Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > DVD Talk
Reload this Page >

The One & Only DOCTOR WHO DVD Thread (8th Incarnation)

DVD Talk Talk about DVDs and Movies on DVD including Covers and Cases

The One & Only DOCTOR WHO DVD Thread (8th Incarnation)

Old 12-06-12, 04:43 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1,402 Likes on 1,027 Posts
Re: The One & Only DOCTOR WHO DVD Thread (8th Incarnation)

Could they be taking out the Marco Polo story in advance of an animated restoration?
Old 12-06-12, 04:48 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 82 Likes on 49 Posts

I doubt it. If that were the case, they would have pulled the Region 2 copies as well. Probably before the Region 1 editions. Right now, you can buy the UK version for £9.99.

The shortage seems US-centric.
Old 12-07-12, 09:37 AM

Received 77 Likes on 59 Posts

I was hoping that they would just rerelease the set in a single 3 disc case like they did for the E-Space trilogy, just to save space on the shelf.
Old 12-17-12, 04:02 PM
DVD Talk Legend

SE's of The Aztecs and The Ark in Space

http://www.tvshowsondvd.com/news/Doc...nSpaceSE/17862

I hope they're using all this phat loot they're getting from these double dips to fund animation of the lost episodes.
Old 12-17-12, 08:16 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

It brings my piss to a boil that Galaxy 4 is only going to be included on the special edition release of The Aztecs. I'd consider buying those lost episode audio collections, but with Reign Of Terror and now Galaxy 4 getting releases and a rumored release of The Tenth Planet I wonder just how many of those lost episodes will have a DVD form. Any guess? I think The Moonbase and something else have a release on the Lost In Time DVD set, albeit it's video for some episodes and just the audio for others.
Old 12-17-12, 08:20 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 2,720 Likes on 1,877 Posts

Originally Posted by milo bloom
I hope they're using all this phat loot they're getting from these double dips to fund animation of the lost episodes.
Old 12-17-12, 08:32 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally Posted by milo bloom
SE's of The Aztecs and The Ark in Space

http://www.tvshowsondvd.com/news/Doc...nSpaceSE/17862

Well, it was a matter of time before they double-dipped one I happened to own (The Ark In Space)...
Old 12-17-12, 11:04 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 2,720 Likes on 1,877 Posts

Originally Posted by MTRodaba2468
Well, it was a matter of time before they double-dipped one I happened to own (The Ark In Space)...
I was sort of hoping that once they DVDed the whole series that they would release less pricey complete season sets -- at least for Pertwee through McCoy.

Looks like they're just going to re-release everything as special editions instead.
Old 12-18-12, 10:20 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Yeah, I've made a sizable investment into the current DVDs, but it'd still be worth it to rebuy as season sets.
Old 12-18-12, 02:38 PM

Geez. I just ordered the existing Aztec dvd yesterday. I guess I need to decide if I want to return it and order the new disc or just keep it.
Old 12-19-12, 02:00 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Doctor Who Spin-off news: The complete Series 1 for K9 will be released on DVD (Region 1) in Spring 2013. It's US premiere is on Christmas Day on SyFy.

Old 12-20-12, 11:26 AM

Originally Posted by The Valeyard
The stories in the Beginnings box set were released separately on the same day (An Unearthly Child & The Daleks/Edge of Destruction). An Unearthly Child is going for an insane amount of money right now.

Maybe they're gearing up for a re-release for the 50th Anniversary next year?
As Valeyard has said, if there were going to be some sort of re-tooling/re-release, it would have already been announced for the UK first, so it's definitely not that.

Maybe, as someone else suggested, it may be sold out and in need of a re-press. I doubt they'd repackage it into a single amaray, because a certain segment of fandom would get up in arms if each individual story didn't come in its own individual case.

If there were any sort of repackaging (i.e. for the anniversary), I'd say it would be nothing more than a new cardboard outer slipcase. I'm sure everything else (interior cases/art, discs themselves) would be the same.

So, The Beginning getting hard to find in R1, eh? Kinda makes me wish I hadn't already sold my R1 copy a few years back when I jumped ship to collect the R2 releases instead!
Old 12-20-12, 12:06 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Some R2 (and eventual R1) news:

The Ark in Space (Special Edition):

Additional extras have now been classified by the BBFC for the release of The Ark in Space:
00:27:34:20 DR. FOREVER! - NOT AS SEEN ON BBC TV - LOVE AND WAR
00:07:33:05 (SCENE AROUND SIX)
00:00:34:14 (EASTER EGG)
00:01:08:23 (ROBOT 8MM LOCATION FILM)

Scene Around Six is a presentation of the Northern Ireland film footage of Tom Baker visiting a school which was recently found and broadcast last year as part of Those Were The Days. Doctor Forever is the first of a five-part series by James Goss, taking a look at Doctor Who in different media.

The Region One details also report the inclusion of The Doctor Who Technical Manual as a PDF, plus tie-in promotional materials for Crosse & Blackwell, and Nestlé.

The Green Death (Special Edition):

During a DVD range discussion at last weekend's Midnight convention it was revealed that the fifth Special Edition DVD release for 2013 will be the Third Doctor story The Green Death. Originally released on a single disc, the revisited two-disc edition will enable the story to be presented in higher quality than before, and will include a full-length documentary by Chris Chapman. Revised production notes will be provided by Richard Bignell.

As a bonus, the DVD will also include the reunion of Josephine Jones née Grant with the Doctor in The Sarah Jane Adventures story Death of the Doctor, which includes a commentary with the writer Russell T Davies and Jo herself, Katy Manning.

Terror of the Zygons:

The latest edition of Doctor Who Magazine confirms that Terror of the Zygons will have a production-oriented commentary, featuring Robert Banks Stewart (writer), Philip Hinchcliffe (producer), George Gallacio (production unit manager), Sylvia James (make-up), and Dick Mills (special sound), presided over by audio restoration producer Mark Ayres.

The Tenth Planet / The Ice Warriors:

Talking to Radio Free Skaro earlier in the year about The Tenth Planet and The Ice Warriors, Steve Roberts said: "I don't think that either of those are actually into animation production at the moment, but certainly we have transferred the existing episodes of both of those stories and will be restoring them fully, with the expectation that there will be animations, presumably, to intertwine."

The classification of the trailer for The Ice Warriors earlier this month certainly indicates that this story looks likely to be released next year. Whether this will feature animated versions of the missing episodes two and three has yet to be announced, but both it and The Tenth Planet are expected to have their original VHS telesnap reconstructions included in the releases.

It is also hoped that the original Michael Craze introductions recorded for The Tenth Planet will also be included (Steve Roberts noted that the introductions by Carole Ann Ford for The Reign of Terror were excluded from that release due to space limitations on the disc).

Really hope they don't go the reconstruction route for Tenth Planet and Ice Warriors. The animation works so much better than the telesnaps version. But since we got the VHS version of Shada, it's definitely leaning in that direction.
Old 12-20-12, 01:49 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Yeah, definitely would rather see animation. It's practically inexcusable to not take advantage of having all the audio to recreate the full experience.
Old 12-21-12, 07:22 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

So, The Beginning getting hard to find in R1, eh? Kinda makes me wish I hadn't already sold my R1 copy a few years back when I jumped ship to collect the R2 releases instead!
I just sold mine yesterday for 75$! Others are going for 200$ now!!! I'll just wait for new stocks or rereleases and with the profits I'll buy some of the missing DVDs in my collection!

BTW Mike's Comics has a few new sets for sale at 33$: http://www.mikescomics.com/DVD1.html
Old 12-21-12, 07:56 AM

Originally Posted by mythmaker18
I doubt they'd repackage it into a single amaray, because a certain segment of fandom would get up in arms if each individual story didn't come in its own individual case.
The E-Space trilogy has recently been repackaged in a single amaray, so it wouldn't be unheard of. I don't see why it would be a problem in cases where the set it several stories that aired together, but I could see the frustration if a set like Beneath the Surface was complied into a single case.
Old 12-21-12, 09:57 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by flansered
The E-Space trilogy has recently been repackaged in a single amaray, so it wouldn't be unheard of. I don't see why it would be a problem in cases where the set it several stories that aired together, but I could see the frustration if a set like Beneath the Surface was complied into a single case.
Yeah, I found that Beneath the Surface box used a while back and immediately pulled them out and put them in story order on my shelf. I never would have bought something like that new, I would have just bought the individual titles.
Old 12-26-12, 07:55 PM
DVD Talk Legend

I know it's already been reported that the Series 5 & 6 Blu-Rays are on sale for $19.99 at Best Buy but I stopped by today and noticed that 3 classic titles are $9.99 until January 12. The titles are Castrovalva, The Ark and Survival. Survival is a great deal as it's a two-disc set.
Old 12-27-12, 08:22 AM

I picked those up about a month ago. I was hoping that they would eventually put some others on sale, but I don't think that it's going to happen.

But I ordered The Beginning collection from Mike's Comics because they were mentioned in this thread. Very fast too, I ordered it on Friday and it arrived at my workplace yesterday.
Old 01-08-13, 11:05 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

But I ordered The Beginning collection from Mike's Comics
Glad it worked out. They are all out of 'em now. I did order a few things from them over the years and they are always nice and efficient. I recently picked up the two Cushing movies from them for 8.99$ each. Good price considering they are not the DVD-R set that is around these days but the original releases.
Old 01-08-13, 08:06 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

They actually have the OOP Cushing DVDs in stock? I might have to get those if they're the original releases for only $8.99; I'm not really a huge fan of these movies and they're certainly not the Doctor Who I know and love, but I'd like to have them for the novelty factor.
Old 01-08-13, 08:13 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Did they have the 3-disc one in stock? The one that included the Dalekmania disc?
Old 01-08-13, 08:19 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I just checked and didn't see Dalekmania for sale, but you can find the stand-alone release of that one pretty easily I think.
Old 01-09-13, 01:35 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

They did not have the 3 disk set. I'm still waiting for the two individual Cushing ones I ordered (they have been sent to Florida to a friend who then redirects them here for cheaper...) so I can't tell you all the details. But Mike said he had them in stock for a long time and the reprints (DVD-R) have only been available for a short time I think (and as a two-pack). I'll let you know more info once I get them.
Old 01-09-13, 02:11 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 123 Likes on 67 Posts

Originally Posted by The Valeyard
I know it's already been reported that the Series 5 & 6 Blu-Rays are on sale for $19.99 at Best Buy but I stopped by today and noticed that 3 classic titles are $9.99 until January 12. The titles are Castrovalva, The Ark and Survival. Survival is a great deal as it's a two-disc set.
Picked up castravalva in store... Probally gonna get the other two online

Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.