Community
Search
DVD Talk Talk about DVDs and Movies on DVD including Covers and Cases

New "Plan 9 From Outer Space" DVD

Search this Thread

Old 01-18-06, 06:38 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
[QUOTE=thing-fish24]they didn't need to add anything to make sure nobody doesn't rip-off their restored prints, because all of the discs are copy-protected anyway.

QUOTE]

your kidding right...its easier than whistling dixie to copy any standard dvd...thats why so many companies watermark PD titles....

I liked MST3000, but mike nelson on his own isn't nearly as funny.
Old 01-18-06, 07:12 PM
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Cameron
its easier than whistling dixie to copy any standard dvd
Yeah, but, these aren't standard DVDs. These discs are copyright-protected. I tried. I wanted to copy a scene from the black and white version of "Reefer Madness" to use in my animation, so I tried to copy it, but it refused to copy.

Originally Posted by Cameron
I liked MST3000, but mike nelson on his own isn't nearly as funny.
I think he's still extremely funny on his own (BTW: 20th Century Fox's colorized Three Stooges disc has Mike Nelson, Bill Corbett, and Kevin Murphy working together as The Film Crew to provide in-between material during the colorized versions of the public domain Stooges shorts). The commentaries on "House on Haunted Hill" and "Plan 9" are often on the same level as a typical Mystery Science Theater 3000 episode.

But what I would really love is for all three MST3K castmembers to get together for a group commentary on some discs (we don't need the silhouettes on the bottom of the screen, but they could stick it in there if they wanted to, I suppose).
Old 01-18-06, 07:50 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I love these releases, and this is my favorite to date. I think the movie just kind of lends itself to this treatment. The commentary is great, it looks great, and I am pretty pleased. Keep the Mike Nelson commentaries coming and I will keep buying.
Old 01-18-06, 10:22 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 67 Likes on 58 Posts
Originally Posted by thing-fish24
"Mystery Science Theater 3000" only got to mock the one Ed Wood film.
Actually, MST3K did two Ed Wood directed films (Bride of the Monster and The Sinister Urge ) as well as another movie based on an Ed Wood script (The Violent Years).

So the MST3K Ed Wood total count was 2 1/2.
Old 01-18-06, 11:21 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 82 Likes on 49 Posts
So, you've never heard Mike Nelson's commentary track on that one?
Actually I have. When I work, I usually have a commentary playing in the background. So I've heard Nelson's commentary but haven't watched the colorized version.

Yeah, I'm weird!

No, the added images were added in for a little additional humor (just like the multicolored smoke in "Reefer Madness")--they didn't need to add anything to make sure nobody doesn't rip-off their restored prints, because all of the discs are copy-protected anyway.
Then they must have stumbled across something that they're keeping from the rest of the movie industry. It's pretty easy to rip a DVD these days.

Also, there aren't any "blown up" scenes on the Three Stooges release, as far as I could tell.
I recall it happening during Malice in the Palace (right before they knock the last guard out) and Brideless Groom (while Moe is helping Shemp in the apartment). The quality of the image really drops down during those two bits. The Malice in the Palace snippet looks "zoomed" in. It could have happened a few more times during the presentation. I'd have to watch it again to give some time codes out.

I've actually suggested this to them. The copy I have looks and sounds pretty good, but I certainly wouldn't mind a commentary track (which is the main reason I suggested this film to them). If you folks know of any awful cult films that are badly in need of a restoration and a commentary track, email them, and tell them about the films.
Terror of Tiny Town would be a definate Pre-Order for me if Legend ever gets around to it. I had a long e-mail discussion with Barry Sandrew (of Legend) a few years back about their Reefer Madness release and restoration in general (even got invited to visit their offices if I'm ever in the area)

They really do go out of their way to get the best prints possible for their releases. Thumbs up to them for their restoration efforts.

They're also going to restore color films as well -- the Abbott & Costello film version of "Jack and the Beanstalk" is getting a release from Legend in February, according to their website (which explicitly states that the black and white scenes in the film will be left untouched). So, if you've bought a color film on a public domain release and the colors are fucked, send 'em an email and suggest it.
Now that's cool. I'm all for public domain titles looking as best as possible.