Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > DVD Talk
Reload this Page >

The One & Only DOCTOR WHO DVD Thread (8th Incarnation)

DVD Talk Talk about DVDs and Movies on DVD including Covers and Cases

The One & Only DOCTOR WHO DVD Thread (8th Incarnation)

Old 05-14-06, 09:29 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 82 Likes on 49 Posts
BTW....Just updated the first three posts of this Thread.
Old 05-15-06, 05:22 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Okay. BBC Shop just made the cover to the box set official:

Old 05-17-06, 08:28 AM

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Inferno has always been one of my favorite stories, so I'm very pleased it made it into the September release window.
Old 05-19-06, 11:47 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by The Valeyard
Okay. BBC Shop just made the cover to the box set official:

I still say this is a mock-up, since the artist didn't do such a hot job cutting the white background around Tennant and Piper. You can still see part of the original background next to David's face and other places, too (though next to the left side of his face is the most obvious).

They probably did it in a hurry just to have something to display. Now, of course, they could go ahead and use these same images as the final design, but I'm sure the graphic artist would at least go back and clean it up a bit.
Old 05-20-06, 03:15 AM
DVD Talk Legend

From Outpost Gallifrey:

The Hand of Fear DVD
DVD / Video
May 19, 2006
The official BBC Doctor Who website has confirmed the UK DVD release of The Hand of Fear starring Tom Baker as the Doctor and Elisabeth Sladen - in her last episode as a regular on Doctor Who - as Sarah Jane Smith. The DVD is currently due out on 31 July 2006. The release will feature commentary by Baker, Sladen, Judith Paris (Eldrad), Bob Baker (writer) and Philip Hinchcliffe (producer); "Changing Times," a 50-minute documentary charting the special relationship between the Doctor and his companion Sarah Jane Smith; "Swap Shop," a very rare clip of Tom Baker and Elisabeth Sladen's appearance on the first ever edition of Noel Edmonds' Multi-Coloured Swap Shop, shown in October 1976; plus PDFs of the 1977 Doctor Who Annual and the Radio Times listings for The Hand of Fear, a photo gallery, continuity announcements, information text subtitles and easter egg.
Old 05-23-06, 04:29 PM
DVD Talk Legend

From Outpost Gallifrey:

Mark of the Rani DVD
DVD / Video
May 23, 2006
BBC Worldwide has confirmed the release of Mark of the Rani on DVD on September 4 in the UK. The story, from Season 22, stars Colin Baker and Nicola Bryant as the Doctor and Peri, with special guest stars Anthony Ainley as the Master and Kate O'Mara as the Rani. The single-disc release will contain commentaries by Baker, Bryant and O'Mara (the Doctor Who Restoration Team notes that director Sarah Hellings agreed to do the commentary but sadly couldn't make it due to scheduling reasons); "Lords and Luddites," an interview documentary featuring comments by Baker, Bryant, O'Mara, actor Gary Cady, script editor Eric Saward, writers Pip and Jane Baker and others; "Now and Then," a special look at the Blists Hill Victorian Museum where the episode was filmed; a historical segment from "Blue Peter" on the Ironbridge Gorge; a clip of Baker and Bryant on "Saturday Superstore"; plus deleted and extended scenes, a photo gallery, isolated music score as well as alternate music score for part one, and PDF copies of the 1985 Doctor Who Annual as well as clips from Radio Times.
Old 06-19-06, 07:20 PM
DVD Talk Legend

From the current Doctor Who Monthly (meaning Region 2 Releases):

The Sontaran Experiment for October (Cheaper release with Limited extras)

The Invasion for November (with Animated missing episodes) - there's some lovely pics from the animation in the magazine!

The Return of the Master boxset for January (I'm thinking this is going to comprise of The Keeper of Traken, Logopolis and Castrovalva. Extras will probably include the commentaries Anthony Ainley did before he passed away.

Also they've announced that there will continue to be 6 "extras-packed" releases a year but also interspersed with some additional stories with limited extras

Oh and the series 2 boxset will have a lenticular cover and will feature some specially created CGI monster out-takes...
Old 06-21-06, 02:24 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Doctor Who - The Complete Series 2. Limited Edition Cyberman Head Box Set with Unique Lenticular Postcard (Exclusive to Amazon.co.uk)

Old 06-21-06, 04:34 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I'm thrilled about the release of Invasion and the animated missing episodes! It's one of my favorite 2nd Doctor stories and the animation looks great, I hope they do this to all the lost stories in time.

there's a trailer for the animated episodes on the BBC site...

http://www.bbc.co.uk/doctorwho/news/...20/33077.shtml
Old 06-21-06, 11:43 AM
DVD Talk Legend

That is bad freakin' ass! What a great way to bring these missing episodes back to life.
Old 06-21-06, 01:02 PM
DVD Talk Legend

From TVShowsonDVD.com

Doctor Who Series 1 on PSP!
Old 06-21-06, 04:11 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I'm definately there for The Invasion, and the Master box set.

Makes sense that Sontaran Experiment would be fairly bare-bones, being only two episodes. I suspect Black Orchid and The Awakening will get a similar treatment.
Old 06-21-06, 04:12 PM
Dai

I'm there for all the releases!!!

Don't think we'll get the Cyberman box though (too bad) as it's an Amazon exclusive.
Old 06-21-06, 05:42 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I just wish they'd release a Trial of the Time Lord season box set. I know The Valeyard would be for it.
Old 06-21-06, 11:29 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Kevin M. Dean
I just wish they'd release a Trial of the Time Lord season box set. I know The Valeyard would be for it.

I'd be waiting outside the Warner Home Entertainment distribution warehouse right before release day!

A cosmos without The Trial of a Time Lord box set scarcely bares thinking about!
Old 06-22-06, 03:19 PM

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by turborobb
I'm thrilled about the release of Invasion and the animated missing episodes! It's one of my favorite 2nd Doctor stories and the animation looks great, I hope they do this to all the lost stories in time.
Yeah, my jaw dropped when I read this on their website. Very nice!

And I agree that I hope they do this for more stories in the future.
Old 07-02-06, 11:28 PM
DVD Talk Legend

R1 News: The Hand of Fear & The Mark of the Rani - 11/7

From TVShowsonDVD:

Doctor Who - 2 November Classic Who DVDs, Plus The Invasion's Missing Episodes Get Re-Created!
Posted by David Lambert
7/02/2006

November 7th will see the release of Doctor Who - Story #087: The Hand of Fear and Doctor Who - Story #140: The Mark of the Rani. Each item should be a single-disc release going for $24.98 SRP. Here are some basics:

Doctor Who - Story #087: The Hand of Fear stars Tom Baker as the 4th Doctor. This is a 4-part storyline from 1976. A freak accident traps the Doctor's companion Sarah Jane under tons of rock. After a miraculous survival, she is found frantically clinging to a large stone hand, and the Doctor senses a sinister power at work. Is this the end of the ride for Sarah Jane? Look for extras to include a commentary track by cast and crew (including Tom Baker and Elisabeth Sladen), a vintage interview on Swap Shop with Baker and Sladen, a featurette about Sarah Jane called "Changing Time", a Photo Gallery, Production Text Commentary, and lots more!

Doctor Who - Story #140: The Mark of the Rani stars Colin Baker as the 6th Doctor. This is a 2-part story from 1985. The Master has somehow returned, and is trying to re-write Earth history once more. But the Doctor must also face The Rani, and evil Time Lady who is also up to no good during the period of Earth's industrial revolution! Look for commentary tracks (Colin Baker participates, among others), a "Lords and Luddites" featurette, Deleted & Extended Scenes, a Blue Peter excerpt featuring Doctor Who material, a Photo Gallery, a Production Text Commentary, DVD-ROM material, and an Isolated Music Score, and a short interview with the composer of the final music track that was used for this storyline. What's more, the first episode has an alternate music track available as well. It was created by John Lewis, who was better known popularly as the singer "M" from the hit song from the '80s, "Pop Muzik". Lewis passed away during the production of this episode and couldn't finish the score, so Jonathan Gibbs started all over. But the full score from episode one is available here to listen to for the first time ever!

As if the two November releases aren't enough, word has come out from the BBC a couple of weeks ago that Doctor Who - Story #046: The Invasion IS in the works for DVD. That's surprising because this 8-episode storyline is suffering from two of the episodes being missing! According to the BBC story linked just above, and confirmed by the press release from Cosgrove Hall (yes, the Danger Mouse folks!), the two missing episodes will be re-constructed via animation! Yes, Patrick Troughton as the 2nd Doctor will be animated in loving detail, as Cosgrove Hall uses the original shooting script to re-create the visuals, and syncs it to the original audio soundtrack. That soundtrack had been restored by Mark Ayres of the Restoration Team for use with a BBC Audiobooks release of the remaining recordings, and that's the only connection that the RT has with the animation project. They did, of course, do restoration work on the six original live-action episodes of The Invasion, and they are also doing their usual DVD extras for this release as well. But the animation is all in Cosgrove Hall's hands, and it wasn't originally meant for DVD release. James Goss at BBC Online had commissioned the animated episodes for what the RT's Steve Roberts calls "an online project that never happened". So they were re-purposed for this DVD release, which is planned for release in the UK first (naturally) and then for later in North America. Stay tuned and we'll have a release date for that, plus artwork, as soon as they become available!
Old 07-03-06, 06:40 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
The animation idea sounds very cool. I hope it's something they can use for other early Doctor releases.
Old 07-06-06, 04:02 PM
DVD Talk Legend

R2 News: The Invasion Cover

Cover for the upcoming Invasion DVD

Old 07-06-06, 05:28 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by Chew
The animation idea sounds very cool. I hope it's something they can use for other early Doctor releases.
Me, too. If so, I can't wait to see the animated version of The Feast of Steven. It seems like it would work better as a cartoon than it probably did as live action.

Last edited by evenswr; 07-06-06 at 05:31 PM.
Old 07-06-06, 11:05 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1,401 Likes on 1,026 Posts
Trying to avoid any spoilers here in this thread (guess we get a new Doctor next season ), but I'm enjoying the stuff playing on Sci Fi now (I've got a few episodes to go on my DVR, I just watched Boomtown).

What would be a good R1 "classic" story DVD to pickup that I might like it?

tks
Old 07-07-06, 01:36 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

milo bloom: After watching the new series last year, I began seeking out the classic Who episodes. My goal was to watch all of the Doctors' first episodes, last episodes and all that were available on DVD. That's a hell of a lot of Who! Some were very good, some sucked, but it gave me a good overview of the ways things were--beyond my feeble memories watching when I was a kid.

At any rate, here are my recommendations those eps that are available on R1 DVD, one for each Doctor. Keep in mind that some may consider others to be more worthy, but these are the ones that I liked the best--as a casual Who fan and one that loved the new first series with Eccleston. If I had to pick one, I'd say get Earthshock.
  • The Dalek Invasion of Earth w/ William Hartnell (1st Doctor)
  • The Tomb of the Cybermen w/ Patrick Troughton (2nd)
  • Spearhead from Space w/ Jon Pertwee (3rd)
  • The Pirate Planet w/ Tom Baker (4th)
  • Earthshock w/ Peter Davison (5th)
  • Revelation of the Daleks w/ Colin Baker (6th)
  • Remembrance of the Daleks w/ Sylvester McCoy (7th)

Last edited by DVDude!; 07-07-06 at 01:38 AM.
Old 07-07-06, 05:01 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by milo bloom
What would be a good R1 "classic" story DVD to pickup that I might like?
That depends on what you like. As you may or may not know, Doctor Who started out in 1963 in black-and-white. Be aware of that if you're considering any of the Hartnell or Troughton discs (The R1's say which doctor it is along the bottom of the front cover). If you're into old black-and whites, you can't go wrong with The Dalek Invasion of Earth or The Tomb of the Cybermen. Probably best to avoid Lost in Time or The Beginning until you get rolling. The third doctor, Jon Pertwee, is not everyone's cup of tea. He wore frilly shirts and was generally a condescending Doctor to his companion (usually the adorable Jo Grant). I love the Pertwee episodes, however, and would recommend The Three Doctors, Carnival of Monsters or The Green Death. The fourth Doctor, Tom Baker, achieved the greatest success here in America, and I can wholeheartedly recommend nearly every Tom Baker disc you can get your hands on. I'd start with Pyramids of Mars or The Ark In Space or Genesis of the Daleks or The Talons of Weng-Chiang or The Robots of Death . The only Tom Baker disc I'd really avoid would be The Leisure Hive. The fifth Doctor, Peter Davison, was (for me, at least) a bit of a let-down after Tom Baker's Doctor, but I'd still recommend Earthshock along with DVDude. I also enjoy The Five Doctors, but you'd probably want to get acquainted with Doctor Who a bit before jumping in on that one. The Caves of Androzani is another good fifth Doctor story. I would avoid anything by Colin Baker or Sylvester McCoy, but that's just my personal opinion.

Last edited by evenswr; 07-07-06 at 05:04 AM.
Old 07-07-06, 10:15 AM

Originally Posted by milo bloom
Trying to avoid any spoilers here in this thread (guess we get a new Doctor next season ), but I'm enjoying the stuff playing on Sci Fi now (I've got a few episodes to go on my DVR, I just watched Boomtown).

What would be a good R1 "classic" story DVD to pickup that I might like it?

tks

I love the new series, too. Christopher Eccleston is now my 2nd favorite actor to play The Doctor (behind Tom Baker). For that reason, I'd recommend you try a Tom Baker episode to begin with. Of the ones available on R1 dvd right now, I'd recommend PYRAMIDS OF MARS first. If you like that, I'd recommend the other Tom Baker episodes (listed in order of my personal preference):

HORROR OF FANG ROCK
ROBOTS OF DEATH
ARK IN SPACE
CITY OF DEATH
TALONS OF WENG CHIANG
GENESIS OF THE DALEKS
THE KEY TO TIME SAGA (RIBOS OPERATION, PIRATE PLANET, STONES OF BLOOD, ANDROIDS OF TARA, POWER OF KROLL, ARMAGEDDON FACTOR)

I don't care much for Tom Baker's last season (different producer changed the feel of the show) so I wouldn't recommend LEISURE HIVE but that's just my personal preference.

After the Tom Baker episodes, I would also recommend the Jon Pertwee episode THE THREE DOCTORS. If you like this one, then I'd also recommend the Colin Baker episode THE TWO DOCTORS.

Mike
Old 07-07-06, 12:29 PM

Received 122 Likes on 84 Posts
This may put a smile on some faces:

http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg...ers/-/dvd/all/

Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.