Search
DVD Talk Talk about DVDs and Movies on DVD including Covers and Cases

Post pics of your DVD collection and HT, Part 7

Search this Thread

Old 12-11-05, 08:34 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by GizmoDVD
How much was you're projector?
I got the projector, a ceiling mount, and a 76" pull-down screen (which I'm not using) for $815 shipped from Ebay of all places. Infocus sells them direct refurbished on Ebay for really cheap. I was initally going to use the 76", but decided that it wasn't big enough .
Old 12-11-05, 08:37 PM

Very nice setup AsmodeusVice. I need to take some pictures of mine sometime after Christmas. I'm making a huge overhaul on my setup.
Old 12-12-05, 01:59 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by AsmodeusVice
And a microwave in arms length so you can re-heat the pop tarts without getting off the seat.
Awesome screen/projector. The room needs a little tidy up, but I'm sure you'll do that when you move out.
Old 12-12-05, 02:50 AM
DVD Talk Reviewer

AsmodeusVice:

Could you please email me I would like to ask you a few very specific questions regarding your great set up. I tried emailng you but my email bounced back

Pro-B
Old 12-12-05, 07:15 AM

Originally Posted by fmian
The room needs a little tidy up, but I'm sure you'll do that when you move out.
If you think that's messy, you should see my computer room .

Part of that has to do with the fact that I tore the hell out of the living room to put up the screen and get rid of the 55" Mits RP Tv I had. I JUST got the projector this past Wednesday.

The rest of it has to do with the fact that I have way too much stuff and nowhere to put it.

I still have a bunch of movie posters I'd love to hang, but have no wall space (even less now with the screen where it is).

And then there's the issue of having DVD's out the ass...
Old 12-12-05, 10:27 AM
Banned

Is it me or is this thread just a bragging thread for people to show off what they own? I have a nice collection but I would never throw pictures of it on here, that is showing off...Who cares how much CRAP you own?
Old 12-12-05, 10:36 AM

Originally Posted by Billyspunk
Is it me or is this thread just a bragging thread for people to show off what they own? I have a nice collection but I would never throw pictures of it on here, that is showing off...Who cares how much CRAP you own?
Well, you can think of it that way, but it just a way for us to get ideas, see how others watch the movies we talk about. Be it on a 9inch tv to a 90inch projector ... I don't think we say on here ... "Oh, how can you watch movies on there?" or anything like that.

I like seeing what other have and how they setup everything.
Old 12-12-05, 10:41 AM

Originally Posted by Billyspunk
Personally, I love this thread. I like to see what people own...
Old 12-12-05, 10:43 AM
Banned

Hey Slowpc, how do you like DVDProfiler? I use DVD Afficianado, is this one better?
Old 12-12-05, 10:47 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Nice setup AsmodeusVice. Are you going to mount the projector somewhere or is the ghetto setup staying?
Old 12-12-05, 03:29 PM

Originally Posted by Big Worms
Nice setup AsmodeusVice. Are you going to mount the projector somewhere or is the ghetto setup staying?
I'm not gonna mount it proper cause I have to move in July (they're tearing down our apartment complex so the rich people can move in to spanking new condos), and it'll take some ingenuity to secure it somewhere (I actually have it sitting on my kitchen counter projecting over the breakfast bar, and it's just behind the cabinets overhead). So the effort it will take to mount it isn't really worth it for only 7 months.

I might just end up making a makeshift table and secure it better on the counter, but as far as doing it right, it'll have to wait till my new place. The phone books were the Macguyver solution so I could enjoy it right away .
Old 12-12-05, 03:38 PM

Originally Posted by Dawg
Personally, I love this thread. I like to see what people own...
I agree. I don't think of it as showing off more than just enjoying how others have created their own home theater.

I personally like to see how people maneuver around the space that they're given to optimize the way their HT is set up. Hell, I had 2 windows in my way of hanging my screen, but I don't need to look outside.

My personal favorite is seeing how people store their DVD's. If you've got 50 DVD's it's not much of an issue, but when your collection is over 1800, then you've got to get creative.

Each of us has different budgets for our HT, and I personally applaud everyone that has made their HT work for them with what resources they have. My hat's off to you all.
Old 12-13-05, 08:26 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 101 Likes on 63 Posts
You can see brand new pics of my entire DVD collection - with enough detail so that every title can be read - here:
http://www.geocities.com/danwiz47/De...ollection.html

I did the titling on the shelves ONLY in PhotoShop, it is not painted on the shelves.
Old 12-13-05, 09:50 AM

Well, it's very different than a car club where people actually meet up and pretend to like the n00b's car with stock everything just because he paid the membership fee.

It doesn't matter if the DVDs are on IKEA shelves, a pipe stand, or in a $500 cabinet, the reason for the site is DVDs and movies. I would agree with the same post on classicdolltalk.com, though.
Old 12-13-05, 11:23 AM

I agree, I don't think this is about bragging or showing off. I LOVE to see how people arrange their dvds. Storage is a HUGE problem for me. I've lost track, but I think I have around 700 dvds, in a one bedroom apartment, with a husband who collects BOOKS.

I actually appreciate all the effort people have put into their HT. I also appreciate the effort everyone has put in to post their pictures and bothering to share!
Old 12-13-05, 11:31 AM

I like this thread too. But you have to admit there's a little bit of showing off going on.
Old 12-13-05, 12:29 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

I also think there is a bit of showing off going on - but nothing wrong with that. At least here people can appreciate what others have. When most people see my DVD collection, they think I am crazy for having as many as I do - and my collection is small compared to most here. Or the people who think a Bose system would be better than what I have, because they have never heard of the brand Paradigm before... Actually had someone ask why I didn't get Bose speakers because "they are suppose to be the best". At least here you don't have to hear about how you blew your whole paycheck, and how now we can't afford to get the kids jackets this winter.... nevermind.

Last edited by cpgator; 12-13-05 at 12:33 PM.
Old 12-13-05, 01:53 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Something else I wonder about - I see some posts here of vast DVD collections, but the accompanying theater set up appears completely lacking. Make me wonder why some people would spend so much money on DVDs, but not invest in something worthy to view them on. If someone can afford 500+ DVDs, shouldn't they be able to afford a decent home theater?
Old 12-13-05, 03:27 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally Posted by AsmodeusVice
I took pics of my HT because I just got an Infocus 4805 and just finished setting it up and calibrating it. So I thought I’d share them. I can’t believe how awesome that projector is. I thought I was in heaven when I got my 55" Mits, but THIS takes the cake.
Have you tried viewing HD content with this projector? If so, how does it perform? Do you have any links that could help someone with building a screen? What materials did you use to make it? How do these compare to "real" screens running in the hundreds or thousands of dollars?

Thanks for the help!
Old 12-13-05, 03:37 PM

Received 21 Likes on 20 Posts
Originally Posted by cpgator
Something else I wonder about - I see some posts here of vast DVD collections, but the accompanying theater set up appears completely lacking. Make me wonder why some people would spend so much money on DVDs, but not invest in something worthy to view them on. If someone can afford 500+ DVDs, shouldn't they be able to afford a decent home theater?

I know! My thoughts exactly.

For me, it would be the reverse. I'd eschew the collection, in favor of a more elaborate home theater setup, and just Netflix the damn DVD's.
Old 12-13-05, 03:50 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 913 Likes on 648 Posts
From what I gather a lot that have mentioned this in previous threads bring up a couple factors. One, if someone is still apartment hopping and haven't settled down, a 400lb 60" tv is probably not the best option, for moving and space reasons. Another is spouses. Some wives may tolerate a dvd collection but do not want to be overrun by electronics. I'm sure there are more legitimate reasons, but I'd hate to generalize them all in one category. People have their reasons.

Nothing compares to the giant video game collectors though. Some links posted in this forum always show the same thing, thousands of games, hundreds of systems & accessories, and in the corner? A 13" tv with a small chair to sit in.
Old 12-13-05, 03:51 PM

That's easy: Not everyone cares about A/V quality. I have 500+ DVDs, and I watch them on a 5-year-old 20-inch TV with internal speakers. As long as I can see and hear the film, I really don't care about picture or sound quality. Part of this has to do with the kinds of movies I like (foreign, old, silent, indie) but even the few whiz-bang movies I do own (LotR) I feel I can fully appreciate without any real HT setup. I'm sure audio- and videophiles will disagree and/or have seizures, but for the experience I'm looking to have when watching a movie, picture and sound quality aren't all that important.

Eventually I'll get a projector for my basement, but that'll be just to increase the image size and therefore the number of people who can watch, rather than to improve the presentation quality.
Old 12-13-05, 03:54 PM

I second both responses... even though we do have a 54" Sony Widescreen HDTV down the basement.

For a long time I watched my movies on my 30" RCA with my Sony surround system and that was just fine.
Old 12-13-05, 04:07 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by illennium
Eventually I'll get a projector for my basement, but that'll be just to increase the image size and therefore the number of people who can watch, rather than to improve the presentation quality.
Well, when you do, it will be incredible. The jump in size/quality will be drastic when moving from 20" to a screen best measured in feet. I think getting a projector is a bigger jump than going from mono to DTS.
Old 12-13-05, 04:10 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I watch mine on a 6year old 25inch sony tv with internal speakers and I dont find my enjoyment any less that if I had a projection screen and the latest surround sound.

My next TV will be a bit bigger (and HD) but I will only buy that when this one dies, which hopefully wont be for a few years yet

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.