Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > DVD Talk
Reload this Page >

The One & Only DOCTOR WHO DVD Thread (8th Incarnation)

DVD Talk Talk about DVDs and Movies on DVD including Covers and Cases

The One & Only DOCTOR WHO DVD Thread (8th Incarnation)

Old 03-09-11, 10:23 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Re: The One & Only DOCTOR WHO DVD Thread (8th Incarnation)

I personally thought Seeds of Doom was an excellent Six Parter, the Antarctic segment felt more like a prelude for the rest, and the pace I thought was excellent. Most six-parters feel too long, this one felt just right.

I am not sure what DVDTalk's policy about posting external reviews are, but here is my review of the new disc.

http://eurocultav.com/Reviews/Doctor...eds_of_do.html
Old 03-09-11, 04:25 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Sorry if this has been discussed before, but is the Rowan Atkinson Doctor Who episode available in R1 DVD? I saw that it's available for download on iTunes UK---can US residents download from there?
Old 03-09-11, 11:09 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 82 Likes on 49 Posts

Not sure about the US being able to download UK iTunes stuff but I can definitely say The Curse of Fatal Death is not available on DVD (neither R1 or R2). It's debatable if we'll ever see this one on DVD as everyone involved in the special did so without pay for the Red Nose Day charity telethon. It was available on VHS back in 2000 with proceeds going to Comic Relief so it's possible the same sort of deal could be made for DVD. For now however, there are no plans for a DVD release.

Originally Posted by Tim Tucker
However, 2 episodes + 4 episodes was the common formatting of the Tom Baker six-parters. In "Weng-Chiang", there were 4 episodes centered around the theater, followed by two in the arch-villian's lair. "The Invasion of Time" had four episodes of the Vardans and two of the Sontarans.

What may be disjointed is that "The Seeds of Doom" is two homages in one. The Antarctic one is "The Thing from Another World", while the English one is "The Quatermass Experiment." While I never had a problem with it, I could understand if some thought that the join between the two wasn't as artfully done as in some other stories. It may also explain why future stories put the two-parter at the end instead of the beginning.
Talons of Weng-Chaing flows as a six-parter to me. It feels like one complete story instead of one long story and a short follow up (or the reversal of a short lead-in followed by a longer story). Invasion of Time is the other end of the spectrum. That one feels like they got to Episode Four and realized they need to fill up two more episodes. "Quick! Put in Sontarans!" Seeds of Doom doesn't come together as bad as that and I do enjoy the overall story. It's more of the middle ground between Talons & Invasion.

Last edited by The Valeyard; 03-09-11 at 11:29 PM.
Old 03-10-11, 06:54 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Thanks for the info, Valeyard.

On a related note, I watched the Baker run of Doctor Who religiously as a kid, and have a few of those episodes on DVD. Not having those cable channels, I had not seen any of the 2005+ series. On a whim, I just picked up the recent Fifth Series dvd set for a good price, and holy cow, this show is fantastic! I'm going to have to backtrack through all the previous 4 seasons.
Old 03-13-11, 09:32 PM

Amazon.co.uk has Series 1-4 on DVD on sale for the deal of the week.

Doctor Who Series 1-4 DVD 43.47 or $60 US/CAD shipped ($15 per season!)
Old 03-14-11, 02:02 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally Posted by milo bloom
Did you know you can use the sort override function in DVDAf to put titles like these in proper order? I use Doctor Who XXX (substituting the story# for xxx) and it puts them in order. See my link below for example, they're not separated, just in the main library.
I did not realize that that was possible. Thank you very much for pointing that out; I was actually looking at my (relatively small) Doctor Who collection on my DVDAf page, depressed that they weren't listed in the order of the serials. That also lets me fix a few other listings of mine that bug me, too.

And thank you Valeyard for mentioning Mike's Comics. I definitely plan on ordering some stuff when I get some extra funds...
Old 03-14-11, 08:03 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Isny

Thanks, Isny!
Old 03-14-11, 11:33 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1,430 Likes on 1,044 Posts

Originally Posted by MTRodaba2468
I did not realize that that was possible. Thank you very much for pointing that out; I was actually looking at my (relatively small) Doctor Who collection on my DVDAf page, depressed that they weren't listed in the order of the serials. That also lets me fix a few other listings of mine that bug me, too.
I used to be fairly active in the DVDAf forums, and we really got into a lot of the little tweaks like that. I use it to put all kinds of things in the "proper" order, like the Star Wars films, all the Star Trek series/films, even something like the Evil Dead trilogy (though of course people still will see it on my shelf and wonder why Army of Darkness is in the "E's".)

Hmm, was looking at your FB profile. I grew up near where you live, and we actually have a mutual friend on FB!
Old 03-14-11, 02:19 PM
sb5
DVD Talk Special Edition

Do the Region 1 Season sets ever go on sale? I usually avoid buying non-Region 1 if the releases between regions are the same as far as content/AV quality is concerned, but I might get this, since I've never seen the R1 sets at reasonable prices.
Old 03-14-11, 03:44 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by sb5
Do the Region 1 Season sets ever go on sale?
Not at this price. Here, it's still very much a niche show. In the UK, it's a ratings blockbuster, so they can afford offering discounts by selling in much higher volume.
Old 03-14-11, 05:10 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by MTRodaba2468
And thank you Valeyard for mentioning Mike's Comics. I definitely plan on ordering some stuff when I get some extra funds...

Anytime.
Old 03-18-11, 10:57 AM

Originally Posted by Preterite
Not at this price. Here, it's still very much a niche show. In the UK, it's a ratings blockbuster, so they can afford offering discounts by selling in much higher volume.
That's one of the reasons I collect both versions of the show (new and classic) on R2 instead of R1. Much easier on the wallet, even after currency exchange, foreign postage and all!

The other reason being I have a multi-system TV and DVD/BluRay equipment (so, the R2s would be better picture quality for me anyway).
Old 03-21-11, 09:02 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Thanks again for that tip. Just got it in the mail--what a great box set. Saved me over $100 if I had bought the Region 1 sets individually.
Old 03-21-11, 11:49 PM

Originally Posted by Ky-Fi
Thanks again for that tip. Just got it in the mail--what a great box set. Saved me over $100 if I had bought the Region 1 sets individually.
No problem. Glad someone was able to benefit from it =)

Now allons-y Alonzo and get watching!
Old 03-22-11, 02:55 AM
sb5
DVD Talk Special Edition

Yeah, I ended up ordering it as well. Thanks, Isny.
Old 03-23-11, 11:31 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally Posted by TVShowsOnDVD
From 1982 to 1984 Peter Davison was the 5th Doctor, entertaining viewers of the original series with 20 different story arcs over the course of three series ("seasons"). When Doctor Who DVDs were first released in North America (on 9/11 day), a Davison-era tale was included among those three titles: Story #130: The Five Doctors. Since then, eighteen other 5th Doctor stories have either come to Region 1, or else been scheduled for release in the near future. And by mid-year we'll have the last of Davison's twenty classical contributions: today the BBC and distributor Warner Home Video have announced that on July 12th they will make available the only unreleased-on-DVD story from Davison's run on the program: Doctor Who - Story #132: The Awakening.

This story, which features companion Tegan (Janet Fielding) being taken back by the Doctor to meet her own grandfather (and discovering an alien war machine called The Malus on 1984 Earth along the way), is actually a very short one that consists of just 50 minutes overall, split among 2 episodes. Bonus material start with the usual sort, with Audio Commentary by Cast and Crew, a Behind-the-Scenes documentary, a "Now and Then" featurette (comparing locations used for shooting at the time of production to how they look today), and the usual Subtitle Notes, PDF material and so forth. You will also be able to find a Deleted Scene from this episode, cut from the original broadcast for timing reasons, featuring the Doctor's most unusual companion ever: the shape-changing android Kamelion. The metal man was first seen in Story #129: The King's Demons, and then next seen for his exit in Story #135: Planet of Fire. This deleted scene (which includes Tegan, and was previously on DVD in a featurette on The King's Demons) would have given viewers insight into where Kamelion had been in between his two primary stories: hiding in the depths of the TARDIS! You'll be able to see it on this disc which features the episode this scene was shot for.

Pricing for Doctor Who - Story #132: The Awakening is just $14.98 SRP, and package art for this title is shown below. By now you might be asking yourself, "hey...what about the OTHER classic Who title for July?" After all, the BBC's 2011 DVD release schedule for North America has announced TWO classic Doctor Who offerings each and every month up through June. So, isn't July going to be a pair of titles as well? Sorry, no, it doesn't appear so at this time. As of this writing, BBC/Warner is only listing a single classic Who DVD on their July schedule, even though we know that other titles (such as the 7th Doctor's Story #149: Paradise Towers) are in production for future release. Just not in the seventh month, apparently. Hmmm, just guessing here, but does that mean that July could possibly see a DVD (and Blu-ray!) release of the 11th Doctor (Matt Smith) in Doctor Who - The 6th Series, Part 1, to tide fans over before the September broadcast debut of the "back half" of the sixth season?

In case you have missed the announcement, the current Doctor Who program has annoyingly joined the ranks of shows which will air the season's first half, do a "mid-season finale" and take a months-long break, then air the rest later on (gosh, what an irritating trend this has become in recent years, right?). Over here, we are making the assumption that - like other shows which broadcast in split-seasons - the home video releases will also be split up the same way as the broadcasts are (and probably with a "Complete Series 6" set also available later on). So perhaps a single-classic-title schedule for July is our clue that a "6th Series, Part 1" home video release might be timed for that particular month. Again this idea about a possible DVD release of the first half in July is just speculation, though, and it currently has no basis in fact. Stay tuned, however, and we'll keep an eye on it and let you know!
LINK
Old 03-23-11, 04:33 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

This morning we reported about the announcement through the BBC's North American DVD distributor, Warner Home Video, that the 5th Doctor (Peter Davison) tale Doctor Who - Story #132: The Awakening is coming home in the USA and Canada this July. We pointed out that all 2011 DVD announcements through June had so far consisted of a PAIR of classic Who titles, and speculated on what might be happening instead. Well, you can toss our guesses out - at least for now - because the BBC America online shop has separately revealed that The Awakening IS going to be paired with another classic title: the 1st Doctor (William Hartnell) tale Doctor Who - Story #025: The Gunfighters.

This 4-episode (approx. 95 minutes) arc, which was first transmitted in 1966, brings the Doctor and companions Steven Taylor (Peter Purves) and Dodo Chaplet (Jackie Lane) to 1881 Tombstone, Arizona.The Doctor seeks out the town dentist for his nagging toothache, and it turns out to be none other than Doc Holliday, during the events which lead up to Holliday's involvement with the Earps in the infamous Gunfight at the O.K. Corral, against the Clantons. This item will be delivered on a single-disc release, costing $24.98 SRP. Extras include Audio Commentary, "The End of the Line" featurette, "Tomorrow's Times" featurette, a Photo Gallery, PDF materials (Radio Times Listings), and a Production Notes Subtitle Option. A small look at the box art is shown below.

From here, the information provided by the BBC America team seems to divert a bit from what Warner Home Video provided this morning. WHV said that the release date for The Awakening would be July 12th, and since - in 2011, anyway! - all the classic Doctor Who titles are usually streeted on the second Tuesday of a given month, that is the date which makes the most sense here. However, the BBC America-provided info says that both The Gunfighters and The Awakening will be instead available starting from July 5th. For now, we're going to stick with the 12th ("second Tuesday of the month") until/unless we hear otherwise.

The BBC America info does give us additional details of the bonus material for The Awakening, too! The full list of extras for that 5th Doctor title will consist of Audio Commentary, "Return to Little Hodcombe" featurette, "Making the Malus" featurette, "Now and Then" featurette, Extended and Deleted Scenes (including, we presume, the previously-reported scene with Kamelion), "The Golden Egg Awards", an 8-minute Photo Gallery, PDF materials (Radio Times Listings), and a Production Notes Subtitle Option. Both The Awakening and The Gunfighters are presented in full screen video, with English mono sound and English subtitles.
LINK
Old 03-30-11, 06:06 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Doctor Who - The 7th Doctor 'Story #149: Paradise Towers' Announced for DVD

A week ago we reported that July 12th will see the DVD release of the classic 5th Doctor (Peter Davison) story Doctor Who - Story #132: The Awakening for USA/Canada. At first we thought it was by itself for the month, when all 2011-long the BBC and Warner Home Video had been scheduling classic Who DVD releases in pairs. Later that day we passed along word that it wasn't alone for July after all; the BBC (with Warner) would also be releasing the 1st Doctor (William Hartnell) tale Doctor Who - Story #025: The Gunfighters on DVD that same day.

That later-in-the-day info last week knocked out our original theory, that the "companion" (heh, heh...a bit of DW humor there!) title for the month of July could possibly be Matt Smith in Doctor Who - The 6th Series, Part 1, reflecting the split-season broadcast status of the new episodes that debut at BBC America on April 23rd (have you seen the new BBC One trailer made available today for the debut episode, "The Impossible Astronaut"?). MAYBE (that's a big "maybe"), however, our theory about that might be back in place for August (closer to the September broadcast debut for the "back half" of the sixth season).

Doctor Who - Story #149: Paradise TowersWhy? Because today BBC/Warner has announced exactly ONE classic DW DVD title for North American release in the month of August. August 9th, to be precise...and this time it's a long-awaited 7th Doctor (Sylvester McCoy) tale: Doctor Who - Story #149: Paradise Towers. The thumbnail- sized early box art (subject to change) is on the right, and here are all the available details (including an early list of extras which may also be subject to change, a portion of that list is courtesy of our friends at DoctorWhoNews.net).

# Doctor Who - Story #149: Paradise Towers (Sylvester McCoy as the 7th Doctor)

1 disc, approx. 98 minutes, 4 episodes, full frame video, English mono audio, English subtitles, $24.98 SRP

According to the sales brochure, Paradise Towers is a utopian blueprint for community living, with its fabulous architecture and state-of-the-art facilities. The perfect place for Mel to take a leisurely swim, in fact. But when the TARDIS arrives, the Doctor and his companion discover that the futuristic tower block has fallen into ruin, and a series of unexplained disappearances have the tenants living in fear. As gangs of teenage girls run wild in the hallways, a squad of bureaucratic Caretakers struggle to regain control. To keep the citizens of Paradise Towers safe, the Doctor must confront the resident evil lurking in the basement.

Extras:
o Audio Commentary with Judy Cornwall ("Maddy"), Stephen Wyatt (writer), Mark Ayres (composer), and Dick Mills (sound effects)
o Choice of the "As-Aired" Score (by Keff McCulloch) or the Rejected Score which it replaced (by David Snell)
o Featurette: Girls, Girls, Girls: 1980's
o Featurette: Horror of the High-Rise
o Featurette: Jigsaw
o PDF materials: Radio Times Listings
o Production Notes Subtitle Option

Of course, we could most certainly be wrong (again) about a "Series 6, Part 1" Matt Smith release happening. It's just my own personal theory, at least for now...that's all. It just makes sense to expect it, though!

Speaking of Matt Smith, a pre-Doctor Who role he had is also coming to DVD in North America soon: if you missed yesterday's news about a BBC show he was in called Party Animals (described as "a political drama"), then you may want to check it out!
Old 04-01-11, 12:43 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Doctor Who: The Gunfighters (July 12th)
Spoiler:

Doctor Who: The Awakening (July 12th)
Spoiler:

Doctor Who: Paradise Towers (August 9th)
Spoiler:

LINK
Old 04-02-11, 01:00 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Wow. That Paradise Towers cover is pretty dreadful.

Series 6, Part 1 news from Region 2. Region 1 should be announced shortly.

http://www.doctorwhonews.net/2011/04...-1-uk-dvd.html

Series 6 - Part 1: UK DVD release

The box set for Part One of Series Six (Episodes 1-7) has been made available to pre-order via online shops.

The series hasn't even began yet but the 2-disc box set for the first part of Series 6 is already available to pre-order. A description of the new series has been posted with the item including a draft version the cover art.

Series 6: Part 1
Release Date: 11th July 2011
RRP: 24.99

Starring Matt Smith as the Doctor, with Karen Gillan as Amy Pond and Arthur Darvill as Rory Williams
Written by Steven Moffat (episodes 1,2 & 7), Steve Thompson (3), Neil Gaiman (4) and Matthew Graham (5 & 6)
Directed by Toby Haynes (episodes 1 & 2), Jeremy Webb (3), Richard Clark (4), Julian Simpson (5 & 6) and Peter Hoar (7)
Spoiler:

The Doctor returns, alongside newly weds Amy and Rory, to face monsters and mysteries and adventures all across time and space, in a thrilling new series of Doctor Who. Together they'll find themselves in sixties America, battling the invasion the world forgot, then journey on the high seas of 1696 aboard a pirate ship, to solve the mystery of the Siren.

In a bubble universe at the very edge of reality, the Doctor will meet an old friend with a new face, and in a monastery on a remote island in the near future, an industrial accident will take on a terrible human shape. And waiting for them, at the end of all this, is the battle of Demon's Run, and the Doctor's darkest hour. Can even the truth about River Song save the Time Lord's soul?

Only two things are certain. Silence will fall. And a good man is going to die...
Old 04-02-11, 06:38 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 2,825 Likes on 1,943 Posts

Originally Posted by The Valeyard
Wow. That Paradise Towers cover is pretty dreadful.
The episode was rather dreadful, too. Or I might be confusing it with "The Happiness Patrol" or "The Twin Dilemma." The CBaker/McCoy era is kind of big jumble to me, and all I can really remember is that good stories were few and between.
Old 04-03-11, 03:03 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Do we know yet whether "The Christmas Carol" will be included in any of the Season 6 boxsets?
Old 04-03-11, 05:48 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally Posted by Disc-Flipper
Do we know yet whether "The Christmas Carol" will be included in any of the Season 6 boxsets?
It will be included in the "Complete" Season 6 set, although not all the extras from the stand-alone release will be included.
Old 04-03-11, 06:00 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Thanks to the Barnes & Noble 50% Off Coupon I've put a decent dent in my Doctor Who Collection. Still have a ways to go, but I'm definitely making headway:

Spoiler:
Doctor Who: The Beginning
Doctor Who: The Keys Of Marinus
Doctor Who: The Aztecs
Doctor Who: The Dalek Invasion Of Earth
Doctor Who: The Rescue / The Romans
Doctor Who: The Web Planet
Doctor Who: Lost In Time, The William Hartnell Years
Doctor Who: The Space Museum / The Chase
Doctor Who: The Time Meddler
Doctor Who: The War Machines
Doctor Who: Lost In Time, The Patrick Troughton Years
Doctor Who: The Tomb Of The Cybermen
Doctor Who: The Mind Robber
Doctor Who: The Invasion
Doctor Who: The Seeds Of Death
Doctor Who: The War Games
Doctor Who: Spearhead From Space
Doctor Who: Doctor Who And The Silurians
Doctor Who: Inferno
Doctor Who: The Claws Of Axos
Doctor Who: The Sea Devils
Doctor Who: The Three Doctors
Doctor Who: Carnival Of Monsters
Doctor Who: Dalek War
Doctor Who: The Green Death
Doctor Who: Robot
Doctor Who: The Ark In Space
Doctor Who: The Sontaran Experiment
Doctor Who: Genesis Of The Daleks
Doctor Who: The Hand Of Fear
Doctor Who: The Robots Of Death
Doctor Who: The Talons Of Weng Chiang
Doctor Who: Horror Of Fang Rock
Doctor Who: Image Of The Fendahl
Doctor Who: The Creature From The Pit
Doctor Who: The Leisure Hive
Doctor Who: The E-Space Trilogy
Doctor Who: The Visitation
Doctor Who: Black Orchid
Doctor Who: Earthshock
Doctor Who: The Black Guardian Trilogy
Doctor Who: The King's Demons
Doctor Who: Warriors Of The Deep
Doctor Who: Resurrection Of The Daleks
Doctor Who: The Caves Of Androzani
Doctor Who: Vengeance On Varos
Doctor Who: The Mark Of The Rani
Doctor Who: The Two Doctors
Doctor Who: Revelation Of The Daleks
Doctor Who: The Trial Of A Time Lord
Doctor Who: Ghost Light
Doctor Who: The Curse Of Fenric
Doctor Who: Survival
Doctor Who: The Movie
Doctor Who: The Complete First Series
Doctor Who: The Complete Second Series
Doctor Who: The Complete Third Series
Doctor Who: The Complete Fourth Series
Doctor Who: The Complete Specials
Doctor Who: The Complete Fifth Series
Doctor Who: The Infinite Quest
Doctor Who: Dreamland

Auton
Auton 2: Sentinel
Auton 3: Awakening
Zygon
Old 04-03-11, 08:49 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Did you buy those all at once?

Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.