Community
Search
DVD Talk Talk about DVDs and Movies on DVD including Covers and Cases
View Poll Results: Which Sin City will you get?
Theatrical
8.36%
Special Edition
51.64%
Both
40.00%
Voters: 275. You may not vote on this poll

Sin City

Search this Thread

Old 08-17-05, 07:39 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Of course I bought it, but what would you expect? Oh, and does anyone think the CC lithographs may be worth some $$$ in the future? I'm debating wethr or not to open th packaging (weird I know)....
Old 08-17-05, 08:26 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 460 Likes on 373 Posts
Picked up the Willis/Alba cover (which seem to be the scarce one) at Future Shop.
Old 08-17-05, 08:36 AM

Received 122 Likes on 84 Posts
Got this one at CC with the Marv/Goldie cover. I had to hunt around for the lithographs. They didn't really have them on display.
Old 08-17-05, 09:36 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

I pIcked it up at Stawberries, over priced but most conveniant location. It comes to 21 with tax etc. but you do get $7 bucks back in a rebate, and they are giving copies of the movie poster with them too.. so not a terrible deal I think if you're looking for it.

Picked up the Willis/Alba one, it's the only cover I could find.
Old 08-17-05, 09:40 AM
Inane Thread Master, 2018 TOTY

Received 932 Likes on 780 Posts
Originally Posted by Groucho
Got this one at CC with the Marv/Goldie cover. I had to hunt around for the lithographs. They didn't really have them on display.
are the lithographs nice and worth it? how many do you get?
Old 08-17-05, 09:42 AM

Received 122 Likes on 84 Posts
The lithographs are okay. They're a bit bigger than a post card, and contain the images used on the teaser posters that were up before the movie. There are five: Nancy, Marv, Jackie Boy, Hartigan, and Shellie.
Old 08-17-05, 11:40 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally Posted by buckee1
I got mine last night w/clive owen cover
Same here - she is just too fine.

Wish I would have got it at CC though for the lithos, all I got at BB was some crappy comic.
Old 08-17-05, 01:39 PM
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I couldn't wait. Both. Got the Marv cover.

(I double dipped on Hellboy too and now I have both of del Torro's commentary tracks. No telling if this one will have something the SE doesn't.)
Old 08-17-05, 01:52 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
As far as the special edition goes, I think I might just wait until the sequels come out and see if the first movie SE and the Sin City 2 & 3 special editions are released all together in a box set.
Old 08-17-05, 02:36 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 22 Likes on 18 Posts
Personally, I'm going to wait until Robert Rodriguez and Quentin Tarantino are both dead, to see if they release a deluxe retrospective of all their movies with all the bells and whistles. The only problem is that Robert Rodriguez is a little younger than me, but I'm hoping he's living hard enough that I outlive him.
Old 08-17-05, 05:52 PM

I rented this from Blockbuster yesterday because I'm holding out for the special edition. This was a great flick but I was extremely pissed that there was no option for DD 5.1 as I only have a DTS receiver, but no DTS player as of yet. I don't know if this was just a Blockbuster thing or what (maybe someone can confirm this for me), but the special edition better have the option!
Old 08-17-05, 07:26 PM
DVD Talk Hero

I got the Dwight/Gail cover. I'll pick up the Special Edition the same day as the Adaptation SE.
Old 08-17-05, 09:28 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer

Received 16 Likes on 13 Posts
Originally Posted by boss429
This was a great flick but I was extremely pissed that there was no option for DD 5.1 as I only have a DTS receiver, but no DTS player as of yet. I don't know if this was just a Blockbuster thing or what (maybe someone can confirm this for me), but the special edition better have the option!
The dvd has Dolby 5.1, which I used because I don't have a DTS player. I'm not sure if there was a problem with yours, but the retail version has a nice 5.1 Dolby track.
Old 08-17-05, 11:02 PM
js1
Cool New Member

S.E. for me!
Old 08-17-05, 11:39 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Both....lord knows when the SE will be released, using Office Space as an example.
Old 08-18-05, 06:33 AM

Originally Posted by Willh51
The dvd has Dolby 5.1, which I used because I don't have a DTS player. I'm not sure if there was a problem with yours, but the retail version has a nice 5.1 Dolby track.
Thanks Willh51, that's good to know, I thought this movie should of had a DD 5.1 track but when I chose DD option in the setup menu my receiver was only encoding it in 2.0. I know my receiver is functioning properly because I tried one of my other discs and that worked fine... oh well, I guess I just rented a bum copy.
Old 08-18-05, 06:44 AM
DVD Talk Reviewer

Originally Posted by MartinBlank
Both....lord knows when the SE will be released, using Office Space as an example.
It's been widely known that this Special Edition was to be released sometime shortly after the bare bones release, and sources right now, are pointing to about four months from now. The director of this film loves his DVD's and is going to hammer out the special edition when he can. Companies want to make sure movies come out at that four-five month time period after its theatrical release date, so they release the bare bones right away and then release the special editions once they have been finished. Office Space was an older film and they've been working on it when they can, don't forget the creator of this movie has other projects going on as well. But usually special editions for brand spankin' new films get worked on right away, it just takes time to get them done.
Old 08-18-05, 08:55 PM

No matter what RR says I think the SE will come out next year around the time of Sin City 2. I know I won't be waiting over a year to own this on DVD.

Are there any recent examples of a barebones DVD comming out and an SE only 4 months later?

I just don't think the SE will come out as soon as people are hoping.
Old 08-18-05, 09:09 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 214 Likes on 187 Posts
Originally Posted by agent2099
No matter what RR says I think the SE will come out next year around the time of Sin City 2. I know I won't be waiting over a year to own this on DVD.

Are there any recent examples of a barebones DVD comming out and an SE only 4 months later?

Hellboy DC came out 3 months after the TC [we'll it wasn't Barebones but still...] I'll just wait for SIN DC (even if it does come out 'till when SIN 2 comes out), this version that just came out is lame.
Old 08-18-05, 09:24 PM
Retired

The LOTR EE's would be another example of SE's/extended cuts coming out pretty quickly after the barebones/theatrical cuts.

Personally I don't care, as I said above I'm willing to wait indefinitely as with the Kill Bill movies as they're not absolute must haves for me. I want them in my collection, but not so bad that I can't wait to get a satisfactory release.
Old 08-18-05, 09:57 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Originally Posted by agent2099

Man on Fire, Day After Tomorrow, I Robot
Old 08-19-05, 08:02 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

I really don't see that much in the special edition that I would be all that hyped to check out, unless they add a LOT of extra footage (and I don't mean the hour of material where the camera was just left running and you see people walking around chatting). The ability to watch each chapter of the movie seperately isn't even that appealing because they aren't that chopped up in the theatrical version. All it would be is the first part of Yellow Bastard attached to the second part of it right? The other stories are pretty much told straight through. If I wanted to just watch the Big Fat Kill I could just skip to that chapter number on my current disc.
Old 08-19-05, 03:25 PM

I was at best buy today and i couldnt help myself, i bought the marv & goldie cover and got a free comic book. Ill still be buying the SE when it comes out.
Old 08-19-05, 04:01 PM
Retired

Well, the rumors are we'll be able to watch each chapter on it's own with a good bit of added footage to each.

That's why I'm waiting mainly.