View Poll Results: Movie Soundtrack as Bonus with DVD
I like them.
40.00%
I'd rather have more documentaries or other "visual" features for my $$$
40.00%
Don't care either way.
20.00%
Voters: 15. You may not vote on this poll

DVD's with Movie Soundtracks...Yay or Nay?

Old 08-19-05, 05:59 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

DVD's with Movie Soundtracks...Yay or Nay?

A trend that's slowly building over the past year is studios releasing a special or deluxe edition of a film with not only a disc of bonus features but also a cd of the soundtrack or score. (Million Dollar Baby, The Terminal, Mystic River, etc)

What do you guys think of this? Personally I think it's a nice addition, but probably wouldn't be the decision breaker between choosing the "barebones" or "deluxe" edition, unless it's a score I really love.

Last edited by DeanoBKN; 08-19-05 at 06:03 PM.
Old 08-19-05, 06:18 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Nay. They drive up the price of such collector's editions to the point where you spend about the same as you would if you bought the less expensive edition and the CD soundtrack separately. I would much rather have DVD bonus material that won't make the set cost a lot more, and if I want the soundtrack CD, well, I can buy that separately, just as I can with any movie with a soundtrack CD.

I don't mind if they put out the same disc(s) with another edition with the soundtrack like they did with MDB and The Shawshank Redemption so I can still get the extras on the cheaper edition, but I really don't like having to be forced to buy the edition with the soundtrack (with its extra cost because of the CD) just to get any extras at all like with The Terminal or Mystic River.

Another thing is that I like to keep my DVDs and CDs separate. If I bought any of these editions with the soundtrack, I would have to store the soundtrack with the movie. Custom packaging aside, If I just took out the CD and put it with the rest of my CDs, then I'd have a package with the movie taking up more space on the shelf than it needs to.