie Network seems to be airing very few, if any, more recent Universal releases. I'm talking movies like Dawn of the Dead (2005), Shaun of the Dead, Chronicles of Riddick, Wimbledon, etc. These movies ended their run on pay per view months ago, yet they're not showing up on TMN. Anyone know of a reason why?
Old 10-17-05, 04:15 PM

yeah my blockbuster had 10 copies of unleashed too but did not put them out till 2 days later.... kicking and screaming was not put out till this past saturday...
Old 10-17-05, 04:23 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

There's other weird things going on at Blockbuster. I found out that they will not be pulling any copies of Sin City to sell as previously viewed. The person I know that works there said that the studio is demanding that copies be sent back instead of being sold.
Old 10-17-05, 04:28 PM
mbs
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

There is a thread in the store forum that cites reports that Blockbuster must pay in cash for all of its new titles (due to concerns about them going under). Maybe Universal is particularly strict in this manner and this policy is preventing Blockbuster from purchasing many copies.

EDIT - Here is the link to that thread: http://forum.dvdtalk.com/showthread....ht=blockbuster
Old 10-17-05, 04:52 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Blockbuster is in heaps of financial trouble. As mbs pointed out, some studios are making them pay cash for movies. I think they're struggling to compete with DVD sales and with Netflix continuing to grow it's user database.
Old 10-17-05, 05:12 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer & TOAT Winner

I could never find my favorite Universal movie, "Henry And June" at Blockbuster
Old 10-17-05, 06:28 PM
DVD Talk Legend

check out the home media retailing site for a ton of good articles on blockbuster.

long story short is, blockbuster is in the red. They owe everyone money. Studios are concerned that they will not recoup any losses if/when blockbuster finally falls. So they must pay up front for all titles. Since they have no capitol, only liquid assets they cannot get certain titles. You will be seeing less blue boxes in the future.
Old 10-17-05, 09:35 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

My local store stopped using the blue/white Blockbuster covers on the boxes and just puts a barcode on the regular cover/case.

So, I'm already not seeing as many blue boxes as in the past.
Old 10-17-05, 09:40 PM

Please post follow-ups in the store thread mentioned above.