Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > DVD Talk
Reload this Page >

Which Superbits are worth it and which ones aren't?

Community
Search
DVD Talk Talk about DVDs and Movies on DVD including Covers and Cases

Search this Thread

Old 08-23-05, 06:34 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I checked for a thread, but there's like 500 hits on Superbit. Which ones are worth it, which ones can you not tell the difference or are the special features on the other release too important? I think Spider-Man 2 is worth it while Spider-Man 1 isn't, and Starship Troopers is worth it.
Old 08-23-05, 07:18 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I searched in the reviews section before I headed out. They often did a review for the original version and the Superbit.
Old 08-23-05, 07:27 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

I just picked up Lawrence of Arabia SB from Best Buy for $9.99. I shouldn't have to say whether that was worth it or not.
Old 08-23-05, 07:28 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 216 Likes on 155 Posts
For me it depends on the quality of the extras, audio/video of the original versions compared to the SB version. For example I'm not getting SB versions of SWAT, CTHD and Cliffhanger - I'm happy enough with the reg versions. If the originals have little or no extras (air force one, gattaca, ananconda, dracula) the SB choice is easy. I'm double-dipping on Spider-man and Starship Troopers since the quality of the video is much improved (according to reviews) over the regular versions - I wish they'd made those SB Deluxes, since I'm hanging on to originals for the extras.

To me Spider-man 2 SB is not worth it since their (appearantly) isn't too much difference in A/V and you'd be missing out on the 2 hr doc.

Last edited by Artman; 08-23-05 at 07:31 PM.
Old 08-23-05, 07:30 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 911 Likes on 646 Posts
I read up on a few as well. At $10 at BB though, you can't go wrong.

A few things I've read:

Mask of Zorro: Marginal improvement over the deluxe, it will take some high quality equipment and a trained eye to notice the difference.

Leon: supposedly had sound issues

Bad Boys and Desperado look phenominal compared to their counterparts.

and the one that leaves me with a big question mark is Heavy Metal. I haven't read any reviews, but how good could this animated film possibly look?
Old 08-23-05, 07:32 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Spider-man 1 isn't? All reviews I've read have stated that the SB is a big improvement in video quality over the regular release. The 2-disc release's transfer looks a little bland. Plus, it has the Tobey Maguire commentary on it and of course, DTS sound.
Old 08-23-05, 07:56 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by Artman
To me Spider-man 2 SB is not worth it since their (appearantly) isn't too much difference in A/V and you'd be missing out on the 2 hr doc.
It may depend on your equipment, but I see a pretty noticable difference in the Spider-man 2 superbit. It is much sharper and more detailed.
Old 08-23-05, 08:11 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Off the top of my head, the only Superbits that I would not recommend are Underworld, Once Upon a Time in Mexico, and Bad Boys II. I love these movies, but the regular DVD releases have excellent transfers and nice extras, so you will not gain much by purchasing the Superbits.

In regards to the rest of the Superbit lineup, you need to determine which is more important - better picture quality and possible DTS or bonus features (commentaries, deleted scenes, etc.). In some cases you may need to buy both the Superbit and the regular DVD (for example, Desperado - you will miss a great commentary and nice extras if you only buy the Superbit).
Old 08-23-05, 08:29 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Mask of Zorro - wasn't the original non-anamorphic? As for Heavy Metal - I have both and I honestly couldn't see a difference after watching the Captain Sternn segment on both. The video was not cleaned up at all on the SB, but the SB does have DTS. I'm still keeping the originally 'cause of the extras. FYI, I have a 52-inch JVC D-ILA that I watched them on.
Old 08-23-05, 08:58 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I bought Heavy Metal because it was $10 at Best Buy, but it's definately not worth it if you're paying full price. It needs a complete remastering, as there are quite a few specks and scratches on the print and it's all kinda grainy and dark, and you have to give up a bunch of perfectly good special features to get that Superbit logo.
Old 08-23-05, 10:08 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

None of them are worth it, because Columbia has already exposed their marketing schemes. It wasn't that bad during the time of the first batch of Superbits, but now, we should all now that Columbia is the most evil movie company that releases at least 5 DVD versions of a movie now. The good thing is that most of Columbia's DVDs are of excellent audio/video quality, so stick with the first purchase of a DVD released by them. Don't get suckered into their scheme of buying updated DVD versions of the same movie.
Old 08-23-05, 10:18 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 243 Likes on 178 Posts
Mask of Zorro.I haven't seen the original release to compare it to, but the picture quality on the Superbit is absolutely gorgeous.
Old 08-23-05, 10:51 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Sound wise and picture wise, both Gattaca & Starship Troopers are worth the purchase. Dracula has INCREDIBLE sound as well.

I have also heard the R3 Tears Of The Sun Superbit (which does play in R1 players) has fantastic sound!
Old 08-23-05, 10:54 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 256 Likes on 181 Posts
Originally Posted by toddly6666
None of them are worth it, because Columbia has already exposed their marketing schemes. It wasn't that bad during the time of the first batch of Superbits, but now, we should all now that Columbia is the most evil movie company that releases at least 5 DVD versions of a movie now. The good thing is that most of Columbia's DVDs are of excellent audio/video quality, so stick with the first purchase of a DVD released by them.
Actually, many non-Superbit discs from Sony have mediocre to poor transfers. Their Superbit line brings the quality up to acceptable standards.
Old 08-23-05, 11:21 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer

Received 16 Likes on 13 Posts
Dracula as mentioned is quite a bit better than original, which has no extras anyway. XXX has a better transfer but you miss out on the extras.

I wouldn't think Underworld could be much better, so I'd steer clear of that.
Old 08-24-05, 12:19 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

My Favs
1a. The Fifth Element - Superbit
1b. The Mask of Zorro - Supebit
3. Spider-Man 2 - Superbit
4. Once Upon a Time in Mexico: Special Edition or Superbit (about the same)

Not a superbit, but it is one of the best video quality I have ever seen for a live action movie: "The Passion of the Christ"
Old 08-24-05, 12:30 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts
I have 15 Superbit titles, and I'm pretty happy with them all...mostly for the dynamic DTS, which is really top notch on most of the surround heavy titles.

agree totally with Dracula, Starship Troopers, Desperado and The Fifth Element. Those are remarkable Superbits in every respect.

I think Bad Boys 2 is a slight improvement in transfer, and the DTS will floor you if you have strong subwoofers and rear speakers.

The transfer on Closer is also beautiful and that is a terrific movie.

While Panic Room Superbit seems a bit silly after the big release...it still is the best presentation of that film and one of the best DTS tracks I've heard (on par with Daredevilirector's cut, Saving Private Ryan, and the already mentioned Starship Troopers.)
Old 08-24-05, 12:53 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

The Lawrence of Arabia Superbit is definitely worth it especially at Best Buy's current price of $10. Unlike most of these titles which just use the same transfers from the other releases with a higher bitrate, the LoA Superbit was restored with the previous releases' color issues finally corrected. It's the best quality and truest version of the film out there.
Old 08-24-05, 03:18 AM

stay away from dark crystal and labyrinth superbits. the video quality is not much better than the old releases and the dts tracks supposedly do not sound any different.

walmart has both old versions $9.94 and they both have 50 minute documentaries that the superbits lack. the collector's editions don't seem worth it either as they cost more for mainly new packaging and booklets.
Old 08-24-05, 06:27 AM
Banned

On DRACULA the original had excellent sound.
I couldn't tell the differance between the 2 dvds.
Old 08-24-05, 07:49 AM
Cool New Member

Originally Posted by Artman
For example I'm not getting SB versions of SWAT, CTHD and Cliffhanger - I'm happy enough with the reg versions.
Regarding Cliffhanger, we could not disagree more. The original was cited for years as being one of the very worst transfers (visually) of all time. In fact, it was usually tied for this honor with the original release of "The English Patient."

My original Cliffhanger exhibits the following distractions, throughout: -major edge enhancement, even to the point where most of the scenes that did not use any process photography looked like it did; artificial red push, at times it appears to be as much as 20 to 25%; the result is fleshtones (especially faces) which appear to be permanently sunburned, and reds which bloom, on those scenes where they appear; low bitrate (a single layer disc was used, of course) -- and the resulting pixellization is obvious on my 65 inch Diamond Mits;

And, finally, the transfer was anamorphic, but the decision to try to squeeze a widescreen version AND a pan and scan version AND all of those extras onto a mere single-layer disc was the most disasterous, in my opinion.

The Superbit solved most of the above issues.

Just my opinions... take care,

-Bruce
Old 08-24-05, 08:26 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Dracula is GREAT, Desperado has a good DTS soundtrack.

The SpiderMan movies are good too. I have a bunch, but I have not watched them all yet. I do actually own Labyrinth and Dark Crystal...both seem marginally better only. I think the original Labyrinth only had 2.0 sound
Old 08-24-05, 08:37 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by BSpielbauer
Regarding Cliffhanger, we could not disagree more. The original was cited for years as being one of the very worst transfers (visually) of all time. In fact, it was usually tied for this honor with the original release of "The English Patient."
And, finally, the transfer was anamorphic, but the decision to try to squeeze a widescreen version AND a pan and scan version AND all of those extras onto a mere single-layer disc was the most disasterous, in my opinion.

The Superbit solved most of the above issues.

Just my opinions... take care,

-Bruce
Are you talking about the SE?
Old 08-24-05, 09:04 AM

no real difference in Hook except of course the DTS
if you have to choose now, 9.99 for both, choose superbit if you have the DTS surround, if not, the image is pretty much the same, as it was breathtaking in it's original release, after watching it on a rental for 10 years!
Old 08-24-05, 09:10 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Originally Posted by Mr. Cinema
Spider-man 1 isn't? All reviews I've read have stated that the SB is a big improvement in video quality over the regular release. The 2-disc release's transfer looks a little bland. Plus, it has the Tobey Maguire commentary on it and of course, DTS sound.
Exactly right. The SB is better than the SE for video and audio quality. The SE is less detailed. Someone posted picture difference between the 2, but I dont remember where they are.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.