Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > DVD Talk
Reload this Page >

The One & Only DOCTOR WHO DVD Thread (8th Incarnation)

DVD Talk Talk about DVDs and Movies on DVD including Covers and Cases

The One & Only DOCTOR WHO DVD Thread (8th Incarnation)

Old 12-02-06, 09:59 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Groucho
Is Logopolis Tom Baker's first commentary?
Originally Posted by Panda Phil
Nope. He did one on the recently released Hand of Fear disk.
... as well as The Ribos Operation, The Androids of Tara, and The Power of Kroll from the Key to Time set.
Old 12-04-06, 03:29 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

So what is everyones Top 3 wishlist for the next lost 60's story to be animated?

here's mine...
1 - Power of the Daleks - usually those fan made reconstruction videos bore me, but I sat through all 6 episodes of this in one sitting on the edge of my seat. It will be even better animated.

2 - Abominable Snowmen - love this story and it should come out before Web of Fear is animated, even tho many will say Web is the better story. I also think they should animate the whole thing, even the surviving episode, as it would be kind of awkward to have one episode live action and the other 5 animated, put the existing episode in the extra features section.

3 - Wheel in Space - very underrated Cyberman story. again, animate the whole thing and put the two surviving episodes in the extras.
Old 12-04-06, 04:10 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by taronga
... as well as The Ribos Operation, The Androids of Tara, and The Power of Kroll from the Key to Time set.
...as well as The Ark in Space.
Old 12-05-06, 12:00 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 2,677 Likes on 1,847 Posts
Are they going to be doing more animated reconstructions?

My votes would go for:

HARTNELL:

"Misson to the Unknown"
"The Daleks Master Plan"
"The Tenth Planet" Episode 4 (Hartnell regeneration ep.)

TROUGHTON:

"Power of the Daleks" (First Troughton serial)
"The Moonbase"
"The Evil of the Daleks"
"The Abominable Snowman"
"The Ice Warriors"
"The Web of Fear"
"The Wheel in Space"

Ideally, I would like to see the serials that featured the prominent Who nemeses -- Daleks, Cybermen, Yetis, and Ice Warriors -- given top priority for animated reconstruction.

With the next level of priority being the serials that introduced significant companions (like "The Highlanders") with the rest of the science fiction episodes below that.

The remaining "historicals" would then be given the lowest priority.

But I would like to see them recreate all of the missing episodes.
Old 12-06-06, 07:48 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 82 Likes on 49 Posts
The latest DWM (released today) reports that Survival will be released in March 2007 for Region 2.

Also, a trade magazine called Time Code has an interview with a rep from 2entertain that states that a Torchwood Series 1 box set will be released in the 4th quater of 07.
Old 12-07-06, 03:30 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

isn't there supposed to be alot of deleted scenes from Survival? Maybe they will do a special edition movie like with Curse of Fenric.
Old 12-07-06, 02:23 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by turborobb
isn't there supposed to be alot of deleted scenes from Survival? Maybe they will do a special edition movie like with Curse of Fenric.

I can't remember if there were any deleted scenes. I'd have to dig through my old Doctor Who Monthlys to see what was shot and what wasn't. I know the original scripted ending (in which the Master claims that the Doctor isn't even a Time Lord anymore) wasn't shot in favor of something less enigmatic.

First word on the Survival DVD is that it's going to be a "budget release" (not so many extras). But who knows? We might get lucky.
Old 12-07-06, 07:38 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Survival is definite:

Survival coming to DVD
New Master-stroke from 2Entertain.

April 2007's Classic Series DVD will be Survival - the last regular adventure of the original TV series.

In a year that already sees the release of The Keeper of Traken, Logopolis and Castrovalva, Survival features Anthony Ainley's final performance as the Doctor's arch-nemesis.

It also features cats on horses - which is almost as strange as cat nurses - and the comedy stylings of 80's rib-ticklers Hale and Pace.

Details of extras have yet to be announced, although the disc will feature a fan commentary recorded by a Doctor Who Magazine competition winner.

Survival is released on 3 April 2007.
http://www.bbc.co.uk/doctorwho/news/...07/38750.shtml
Old 12-07-06, 07:47 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Changes are coming for the classic Doctor Who releases (from an ongoing Outpost Gallifrey discussion):

Originally Posted by Omega's chicken
Don't know if this has been mentioned anywhere, but I've noticed over on Roobarbs that apparently there are changes planned with the way the classic series is marketed. Anyway, apologies if I've got any of this wrong, but as I understand it the new approach is as follows.

2Entertain seem to want to make the classic releases appeal to fans of the new series more; the commissioning of the extras is now under 2Entertain's purview, although the RT will still be working on some of the features. This possibly boils down to a less "serious" approach and more interactivity (whatever that means).

Lots of interesting questions there. Several of which have been replied to in the Zeta Minor thread (edited it to the more pertinent points raised by Oc):

Originally Posted by Steve Roberts
The bloke in charge is Daniel Hall, our commissioning editor. He's now taken on all the commissioning duties that the RT used to undertake, although he's commissioning features from basically the same group of people plus a couple of new ones. Whereas the contents of a disc were previously completely planned and commissioned from within the RT, from April or thereabouts you'll see a changeover to discs that are planned and commissioned by Dan. It will be interesting to see if people notice a difference... Dan's very keen that the classic series releases should be able to appeal to the new series audience, so I suspect we'll be seeing discs which are a little less earnest, more interactive and more "fun" than those that us old gits in the RT produce.

We're still looking after episode restoration and ensuring that all the disc assets are delivered to the technical standards that we always aspire to.

Dan Hall isn't really a "new broom", he's been our commissioning editor for the last year. However, he's the first CE we've worked to who is actually a Doctor Who fan. Previously we've worked to CE's who have basically given us a budget and told us when to deliver - and in most cases haven't even bothered to watch any of the material that was being put out under their responsibility. Dan is a lovely bloke and very pro-active - and quite rightly has taken the stance that as CE he's ultimately responsible for what goes out. He is, in fact, merely doing the job he's being paid to do rather than let a load of freelancers dictate the package contents. He's a big fan of the work we've done and has gone out of his way to support us and to fight our corner for us. Quite rightly though, he has his own feelings about the direction he feels the discs should be taking. Remember, the classic series releases sell a tiny fraction of the new series releases, so anything that Dan can do to make them more accessible will ultimately be of benefit to everyone.

I think there will be changes, but I'm convinced that the standards will remain as high as ever. Everyone involved is aware that our discs are considered the benchmark that all archive TV releases are measured against and nobody is interested in changing that!

I have every confidence in Dan and the featurette producers to ensure that the hiqh quality of the releases will be upheld. I think we *will* see changes in the overall content of the discs.
Originally Posted by Stradling, Ed
Other than the decision not to tell us when stories are coming out, which I suppose may cause one or two minor problems, there are no discouraging developments really.

The only real differences between the old regime and the new, is that previous commissioners at 2|entertain were not Dr Who fans, so they relied entirely on the RT for guidance as regards what stories should be released, and what features etc. should be commissioned for each release. Daniel is a fan and knows the subject, so although he is still given guidance by the team, the final decision is now his.

The principal personnel dealing with the picture and sound restoration have not changed, probably because it's very specialized and there is likely nobody who could do the job to the same standard. That's not true of feature production, so there will be some new people getting involved in the next year or so.
Old 01-11-07, 02:08 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Warner has an offical site for the Second Series release.

http://www.warnervideo.com/doctorwho/
Old 01-14-07, 12:20 AM
DVD Talk Legend

For the Region 1 release on Tuesday, it looks like 2entertain fixed something that was screwed up for the Region 2 release.

This release has almost the exact same on-disc contents as the UK region 2 edition that was released there in late November of 2006. The only significant change is that a mistake that was made on that edition has been fixed for this Region 1 release. The “Children in Need” special on the Region 2 was an early edit with an incomplete, temporary sound dub on it. For the Region 1, the finished version that originally transmitted on BBC1 has been used as it should’ve been on the Region 2 release.
Old 01-15-07, 11:37 PM
DVD Talk Legend

R2 News: Survival Update

From Steve Roberts:

OK, even though they haven't issued a press release yet, they've said it's OK to talk about the Survival release in general terms. Which means I still can't say very much, but I can tell you that it's a double-disc release, with around three hours of extra features, including three specially made documentaries as well as off-the-shelf material and even something from JNT's private collection.
and....

I don't think I should say at this point, although I would say that it shouldn't come as much of a surprise. There's also the DWM competition fan commentary for episode three, although I haven't heard it.

And fans of multi-channel sound and isolated scores will have plenty to be excited about too...

Somebody asked if Andrew Cartmel was involved... Of course he is! Andrew is a key figure in that era and would probably hunt us down and kill us if we tried to release one of his stories without his input! In fact, so dedicated is he that he changed his holiday plans in order to meet a recording date with us - top bloke!
Old 01-16-07, 11:51 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
question about confidential.

I've watched a few of these episodes and found them really enjoyable. I see they are abbreviated on the dvd season sets. My question is does the editing down hurt the episodes, or are they still pretty sound.
Old 01-16-07, 12:07 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 307 Likes on 229 Posts
Question about Tom Baker:

Did/does he have herpes? I am watching some of the episodes from the Key To Time boxset and he appears in one episode with a perfectly healed face and in the next episode he has some crustaceans on his lips. I really enjoy him as the doctor but couldn't they (makeup) have done something about this? It's hard to watch the cliffhanger of one episode where his face looks normal and then the beginning of the next episodes and he looks like he has crusted spaghetti sauce on his face.
Old 01-16-07, 12:25 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by dsa_shea
Question about Tom Baker:

Did/does he have herpes? I am watching some of the episodes from the Key To Time boxset and he appears in one episode with a perfectly healed face and in the next episode he has some crustaceans on his lips. I really enjoy him as the doctor but couldn't they (makeup) have done something about this? It's hard to watch the cliffhanger of one episode where his face looks normal and then the beginning of the next episodes and he looks like he has crusted spaghetti sauce on his face.

He was bitten by a dog before they shot that one. I forgot the whole story but I remember reading about it in one of the Who reference books from the 90s.
Old 01-16-07, 12:25 PM

If I remember the story right, I believe it was a dog bite that he suffered, which led to comical make-up attempts to cover it up.
Old 01-16-07, 12:26 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by boredsilly
question about confidential.

I've watched a few of these episodes and found them really enjoyable. I see they are abbreviated on the dvd season sets. My question is does the editing down hurt the episodes, or are they still pretty sound.

They work for what they. Little making-of venettes.
Old 01-16-07, 12:32 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 307 Likes on 229 Posts
Originally Posted by The Valeyard
He was bitten by a dog before they shot that one. I forgot the whole story but I remember reading about it in one of the Who reference books from the 90s.

Thanks for the responses. He is my favorite of the doctors and in no way was I trying to disrespect him. Thanks again!!!
Old 01-16-07, 01:16 PM

Originally Posted by The Valeyard
From Steve Roberts:
OK, even though they haven't issued a press release yet, they've said it's OK to talk about the Survival release in general terms. Which means I still can't say very much, but I can tell you that it's a double-disc release, with around three hours of extra features, including three specially made documentaries as well as off-the-shelf material and even something from JNT's private collection.
and....
Survival will be a 2 disc SE?! Seems like a lot of effort for a 3-part (not to mention mediocre) story. But since this was the last story broadcast, maybe they'll do some interesting documentaries about the end of the series.

As far as animating lost episodes goes, I hope they keep their initial focus on just filling in the gaps for incomplete stories not yet on DVD, such as Ice Warriors, The Tenth Planet and The Reign of Terror. Though if they animate Tenth Planet part 4, I hope they also include the recontruction from the VHS release so we can still see the clips in context.

Once all of existing episodes from incomplete stories are on DVD, it could be fun to see them animate stories that are completely missing (clips aside) like Power of the Daleks, Galaxy Four or Fury From the Deep.
Old 01-16-07, 01:46 PM

According to the Restoration Team, hopes for further animations are finished at this point, as they cost way too much to make them anywhere near cost effective at this point (i.e. not enough sales), which is unfortunate. So it looks like hopes for any more of the missing eps is dead in the water.
Old 01-16-07, 09:16 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Too bad. I was looking forward to more animated/missing stories.
Old 01-16-07, 09:37 PM

Did anyones Doctor Who series 2 pre-order get shipped yet?

I oredered 2 weeks ago and mine still hasnt shipped.
Old 01-16-07, 10:45 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Where did you pre-order it from?
Old 01-16-07, 10:58 PM

Amazon.....sorry forgot to mention....I thought that it should have been shipped out by now...
Old 01-17-07, 01:06 AM
DVD Talk Legend

It should have shipped today since it was release day. Did you use the free shipping method?

Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.