Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > DVD Talk
Reload this Page >

A story and a question about "Short 02: Dreams" (WB).

Community
Search
DVD Talk Talk about DVDs and Movies on DVD including Covers and Cases

Search this Thread

Old 10-02-05, 03:40 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Typically, people get their best deals on rare DVD's by browsing through used bin after used bin. I'm no different. However, today I was extremely surprised to find a DVD that I've been trying to get my hands on for ages, and it was in the place I least expected to find it...

I was down in Houston, picking up my dog (she's been in an animal hospital there for a couple weeks). While I was in town, I decided to swing by Fry's. They have a ridiculous selection, and I was hoping to find the Palm Pictures release of "Dark Days." No luck, but as I browsed through the Special Interest DVD section, I found this:

I'm fairly certain it's out of print. It's commanding ridiculous prices on Amazon's marketplace, starting at $64.95 (http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg...=glance&s=dvd). The only copy I found on eBay was in the store (not a live auction), and had a Buy It Now price set at $95.00. I've searched DVDPlanet, DDD, Overstock, Digital Eyes, and DVDEmpire with no luck. The only other website I found it on was Buy.com, and it's got an "Alert me when this item is in stock!" tag.

However, as I browsed through the racks at my local Fry's, there it was, priced $9.99. Like I said, I've been looking for this for ages (mainly for the La Jetee short, as this is, the the best of my knowledge, the only DVD that's ever appeared on). I was thrilled.

Like I said, I assume it is, but does anybody know with certainty whether or not this is out of print (and if not, why it's so difficult to find, even in relation to the others in this series)? Another question: as I searched the internet looking for copies of this DVD, I ran across two different coverarts. The first release had Nicole Kidman on the cover, and included material from the making of "Portrait of a Lady." This was removed from the later releases, and the coverart was changed. Does anybody know the story behind this? Why are both releases so hard to find (even the second run, which I got today and is pictured above).

-JP

Last edited by NatrlBornThrllr; 10-02-05 at 03:42 AM.
Old 10-02-05, 03:48 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
cool...i own this...not sure if it is OOP, but i can find out tommorow when I get to work...I see this at Borders frequently as well...

i can say that WB picked up Distro on the series and the entire series was OOP for a very short time.
Old 10-02-05, 06:42 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I've got the original dvd and it was a 2-sided disc with a full-length documentary on the making of Portrait of a Lady on one side (and the cover art you described).
Old 10-02-05, 03:31 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer & TOAT Winner

Received 333 Likes on 252 Posts
Polygram put out the first 3 volumes, Warner picked it up starting with volume 4 and reissued the first 3 with different covers and some slight changes to the discs.

I bought every volume as they came out, then they suddenly stopped. What happened???
Old 10-02-05, 03:48 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 135 Likes on 80 Posts
Originally Posted by NatrlBornThrllr
Like I said, I've been looking for this for ages (mainly for the La Jetee short, as this is, the the best of my knowledge, the only DVD that's ever appeared on).
It's available in Region 2, paired with Sans soleil.
Old 10-02-05, 05:03 PM
Defunct Account

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I've was buying these too as they came out...a great series. I started a little late so I have the Warner reissues of the first three. Yes, they are OOP, and pretty hard to find. La Jette is great, and even though it is in English (as opposed to the original French) that is the director's preferance. I only wish that they had thought to include both languages.

There were a couple other DVDs that Warner put out after they ended this series that were similar. Afrocentricity was one, and I can't recall the other (if indeed there was one.) I was sorry to see the series end.

Nice find Nat Born!