DVD Talk Forum

DVD Talk Forum (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/)
-   DVD Talk (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/dvd-talk-3/)
-   -   Do you prefer buying online? (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/dvd-talk/434118-do-you-prefer-buying-online.html)

duff beer 08-13-05 10:18 PM

Do you prefer buying online?

I was wondering how a lot of prominent dvds like box sets and SE's are so cheap through online stores than their price at the store, usually 1/2 or 1/3 of their store price, do you buy them online if they're cheaper or is using credit over cash an important aspect that deters you from buying?
Or is it the shipping total and time to arrive? I wouldn't mind paying at all 5 dollars for expedited shipping where it arrives within a few days which in total is still extensively cheaper than its local store counterpart.

kevin75 08-13-05 10:21 PM

i buy where it's cheapest.

Mr. Cinema 08-13-05 10:41 PM

99% of the time I buy in store. Because it's much easier returning a defective dvd at a b&m rather than online.

john924 08-13-05 10:43 PM

Buying direct from the shops will mean that you will get the product alot quicker. But my main concern in the long run is saving money, which means I prefer to buy online.

You can also easily compare prices for products online as well so you can get the best price for a particular product that you are interested in.

geoffy22 08-13-05 10:44 PM

Originally Posted by Mr. Cinema
99% of the time I buy in store. Because it's much easier returning a defective dvd at a b&m rather than online.

I do the opposite..DDD is such a godsend..I've saved so much the past two years...the return situation is alomost moot..I buy what I like..if damaged, i've never had a problem exchanging- even with shipping/gas/transportation costs...it's all a wash.

TomOpus 08-13-05 11:07 PM

I'll do both. It just depends on the release and my mood. :)

I've never had a problem buying online until recently when Bestbuy.com sent me an empty box (except for the packing slip and return instructions).

LasVegasMichael 08-13-05 11:11 PM

99% Online, 95% of which is DDD. Price is the largest factor, but convenience is a very close second. Even with hundreds of DVDs purchased from them, I have never returned one for damage. Never had to, so far.

With the exception of bargain DVDs (i.e. Walmart et al $5.50 wonders), there is no reason for me to shop for DVDs in a B&M. The price alone is the deal maker, let alone everything else.

Maxflier 08-13-05 11:17 PM

I buy mostly in-store so i don't have to wait for shipment and also because i like being able to inspect the case and give it the shake test.

Fincher Fan 08-13-05 11:18 PM

Online. Most of my last purchases have been from R2 and R3.

Joe Molotov 08-13-05 11:40 PM

I like buying in store because you can go and get what you want right now, instead of waiting a few days.

darkside 08-13-05 11:43 PM

I prefer saving money. The lowest price gets my business. If the price online and in store is the same I will probably go in store.

aw614 08-13-05 11:51 PM

its my only choice...especially for hk/asian movies, unless I wait once a year for my vacation to nyc, where its cheaper than online.

critterdvd 08-14-05 01:06 AM

Well Im usually very busy durring the day with school, so I find ordering online alot easier (and usually cheaper)...

gutwrencher 08-14-05 01:33 AM

Price means nothing to me most of the time. If I want the film/dvd, then I'll take it from whoever provides me with the best service, and easiest route. It all depends.

Good, reliable service...I'll pay extra for. If I'm working 10+ hour days, having a few orders arrive at my house via on-line is always a treat....and a well deserved one. I also like overnight type shipping since I hate waiting. Watching the mailbox day after day for something is whats a waste of time to me. I like to order and know 100% that it will be here in 24 or 48 hours.

Now, if I'm out on one of those monster days and have forgotton to order a title or two online...then I have no problem sliding into BB or Borders and grabbing something. I'm finding more and more though, that the titles I seek are getting harder to find around release day.

But for the most part....it's online shopping. In all these years of building my library, very few problems have surfaced.

pro-bassoonist 08-14-05 02:03 AM

I import a lot...so Online.

Pro-B

PHMustang2000 08-14-05 02:33 AM

Most of the DVDs I get, I get from Amazon.com unless there is a DVD I want really really bad. I buy it at the store the day it comes out.

The Cow 08-14-05 02:49 AM

Time is not important for me. Cheapest is (with very few exceptions, like Sin City where I might want a particular cover).

A few years ago, online was 99% of the time the cheapest (by far), times have changed. It's a mix now.

theguyoverthere 08-14-05 02:51 AM

Usually I go online, but that because I don't like crowds and often buy used DVDs off the forums or eBay...

chileorgullo 08-14-05 02:52 AM

sorry to be off topic, can someone explain b&m, I've heard this used quite a bit recently :shrug: English is my second language.

Caliking 08-14-05 02:57 AM

i usually buy new releases in store.
i buy missed purchases online.

Fincher Fan 08-14-05 03:04 AM

Originally Posted by chileorgullo
sorry to be off topic, can someone explain b&m, I've heard this used quite a bit recently :shrug: English is my second language.

B&M = Bricks & Mortar = Retail store

chileorgullo 08-14-05 03:12 AM

Originally Posted by Fincher Fan
B&M = Bricks & Mortar = Retail store

thanks for the quick reply, and to get back on topic I prefer B&M -wink-

Egon's Ghost 08-14-05 04:55 AM

I usually only buy from Amazon, and have never had a problem returning a defective disc. Of course, sometimes it isn't clear what you're buying, as in the case of MGM's re-release of the Terminator; Amazon still had it listed as SE. If I had been in a store, I wouldn't have made the mistake. But I was able to return it. Anyway, I usually buy online.

nightmaster 08-14-05 05:52 AM

Cheapest means the most to me. I'll pre-order from DDD when I know the titles are going to be super cheap and I don't want to go fishing in the stores for them. I probably buy 10 or so a year from DDD and they get most of my online buying business. I usually hit the pawn shops for titles that I know will be there because they're big releases and people will be turning loose of them in a matter of weeks. I hate throwing $20 at a disc when I can get them from $5 to $10 as long as I'm patient. For titles like Batman Begins I'll make an exception and buy on release day, but that only happens 3 or 4 times a year.

speedyray 08-14-05 07:28 AM

I buy almost exclusively online. Since I seldom whach something as soon as I purchase it, time is never that important. Cost is by far the most important aspect. I purchase alot of used DVDs and trade alot of DVDs. The only time I buy retail is when the sale is just so astounding I can not pass it up or when I by PVD at Hastings or BB. I never buy at release either. Price drops come to quick these days. Wait two months and save $5-$10 - or maybe even realize there will be another release and save a double dip.