Search
DVD Talk Talk about DVDs and Movies on DVD including Covers and Cases

Post pics of your DVD collection and HT, Part 7

Search this Thread

Old 12-13-05, 05:24 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by awmurray
Well, when you do, it will be incredible. The jump in size/quality will be drastic when moving from 20" to a screen best measured in feet. I think getting a projector is a bigger jump than going from mono to DTS.
Well, to be honest, a big reason I want the projector is for bragging rights. If you know Manhattan real estate, then you know that it's not usual to have a 625 sq. ft. carpeted basement in an apartment in the middle of the East Village. Add in the fact that it's almost a perfect square (25 ft. by 25 ft.) with no external light sources, and it's almost a crime not to have a projector. Of course, like I said, I mostly want it for flaunting (rather than watching) purposes.
Old 12-13-05, 06:29 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Billyspunk
Hey Slowpc, how do you like DVDProfiler? I use DVD Afficianado, is this one better?
I like the ease of use and just that I don't need to be online or anything to get my stuff setup... incase the cable is down.

I have yet to have a problem with it.
Old 12-14-05, 06:53 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Finally signed up with photobucket....

Old 12-14-05, 09:19 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Nice! Very clean, organized system. I like it.
Old 12-14-05, 09:31 PM

I feel really technologically challenged. What's included in your bottom picture cpgator? I know a lot of people have posted theirs, but this is the first time I've looked and been a little overwhelmed at everything stacked there. Besides the DVD player, I'm totally lost. Someone give me a 2-minute education on what this stuff will do for my movie-viewing experience. =p

I really enjoy these posts and haven't felt anything has been for bragging rights. Thanks for posting guys!

+Danny
Old 12-14-05, 10:27 PM

Ha, I agree Danny... usually I can pick out components fairly easily, but it looks like there's three recievers and several digital tv boxes, haha!
Old 12-14-05, 10:39 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by +Danny
I feel really technologically challenged. What's included in your bottom picture cpgator? I know a lot of people have posted theirs, but this is the first time I've looked and been a little overwhelmed at everything stacked there. Besides the DVD player, I'm totally lost. Someone give me a 2-minute education on what this stuff will do for my movie-viewing experience. =p

I really enjoy these posts and haven't felt anything has been for bragging rights. Thanks for posting guys!

+Danny
Starting from the top -
Denon 3802 – (Receiver)
Denon 3910 – (DVD player, DVD-A/SACD player)
DVDO iScan HD+ (Video scaling processor) – basically does all the scaling for my video sources.
DVDO info
Panasonic DMR-E95H (DVD recorder w/160 GB HD)
Recorder info
Comcast HD Cable Box (piece of crap)
Sony CX450 (400 disc CD player)
PureAV FP60 (Power console) – Provides clean and steady power, provides surge protection, and a place to plug everything into.
PF60 info
Rotel 1095 (200w x5 amp)
Amp info

I also just picked up the Netgear MP101 (little silver box under TV) - connects wirelessly to my PC and acts as a music server, and connects to internet radio stations. Definitely a cool (and cheap) little item...

Thanks for the interest

Last edited by cpgator; 12-14-05 at 10:48 PM.
Old 12-14-05, 10:44 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Snowmaker
This is Kevin Smith's DVD collection (he posted it on his board).
http://silentbobspeaks.com/?m=20050905

Its all alphabetized. This is everything except T-Z according to him:

I bet that exercise equipment has gotten a lot of use.
Old 12-15-05, 12:03 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 309 Likes on 231 Posts
Kevin Smith has a shitload of dvds. And the sad thing is he probably got half of them for free. You have money and don't need to spend it like we do to get our dvd fix.
Old 12-15-05, 09:39 AM

Originally Posted by dsa_shea
Kevin Smith has a shitload of dvds. And the sad thing is he probably got half of them for free. You have money and don't need to spend it like we do to get our dvd fix.
Plus, if you do, they're tax deductable.
Old 12-15-05, 01:04 PM

Originally Posted by Nosebleed
Have you tried viewing HD content with this projector? If so, how does it perform?
I don't have cable or have the projector hooked up to my computer, so I can't say. But from reading all the reviews that I have, they say it looks amazing.

Originally Posted by Nosebleed
Do you have any links that could help someone with building a screen? What materials did you use to make it? How do these compare to "real" screens running in the hundreds or thousands of dollars?
I used this site to get an idea about making a frame. I used 1x3 pieces of wood instead (and added a horizontal support in the middle) and spray painted the frame with a non-reflective black paint (it's called Krylon "camouflage" 8140 Black) instead of using felt. I used primer, then the black, then a clear coat sealant... which turned out too shiny, so I sprayed another coat of black on it and left it at that.

I bought the screen material from a guy on ebay that sells it regularly for about $60 shipped. It has a 1.5 gain and has a rubbery side and a cloth side (I used the rubbery side). I used this site to show me how to stretch it across the frame.

All in all the screen cost me about $90 for materials and took me about 3-4 hours to build (sans paint time). Most of that time was spent stretching and tacking the material (I used a staple gun).

I can't say how this compares to "real" screens, but the picture when projected looks awesome. I imagine that it could look better (i.e. like the $1000 screens). But for what I paid and used, I think it's more than adequate for a budget HT. I sure don't feel like I'm settling for something inferior.
Old 12-15-05, 01:30 PM

Originally Posted by cpgator
My eyes can't really parse that image. It looks like there's one TV screen overlayed on another. What exactly am I seeing wrong? I'm sure I'm just being an idiot.
Old 12-15-05, 02:40 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by illennium
My eyes can't really parse that image. It looks like there's one TV screen overlayed on another. What exactly am I seeing wrong? I'm sure I'm just being an idiot.
The side speakers are recessed in a bit from the actual screen.

Here is a side picture...
Old 12-15-05, 03:04 PM

That's one of the new Sony SXRD™ Rear Projection HDTVs. The "silver wings" are the speakers of the damn thing. It's got a great picture, but I've no idea why they didn't place the speakers in the same config as their A10 series LCD RP HDTVs.
Old 12-15-05, 03:51 PM

Originally Posted by cpgator
The side speakers are recessed in a bit from the actual screen.

Here is a side picture...
Ah, thanks for the explanation. It looked very odd from the front.
Old 12-15-05, 03:53 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Ah, thanks for the explanation. It looked very odd from the front.
Old 12-16-05, 11:11 AM

Well, long time lurker, I decided to include myself in this thread! Here's a link to my Yahoo photos...

http://pg.photos.yahoo.com/ph/aether...=/4ed2&.src=ph

Not as many dvds as some but, I'm getting there...
Old 12-16-05, 02:51 PM

Originally Posted by Aetherhole
Well, long time lurker, I decided to include myself in this thread! Here's a link to my Yahoo photos...

http://pg.photos.yahoo.com/ph/aether...=/4ed2&.src=ph

Not as many dvds as some but, I'm getting there...
Love the setup. One day I hope to have mine as cleanly laid out as yours.

couple of questions.
1. I'm assuming your left and right mains are the Axiom M22's. if they are how do you like them? And how do they sound?

2. Are those the QS4's or the QS8's? and how do they sound?

3. Where did you get those DVD shelving units? They're very nice.
Old 12-16-05, 04:29 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

I just did two major upgrades this year in terms of picture: a 52" JVC D-ILA for the living room in April, and a 34" Sony XBR for my media room in November. Both sets provide so much more for the viewing experience than before. I had upgraded my sound set-ups years ago, so I have been dying to finally watch widescreen in widescreen and without scan lines.
Old 12-16-05, 05:33 PM

AsmodeusVice,

Thanks for the compliment. I can only go so far with hiding wires and such, since I'm in an apartment (thus me using wirecovers).

To answer your questions:

1. Yes they are M22s, and in a phrase, "I love them!"

2. They are QS4s. I opted for the 4s as opposed to the 8s because 1: money difference 2: size, and 3: I'm told that they are virtually the same except the QS8s can go slightly louder and slightly deeper, which didn't matter for me anyway. My receiver crossover is set to 100 so having a 5Hz deeper extension seemed to be pointless.

Also, another note about the size, my brother recently got the QS8s. His room is slightly more narrow than mine and let me tell ya, I'm glad I went with the 4s. The QS8s look just a tad too big for his room, and also the QS4s better match the size compared to the M22s and the VP150.

3. The DVD shelves were bought at Office Max. They were pretty expensive when we bought them, but if you can find them, they can be had for like half of what we bought them for. I think you can find each unit for like 50-60 bucks.
Old 12-17-05, 12:15 AM

I bet that exercise equipment has gotten a lot of use.
It probably hasn't, because he's really fat!

... Oh, you were kidding?
Old 12-17-05, 12:06 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Kevin Smith has lost (I think) 60 or so pounds the past few months. Look at the stuff on Clerks2's website and you can tell he's lost weight. Not quite as dramatic as the Peter Jackson weight loss but noticable.
Old 12-17-05, 01:42 PM

Working on finishing the Home Theater room, but here is the beginning shots of the collection and current setup.

Entire DVD Collection using Billy Bookcases from Ikea with hight extensions :

Current TV and Setup: TV is 32" JVC with JVC XV-F80 7 disc changer, Philips DVD-642 for region free play, Xbox, Technics receiver with seperate piece DTS decoder(bought the receiver and DTS decoder in 1998). Still have my first DVD player somewhere that want to get fixed someday, think the laser needs adjustment, can't seem to throw it away since paying $600 for it, it is a panasonic but can't remember the model #.

Future Plasma TV location:

Framed Mini Posters and Figures:

Close up of different shelves:

Signed Jason Hockey Mask:

Alien Quadrilogy with Display Head is coming this week. It will get a shelf all its own above the new TV area.

Hope to have the new TV in a couple weeks, will update at that time. Have several signed DVDs that will be getting special shelves soon.

The other half of the room is dedicated to my Kansas City Chiefs collection. Also very extensive. Don't know why my wife puts up with me.

Last edited by lethalkrs; 12-17-05 at 01:58 PM.
Old 12-17-05, 01:58 PM

Originally Posted by lethalkrs
Entire DVD Collection using Billy Bookcases from Ikea with hight extensions :

I have the same setup--two of the wider (birch) Billy bookcases side by side, with the extension units on top. I use the extensions to store CDs. In my opinion, Billy bookcases are the perfect storage units for DVDs and CDs.
Old 12-17-05, 02:01 PM

I have the same setup--two of the wider (birch) Billy bookcases side by side, with the extension units on top. I use the extensions to store CDs. In my opinion, Billy bookcases are the perfect storage units for DVDs and CDs.
Totally agree, can't find anything comparable for $80 a piece.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.