Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > DVD Talk
Reload this Page >

Spotlight Series dvds at Walmart?????

DVD Talk Talk about DVDs and Movies on DVD including Covers and Cases

Old 09-30-05, 05:05 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I saw some dvds( Alien,Aliens,Daredevil and a few others) that were slipped in a box marked Spotlight Series across the top with the regular dvd cover also on the box.

Are these edited or cut for family viewing? I didn't see anything on box about being edited or cut.No one in walmart knew anything.

Anyone know what the deal is with spotlight series?
Old 09-30-05, 10:07 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 6 Likes on 3 Posts
Can anyone explain cardboard slipcovers? When & why did they start? What is the point? They are almost always exactly the same as the regular paper DVD cover. What is gained? Are they more attractive to anyone?

I'm reminded of the early days of CDs when they were sold in cardboard longboxes. I don't know if they were to help prevent stealing or so stores could continue you to use their old record bins, but I always thought they were done away with because people complained too much about the tree killing.

I did notice this Wal-Mart display today. The Day The Earth Stood Still slipcover had a different picture from the regular cover underneath, but most DVDs had the same pics with just the new blue border added.
Old 09-30-05, 10:37 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I just noticed those the other day when i was in Wal-mart. They stand out like a sore thumb with those ugly ass blue borders.
Old 09-30-05, 10:47 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 309 Likes on 231 Posts
Those slip covers need to be burned. Instead of making me want to buy the movie it really just turns my head.
Old 09-30-05, 11:05 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Yeah the first ones I saw were the Aliens ones and i was like "WTF"!!? Nothing brings out the creepiness of a deep space alien attack like a huge bright blue border around the regular cover art.
Old 09-30-05, 11:34 PM

I saw these yesterday, and today went and bought Alien. Tough to pass at $9.44. But I haven't opened it yet because I'm not sure which version of the movie I have.

As for the box, I figure if you buy one of these movies, the slipcover is not meant to be kept. Just toss it. What I care about is the DVD inside.

The top says "Alien 20th Anniversary Widescreen." It lists audio commentary by Ridley Scott, deleted scenes, artwork and photo gallery, original storyboards, isolated original score and alternate music track.

Aside from the Quadrilogy set, is this the newest/best release of the movie? Or is there another with a better/newer transfer? I saw two reviews here - one for just "Alien" and one for a "special edition."
Old 10-01-05, 01:03 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts
Originally Posted by Altimus Prime
I saw these yesterday, and today went and bought Alien. Tough to pass at $9.44. But I haven't opened it yet because I'm not sure which version of the movie I have.

The top says "Alien 20th Anniversary Widescreen." It lists audio commentary by Ridley Scott, deleted scenes, artwork and photo gallery, original storyboards, isolated original score and alternate music track.

Aside from the Quadrilogy set, is this the newest/best release of the movie? Or is there another with a better/newer transfer? I saw two reviews here - one for just "Alien" and one for a "special edition."
The one in the Quadrilogy is a 2-disc set that has a new transfer, with a longer cut of the film and the original cut. It has more extras, but the commentary is different, and it does not have the isolated score and the alternate music track with production audio that the old version had. It is available separately, and it's not the one you bought.
Old 10-01-05, 09:52 AM

Just how many versions are there? Are one of the reviews of the one I bought? If I'm mainly concerned with the quality of the video and audio, is this one going to be good?

I'm usually more interested in the quality of the transfer than bonus features.
Old 10-01-05, 06:23 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts
Originally Posted by Altimus Prime
Just how many versions are there? Are one of the reviews of the one I bought? If I'm mainly concerned with the quality of the video and audio, is this one going to be good?

I'm usually more interested in the quality of the transfer than bonus features.
There are two versions: the original that was released in 1999 and the one in the Quadrilogy box from 2003. You don't have to buy the box to get the newer one, as it is available separately.

I don't know just how much better the transfer is on the Quadrilogy version, as I still haven't gotten around to getting it yet. The older version looked fine, but you have to keep in mind that it was released back when the standards weren't as high as they are now. Someone who has both can elaborate, but the reviews of the newer one say it looks a lot better. It was released theatrically, so they must have done some work on the transfer. If you care more about the transfer, you would want to get the Quadrilogy version.
Old 10-02-05, 03:59 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I saw a bunch more of these things Friday night when I was there. They had the first 2 Alien movies, Daredevil DC, both X-Men movies, Idependence Day, and probably 6-8 others I can't remember.