Community
Search
DVD Talk Talk about DVDs and Movies on DVD including Covers and Cases

Do you prefer buying online?

Search this Thread

Old 08-14-05, 07:29 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts
Probably 95% of my purchases are on line, which includes CH and imports from other regions.

I've gone past the "gotta have it the DAY it is released" syndrome, so online orders that haven't arrived by release date are no big deal. In many cases, patiently waiting for the title to show up at CH is worth the savings, especially if it's a movie I'm familiar with already.

In other cases, DeepDiscount will lower their price on Tuesday for major releases to match the best advertised national price (BestBuy, Circuit City, etc.) so the fact that I can get the item at the best price, not have to pay sales tax, and not have to deal with warm, inviting store environements makes online the way to go.
Old 08-14-05, 07:42 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I buy 95% of my DVD's online for the convenience factor. Every Monday my pre-ordered discs from DVD Empire are waiting for me on my doorstep. No need to bother with all the riff-raff at the b&m stores.
Old 08-14-05, 07:44 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I buy almost all of my media (games, music, movies, books) online. The b&m prices after a titles initial release week seem rediculous in comparison. There are a few exceptions to this rule however (mainly highly anticipated stuff).
Old 08-14-05, 08:12 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 255 Likes on 179 Posts
Anymore I buy just twice a year. The DDD 20% off sale. There's nothing I can't wait for I just keep track of what's come out and place an order for $1500 or so(-20%) twice a year. Exception are titles with a screwy distribution. As far as buying at store so I can return if defective, I've got dvds I've had for years and never opened.

Last edited by rw2516; 08-14-05 at 08:15 AM.
Old 08-14-05, 08:14 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

I go wherever I get the cheapest price. I've got such a backlog of titles I need to watch that getting something on "day 1" isn't that important to me. That being said, I'd say I do about 50/50 shopping between b&m/online. I'll get all my major release titles at b&m's during the first week since they usually beat online prices, and I'll get my catalog titles/Criterions/odd releases through online retailers. I also buy a lot of used titles, and go shopping at GameStop/EB/pawn shops several times a month.
Old 08-14-05, 08:53 AM
DVD Talk Legend

I bet I buy a good 90-95% of my stuff online. It's always cheaper for the most part (the occasional deal accounts for the other 5-10% elsewhere) and if I shop right, I don't have to pay for shipping and no taxes. The government has lost a lot of money on me because most of my collection was purchased TAX FREE!!!!!
Old 08-14-05, 09:32 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I, too, prefer B&M as previously stated because of the "shake test". I live in the sticks (closest town is Athens, TX whose only DVD seller is Wal-Mart). So, if there's a title I suspect Wal-Mart won't have available on release day (i.e. American Gothic: The Complete Series), I'll pre-order it from DDD so it arrives on my doorstep on or before release day.
Old 08-14-05, 09:47 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 239 Likes on 175 Posts
Lots of imports so online is the way for me. Probably 50/50 on domestic releases.
Old 08-14-05, 10:34 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

like most have already said, i will pick up new releases in a b&m on release day (or in release week). more rare releases or those that i have missed will come from DDD (or rarely amazon).
Old 08-14-05, 10:38 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 460 Likes on 373 Posts
Originally Posted by darkside
I prefer saving money. The lowest price gets my business. If the price online and in store is the same I will probably go in store.
I do the same thing too.
Old 08-14-05, 12:34 PM

Received 107 Likes on 89 Posts
I buy 95% of my DVDs online. So, yeah!
Old 08-14-05, 12:49 PM

For new "popular" releases at the best price, I hit Walmart the same week of first release.

When I feel like perusing hundreds of dvd's in the flesh and spending at least $100, I drive over to DVDPlanet's store front
Old 08-14-05, 01:42 PM

Buying online means being able to secure better prices most of the time. I rarely buy from the store (not counting those deals on pre-viewed DVDs at rental stores) unless I'm pressed to get a gift in short time or I have some kind of gift certificate/coupon.
Old 08-14-05, 02:06 PM

I buy most of my DVDs online as well. It's not just the savings, which are significant except on whatever high-profile title-of-the-week is being featured at BB or CC or wherever (which I rarely buy anyway). It's that I buy a lot of music DVDs that are often not stocked in stores, and when they are they're never on sale.

The other reason I buy online (not just DVDs, but almost everything) is to avoid the time, hassle, and expense of driving around to stores and standing in checkout lines. I hate shopping almost as much as I hate movie theaters.

RichC
Old 08-14-05, 02:39 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 22 Likes on 18 Posts
I buy where it's cheapest. That's usually online, which is also more convenient (I don't have to waste my valuable time going to the store).

I buy the majority of my DVDs at Deep Discount, unless there's a really good deal locally. It tends to be cheapest, and I have no problem with returns on the rare occasion I've needed to do one.
Old 08-14-05, 03:48 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

A majority of the time I order online, except in the rare cases where it is cheaper at a B&M or if I'm really impatient to own something.

Recently I haven't been buying much at all, in anticipation of the DDD 20% sale, at which time I intend to spend a rather large sum of money.

There's something exciting about coming home from a long day of work and/or school to find a large package on your doorstep full of DVDs and books you've been wanting...
Old 08-14-05, 04:34 PM
Banned

Currently I buy my DVDs from a rental store at rock bottom prices, after four weeks or less of their initial release date. Purchase one DVD for nine ninety-five, and the second DVD at half price for five dollars. To me personally, it's a better deal, than buying brand new DVDs from a B&M store.
And as far as the condition of the DVDs is concerned, have been very good, and practically new. When I first started my DVD collection, when the format debut in the year of nineteen ninety-seven, I used to purchased all brand new DVDs from the B&M store, didn't realize I was paying a small fortune.
Old 08-14-05, 04:48 PM

Yes, I usually find them online cheaper. Plus my "Super" Wal-Mart doesn't have the greatest selection, and its 25 miles to the next closest store to buy DVDs.
Old 08-14-05, 05:01 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts
R1 in stores; other regions online. Even though I have several stores around me that sell imports but I prefer buying them online because their way cheaper.
Old 08-14-05, 05:12 PM

I only go online when I can't get something in store, but its easier for me since I work at Best Buy, lol. For everything I can't find, I go to DDD, Amazon, or DVD Empire.
Old 08-14-05, 05:19 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by me12321
A majority of the time I order online, except in the rare cases where it is cheaper at a B&M or if I'm really impatient to own something.

Recently I haven't been buying much at all, in anticipation of the DDD 20% sale, at which time I intend to spend a rather large sum of money.

There's something exciting about coming home from a long day of work and/or school to find a large package on your doorstep full of DVDs and books you've been wanting...

Do your postman actually leave packages on your doorstep unattended for a long duration of time, to allow someone to steal them? I would be really concern to that effect. Generally, if the resident is not available at the time of delivery, to accept any oversized size packages, that would not fit into your mailbox, he should leave a delivery notice inside your mailbox, for the package to be personally pick up at the post office for extra precautions, and security measures.
What if the package contain all of your personal information inside, that's needed for identity theft? For any future deliveries you may have, I would immediately get in contact with your local post office, to make arrangements to change your delivery request and require that information to be documented on your record.
At the present time, you are extremely vulnerable to the high crime of identity theft.
Old 08-14-05, 05:51 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 174 Likes on 138 Posts
I buy 100% of any new releases online (whether through something like DDD or through Columbi House). I can't recall the last time I bought from a B&M store. Actually, other than the SCTV deals through BBV, I don't think I've bought anything at a B&M store in several years. I don't see any reason to do so. The prices are not competitive, the convenience is lacking, I have never had a problem returning or exchanging a bad disk, etc. That being said, I do trade in/pick up used titles through a local used DVD store on occasion.
Old 08-14-05, 06:52 PM
Needs to contact an admin about multiple accounts

the films i buy are rarely sold in B&M's.... so, online.
Old 08-15-05, 02:24 AM

Originally Posted by SINGLE104
Generally, if the resident is not available at the time of delivery, to accept any oversized size packages, that would not fit into your mailbox, he should leave a delivery notice inside your mailbox, for the package to be personally pick up at the post office for extra precautions, and security measures.
That only applies to certified or express mail.

Depending on one's location, it might not be an issue. When I used to live in the NH woods, even fedex would leave packages on my back porch without my sig. Now, that I live in a city, any big boxes or sensitive items get sent to my office.
Old 08-15-05, 02:59 AM

Yes, because it's usually cheaper.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.