Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > DVD Talk
Reload this Page >

The One & Only DOCTOR WHO DVD Thread (8th Incarnation)

Community
Search
DVD Talk Talk about DVDs and Movies on DVD including Covers and Cases

The One & Only DOCTOR WHO DVD Thread (8th Incarnation)

Search this Thread

Old 01-26-06, 03:47 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Thanks for the coupon. Unfortunately I'm not new customer and I don't use VISA. heh.
Old 01-27-06, 08:46 AM

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Genesis and Inferno...now there are two that I have been eagerly anticipating for quite a while. Excellent news!

Old 01-27-06, 10:35 AM

Is there a chance that the US dvd set of the new Doctor Who will be any different than the Canadian one? If there's likely no change in content, I'll probably go with the Canadian set since I do not have Sci Fi Channel.
In the past, I think all North American Doctor Who releases, whether VHS or DVD, have been identical, including all packaging, right? I don't think there's any French on the Canadian releases, I think they just get the same thing we do.

If that's the case, then the only differenced would be release date and, possibly, price. Anyone's guess as to whether it'll be more expensive to import the Canadian "early" release or to order the US "late" one, as they're essentially the same product, just withheld from us for now.

By the way, anyone else disappointed that this is a cardboard digipack? I'd have preferred a nice plastic case as has been the norm with most BBC stuff. It's not as bad as the UK box, but it's still crappy cardboard.
Old 01-28-06, 01:35 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Genesis!
Old 01-28-06, 11:48 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
When are classic series releases in the US and Canada going to line up more closely with the UK release dates?

I hate to think that Inferno and Genesis might not be released in R1 until late 2006 or 2007. I'm still waiting for Revelation; and sort of still waiting for Web Planet.
Old 01-28-06, 01:54 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Yes! Two of my favourite episodes.

It always amazes me just how "sci-fi" Doctor Who really was.
Old 02-08-06, 11:50 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 82 Likes on 49 Posts
R1 News: Genesis & Revelation of the Daleks - June 2

From TVShowsonDVD.com

Doctor Who - Get a Double-Dose Of the Daleks This June: 2 More Releases Announced!

Posted by David Lambert 2/08/2006
As we edge closer to the March 28th release date of Doctor Who - The Beginning, fans are already getting excited about what's next for the original Time Lord series. Many of you have already heard about the overseas plans for the next two titles, and now Warner Home Video is preparing to announce them for Region 1 (North America) release as well!

June 6th will see the release of Doctor Who - Story #078: Genesis of the Daleks and Doctor Who - Story #143: Revelation of the Daleks. Each digitally remastered release will sell for $34.98 SRP. Here are some basics:

Doctor Who - Story #078: Genesis of the Daleks stars Tom Baker as the 4th Doctor. This 6-part storyline from 1975 comes on 2 DVDs runs over four and a half hours. The Terry Nation-written story has the Time Lords interrupting the transmat travel of The Doctor, Sarah Jane and Harry, and instruct them to go far back in the past to Skaro and stop the origins of the Daleks. Along the way they encounter both native races of the planet, the Thals and the Kaleds, as they approach the end of The Thousand Year War. They also meet a disfigured Kaled scientist named Davros! Extras include Commentary by Tom Baker and others, the "Genesis of a Classic" featurette with interviews of a large number of cast and crew, the "Dalek Tapes" featurette which covers the various appearances of the Daleks in the original Doctor Who program, a "Blue Peter" look at the models and model sets, Photo Gallery, Subtitle Production Text Commentary, and more!

Doctor Who - Story #143: Revelation of the Daleks stars Colin Baker as the 6th Doctor. This is a 2-part story from 1985 which comes on a single DVD running just under three hours. John Nathan-Turner produced these episodes which feature The Doctor and Peri who arrive on the planet Necros, the home of a center called Tranquil Repose, where terminally ill patients go to be put in suspended animation until a cure for their illness is found. Look out, though! The "Great Healer" of Tranquil Repose turns out to be none other than Davros, who is using these patients to try to start a brand new race of Daleks! The Doctor's dilemma is that the only power in the universe which might stop Davros' evil plans are...the original Daleks?!?! Bonus material includes Commentary, a "Revelation Exhumed" featurette that takes you behind the scenes of this production, a short "In Studio" featurette that takes a look at a recording session, 3 Deleted Scenes, Replacement Effects, Photo Gallery, Subtitle Production Text Commentary, an Easter Egg, and more!

Note that there is a musical replacement on the Revelation of the Daleks release: The Doctor Who Restoration Team reports that "Rights could not be obtained to use the Jimi Hendrix track, 'Fire', which plays over one of the DJ sequences...Mark (Ayres) re-dubbed this section from scratch, replacing the music with something hopefully more appropriate than what was used on the VHS, and carefully matching the original ambience and equalisation."

We'll let you know when we have large-size cover art for both of these. In the meantime, enjoy the super-small thumbnail of Genesis of the Daleks shown above. Stay tuned!
Link to this page:
http://www.tvshowsondvd.com/newsitem.cfm?NewsID=5067
All news for this show:
http://www.tvshowsondvd.com/shownews.cfm?ShowID=4939
More info on this show:
Doctor Who

Copyright 2001-2006 TVShowsOnDVD.com - Contact us
Old 02-08-06, 01:50 PM

I thought the Pertwee Doctor arc, Inferno was the companion disc with the Baker? Must just be R2 unless that changed as well.
Old 02-08-06, 02:32 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by D.Zero
I thought the Pertwee Doctor arc, Inferno was the companion disc with the Baker? Must just be R2 unless that changed as well.

If you look at the very top of the above post, it says R1 News.

Region 2:

Genesis of the Daleks - April 10
Inferno - May 29

Region 1:

Doctor Who: The Beginning - March 28
Genesis of the Daleks & Revelation of the Daleks - June 2
Doctor Who: The Complete First Series - July 4
Old 02-08-06, 04:44 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Region 1 Covers

Genesis of the Daleks

Revelation of the Daleks
Old 02-08-06, 07:30 PM

Originally Posted by The Valeyard
If you look at the very top of the above post, it says R1 News.

Region 2:

Genesis of the Daleks - April 10
Inferno - May 29

Region 1:

Doctor Who: The Beginning - March 28
Genesis of the Daleks & Revelation of the Daleks - June 2
Doctor Who: The Complete First Series - July 4
I saw the R1 tag. I just thought BBC were mirroring R1 with R2 releases but now I realize that it is just content that they are making standard.
Old 02-08-06, 09:23 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

[QUOTE=The Valeyard]Genesis of the Daleks

This may be my favorite R1 cover yet...
Old 02-13-06, 01:35 PM

If I order the 2005 Doctor Who season 1 set from Canada, will it be any different then the US release that is comming later this year?
Old 02-13-06, 04:16 PM
DVD Talk Legend

From what I've heard and from what people who own the actual Canadian release have said, there will be no difference what-so-ever beyond a PG Rating Sticker on the back. It'll be exactly the same as the US release in July.

Head over to the Outpost Gallifrey Boards and check out the screenshots and such.
Old 02-13-06, 04:52 PM

Cheers! I can live with a PG Rating Sticker. I saw the box earlier and it was pretty cool. Can't wait to watch this.
Old 02-13-06, 05:04 PM
DVD Talk Legend

I'm on the fence. The Who Fan in me wants it NOW but the conservative in me says "No no. Wait til July."

I'm going to the Gallifrey convention this weekend so maybe I'll bite the bullet and pick it up then.
Old 02-13-06, 06:40 PM

I couldn't wait till the summer if it is going to be the same set. Now if the American version had more content, only then I could be more patient.
Old 02-13-06, 10:00 PM
DVD Talk Legend

I'll probably jump in sooner than later. It really all depends on price.
Old 02-15-06, 11:11 AM

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Yeah, since I've seen them already, I think I'll wait to see if the US release results in a lower price than the current Canadian price (after exchange rate).
Old 02-21-06, 03:11 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Is there really going to be much of a difference? Retail was going to be 100.00 when it was announced here.
Old 02-21-06, 05:17 PM
Dai

I picked up my copy on the weekend. The 5.1 track is brilliant!!!

I've only re-watched Rose and The Doctor Dances so far, but will be watching the rest in the weeks to come.....
Old 02-21-06, 11:59 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

I got mine today. Great sound. The Tardis sounds great in Stereo!!
Asahme they h ad to cut the Doctor Who Confidentials up though.

I can't wait until Series two premieres. Soon?
Old 02-22-06, 12:10 PM
DVD Talk Legend

My friend brought his copy to California when he came out for the Gally convention. We watched it on my widescreen & surround system (two things he doesn't have) and were both blown away by the quality of this release. This is one amazing set. I can't wait to pick it up myself.

And surprisingly, Series Two hasn't been given a premiere date yet. Weird.
Old 02-23-06, 02:09 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by The Valeyard
And surprisingly, Series Two hasn't been given a premiere date yet. Weird.

All they are saying is Spring.
Old 02-24-06, 11:24 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

A new trailer debuted tonight on the US cable network, the Sci-Fi Channel, which will be showing the new series.

The channel's promotional campaign is entitled "Who Is..." and it features glimpses of the new series including the Doctor and Rose, the TARDIS (but not any clear shots of the interior), the Daleks, and scenes from various episodes, ending with a shot from "The End of the World" with the tagline "...coming in March."

This is the first sign of promotion for the new series, which debuts on March 17 on the Sci-Fi Channel, an NBC/Universal cable network airing in most of America.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.