Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > DVD Talk
Reload this Page >

The One & Only DOCTOR WHO DVD Thread (8th Incarnation)

Community
Search
DVD Talk Talk about DVDs and Movies on DVD including Covers and Cases

The One & Only DOCTOR WHO DVD Thread (8th Incarnation)

Search this Thread

Old 07-28-14, 07:19 PM

Received 77 Likes on 59 Posts
Re: The One & Only DOCTOR WHO DVD Thread (8th Incarnation)

Its all of the clasic show. The only thing not in the picture is the sixth series on bluray, which is on my TV stand.
Old 07-28-14, 08:37 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

So is that all of the R1 DVDs or does that include some R2 releases?
Old 07-28-14, 08:59 PM

All Region 1. I started before I knew how cheap the R2 releases where and I just kept going with them. Most of them where picked up during the 50% BBC sales that Barnes and Noble have, and there was a period where Best Buy was putting a couple on sale every couple of weeks for around $9-$13. I also grabbed the last batch that went OOP from Mike's Comics before they went out of stock. I think that the most I paid for any of them was the Key to Time set, but I got it around $26 at B&N thanks to the 50% off sale, members discount, a doubling up on a 25% coupon and the $8 off a DVD coupon. If you're patient and shop around you can usually find some good deals.
Old 07-29-14, 09:24 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1,410 Likes on 1,033 Posts

Very nice. We've also had to use a lot of sales and buying them used to get our collection. I'm going to have to wait for them to repress the OOP ones though, I'm missing about 4-5 of those.

Edit: Just did a quick count, I'm still needing 43 titles. When's the next B&N sale?

Last edited by milo bloom; 07-29-14 at 09:31 AM.
Old 07-29-14, 05:54 PM

I think it might be coming up soon. I seem to remember the sale usually happening after the Criterion sale.
Old 07-30-14, 10:36 AM

Received 27 Likes on 17 Posts

I'm missing 14 titles...I used to get great deals on sales but they have been few and far between.
Old 08-02-14, 08:01 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Location: In a small pocket universe hoping to someday become a Moderator Emeritus at DVDTalk.com!
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Guess Who is on the cover of the new Entertainment Weekly?
Old 08-03-14, 03:16 PM

If anyone needs the the Enemy of the World and Web of Fear DVDs are on sale for $11.99 on Amazon. The Moonbase is $14.99.
Old 08-09-14, 02:07 AM
DVD Talk Legend

I just wanted to say, after recently being introduced to Doctor Who, that this thread is a goldmine.

Does anyone know if these OOP R1 releases are going to ever go back in print, or am I best off just keeping a constant search going on eBay?
Old 08-11-14, 12:56 PM

They said when the discs went OOP that there were no plans at the moment to reissue them. There are rumors of season sets, but I don't think that it will ever happen. And while there are some dvds like Ghost Light that have horrible picture quality and could use some remastering, I don't think that they could do anything better than the older special editions of serials like Battlefield, Curse of Fenric, or Planet of Fire.

If you are region free, it would probably be cheaper to import the region 2 PAL discs from Amazon UK. Based on the prices that the Two Doctors and Ghost Light discs are selling for, it might still be cheaper to buy a region free player and the discs that are OOP in the states.

ALSO: Film Aficionado shows City of Death as being out of print, but the Mike's Movie Mayhem website lists it as being in print. I know he also does the OOP thread on this board, and it hasn't been updated in over a week, so I don't know whether or not it actually is OOP. But it's cheap on Amazon right now and it's a great Tom Baker story.

Last edited by flansered; 08-11-14 at 01:08 PM.
Old 08-11-14, 11:06 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by flansered
They said when the discs went OOP that there were no plans at the moment to reissue them. There are rumors of season sets, but I don't think that it will ever happen. And while there are some dvds like Ghost Light that have horrible picture quality and could use some remastering, I don't think that they could do anything better than the older special editions of serials like Battlefield, Curse of Fenric, or Planet of Fire.
Part of the problem with Ghost Light was down to a). the lighting and b). the use of really old studio cameras, meaning there wasn't really a lot that could be done.

Here is a link to the Restoration Team's original article on what was wrong with the story and what they did to make it look as good as possible.
Old 08-13-14, 02:20 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by flansered
ALSO: Film Aficionado shows City of Death as being out of print, but the Mike's Movie Mayhem website lists it as being in print. I know he also does the OOP thread on this board, and it hasn't been updated in over a week, so I don't know whether or not it actually is OOP. But it's cheap on Amazon right now and it's a great Tom Baker story.
It's currently back ordered on Amazon, so it looks like it may be.
Old 08-14-14, 03:40 PM

Originally Posted by mythmaker18
Part of the problem with Ghost Light was down to a). the lighting and b). the use of really old studio cameras, meaning there wasn't really a lot that could be done.

Here is a link to the Restoration Team's original article on what was wrong with the story and what they did to make it look as good as possible.
Wow. I didn't know about that. I know some of the earlier dvds have pretty disappointing picture quality, but newer remastered dvds of some serials (like Inferno) have looked better.
Old 08-25-14, 01:30 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 2,741 Likes on 1,889 Posts

THE GOOD NEWS: We're finally getting a release of "Day of the Doctor" with The Five(ish) Doctors and other content including Matt Smith's guest appearance on "The Sarah Jane Adventures" and the 2013 proms concert.

THE BAD NEWS: It's only available in "The Complete Matt Smith Years" blu-ray boxed set. Yes, if you want a single disc's worth of new content, you'll have to rebuy the stuff you already own... possibly for the second time if you've also bought the Series 1-7 blu-ray set.

Last edited by Josh-da-man; 08-25-14 at 01:39 PM.
Old 09-01-14, 09:27 PM

I can't believe that they aren't releasing the 50th Anniversary set that they're releasing in the UK here too. I mean, "The Complete Matt Smith Years" set is great for someone who's recently gotten into the show to get all of the Eleventh Doctor's adventures in one go. But why not release that 50th Anniversary set too for the fans who already own the 5th, 6th and/or 7th series. It would only take authoring one new disc. It just seems that they're leaving potential money on the table by just releasing the big box set.
Old 09-03-14, 10:14 AM

Originally Posted by imthewalrus79
I can't believe that they aren't releasing the 50th Anniversary set that they're releasing in the UK here too. I mean, "The Complete Matt Smith Years" set is great for someone who's recently gotten into the show to get all of the Eleventh Doctor's adventures in one go. But why not release that 50th Anniversary set too for the fans who already own the 5th, 6th and/or 7th series. It would only take authoring one new disc. It just seems that they're leaving potential money on the table by just releasing the big box set.
Perhaps because the US has already gotten a blu-ray release for An Adventure in Time and Space?

People on the other side of the pond are suggesting that the BBC should have given them a separate blu-ray for that rather than bundling it together with all the other stuff.

Also, there are some reports that the UK 50th set does not have the 3D version of the special included, despite it being shows on earlier versions of the boxset artwork. It has yet to be determined, though, whether the UK's 2D version of the Anniversary special will still be slowed down to 24p, or if it will play at the proper 1080i/50 (for those who want to know, the blu-ray of An Adventure.. included in this boxset will be 50i, and not the slowed-down 24p one the US got).
Old 09-10-14, 10:16 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 82 Likes on 49 Posts

Doctor Who: The Complete Eighth Series

Order Due Date: 11/4
Street Date: 12/9
DVD $79.98
Cat# 1000486897
UPC 883929410538

BD $89.98
Cat# 1000486898
UPC 883929410545

The Doctor is back! This time with a new face, a new personality and a new set of thrilling adventures across time and space!

Join Twelfth Doctor Peter Capaldi for a whole new set of spellbinding adventures across time and space in the eighth season of BBC AMERICA’s hit show Doctor Who! Jenna Coleman (Captain America: The First Avenger) returns as the Doctor’s companion Clara for what promises to be the most electrifying season yet!

The Doctor Who Series Eight premiere 8/23 was the highest rated season premiere ever for BBC AMERICA, delivering 2.58 million total viewers and Doctor Who ranked #1 in all of cable from 8-10pm among total viewers and A25-54.

The season premiere encore screening 8/25 in movie theaters was the #1 film of the night, beating Guardians of the Galaxy!

Doctor Who was the #1 best-selling licensed property at Hot Topic for all of 2013 and spring 2014!

Doctor Who has a huge social media following:

Over 4.4 MILLION Facebook “likes”

Doctor Who was the #1 show in all of television on Twitter and Tumblr for 8/23, the day of the Season 8 premiere

The Doctor Who 50th Anniversary Special set a record on Tumblr with the highest level of activity of any televised event ever, surpassing even the Super Bowl!
Old 09-11-14, 09:03 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1,410 Likes on 1,033 Posts

That pricing.... surely all the secondary merchandising is doing a better job of subsidizing this show now, $90 for 12 episodes is just nuts. I just now bought all three of Matt Smith's seasons on Blu since Best Buy had them for $20 each a few weeks ago.
Old 09-11-14, 10:28 AM

I'm sure that it will be cheaper on release week, but still around $60. Give it sometime and it will drop more. The seventh series was initially the same price is usually under $35.
Old 09-11-14, 08:08 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

I'm a bit off topic (just) but does anyone know when Barnes and Nobles have thier BBC sale? I'm missing the 3 or 4 last DW DVD releases and might want to grab them there. Thanks for the info.
Old 09-12-14, 01:31 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by milo bloom
That pricing.... surely all the secondary merchandising is doing a better job of subsidizing this show now, $90 for 12 episodes is just nuts. I just now bought all three of Matt Smith's seasons on Blu since Best Buy had them for $20 each a few weeks ago.
Yeah, the price is ridiculous. Not only are fewer people going to buy it that inflated price, but it also keeps it out of Walmart and Target.

Still nothing new; BBC has been ass-raping Doctor Who fans for years.
Old 09-12-14, 04:30 PM

Originally Posted by Josh-da-man
Yeah, the price is ridiculous. Not only are fewer people going to buy it that inflated price, but it also keeps it out of Walmart and Target.

Still nothing new; BBC has been ass-raping Doctor Who fans for years.
I don't think it's just the price that's keeping it out of Walmart and Target, just the fact that it's Doctor Who and/or BBC is what's keeping it out of there (Duck Dynasty is more Walmart's speed, and demographic).

Even though the show is more popular than ever, it's not "mainstream" enough. It's still considered a "niche" interest, and Walmart do not stock a wide variety of niches. Heck, I was surprised when I saw The Bionic Woman in Target.
Old 09-12-14, 10:20 PM
DVD Talk Hero

There's actually a decent amount of Doctor Who DVDs in my neighborhood Walmart, and I'm out in the sticks where that Duck crap is popular.

All of this is on DVD (no blu), but they have Day of the Doctor, Time of the Doctor, Deep Breath, and those new Tennant half-season sets.

As a rule, Walmart doesn't generally carry DVDs and blurays that retail for over $30-$40. There might be an exception for the odd HBO series, but it seems that they want lower-priced items, ideally under $20. More expensive boxed sets don't show up on the shelves until the prices are reduced to the $30 range.
Old 09-13-14, 10:35 PM

Originally Posted by Josh-da-man
There's actually a decent amount of Doctor Who DVDs in my neighborhood Walmart, and I'm out in the sticks where that Duck crap is popular.

All of this is on DVD (no blu), but they have Day of the Doctor, Time of the Doctor, Deep Breath, and those new Tennant half-season sets.
Definitely better-stocked than around here! You'd have to go to Best Buy to see that many Doctor Who discs around here.
Old 11-12-14, 12:56 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Hooo boy...

http://www.bleedingcool.com/forums/f...-happened.html

Doctor Who And The Missing Episodes - What Really Happened?

So this came to me from a... connected source, let's say. I do not know the veracity of this information, and attempts to get clarification regarding its details have proved relatively fruitless. Though I am not the only one who has been sent the e-mail.

Last year Bleeding Cool ran the story that there was a whole host of Doctor Who missing episodes from the sixties that had been recovered. A few months later, a couple of them were announced and made available. Since then, there has been a lot of "shut up and wait" from those involved.

So it's time for Bleeding Cool to do what we do best. Just print the damn thing, then run for cover while everything explodes.

Like I said, I do not know whether the following is true or not. But maybe someone reading this does. It has not been edited for sense, grammar of meaning. But, hey, when do we ever do that?
from a secret source

Phil approached the BBC with news of a massive find, but wanted funding.

They gave him in on condition. He gave them Web, Enemy and Marco. Promised hundreds more. That gets leaked to DWO who go WHAAAAA and are then told to shush.

The BBC gave Phil funding

Meanwhile the source of the eps realised they were worth money and changed the goal posts. Getting them became tricky.

The Beeb pushed Phil. He said he had them all but didn't so stalled. And stalled. And stalled.

He then started mouthing off about stuff, surmising and assuming. He told WW, the BFI, actors, the RT. He HAD this stuff, of course he does! People start to talk. We get wind of it from various avenues.

But he doesn't have it. Not really. In the meantime the Beeb are pointing every lead at him, because in their eyes he's the ME Guy. He's forced to precure sh*t copies of Power, Massacre and DMP but it's grainy and some of its soundless. Useless. HE reckons his source has better copies. So he stalls. Starts a small RT of his own to clean up what he had. It'll be better than nothing.

Web and Enemy come out. Actors go mental. It's not cleared properly. It stalls Marco.

An estate of an actor in that doesn't play ball. They've seen the popularity of the others and wants a bigger cut. Legality entails.

The BBC go for Phil. Does he have the stuff? Cos if not they need their money back. Or they could absorb TIEA into BBCWW?

Phil panics. Aarrgh. He's promised this stuff. He's told the BFI. He's tried to arrange Press Conferences. He's even showed Mark Gatiss bits of Power to prove it. But he doesn't have the majority of it. So he goes online in a charm offensive. The winds in the right direction. Stay tuned. Don't panic Captain Manwaring... etc etc

Meanwhile, he still tries to procure the remains.

So, in affect, everyone is RIGHT. And wrong.

This is actually what happened. We've all been listening to various amounts of Phil's spin.

Do you see? It all makes sense. No one has anything of worth. Power is in limbo. UM was halted for the same thing - Phil thinks he will get a better copy. Same with Massacre and DMP. Marco's in legal limbo. And no one can say whats what because until the RT get a hold of this stuff no one knows for sure if they have the Holy Grail or tins full of Balsamic.

The BBC and BFI have lost patience. Phil has started paying funding back. His only way out is to get these things back from Africa. He WILL, he's confident... but when? Could be tomorrow, could be 2019, could be in 100 years. He's not lying, no one is. He's just not being 100% truthful
This would certainly explain all of the secrecy, and why Morris is being so coy.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.