DVD Talk Talk about DVDs and Movies on DVD including Covers and Cases
View Poll Results: Which Sin City will you get?
Theatrical
8.36%
Special Edition
51.64%
Both
40.00%
Voters: 275. You may not vote on this poll

Sin City

Old 08-14-05, 03:54 PM

Getting this release and will get a SE or whatever is released later on. Will resell the TR when the SE comes out if so.
Old 08-14-05, 04:25 PM

Regarding going the the theaters, I still go once in a while but I do notice
that in some regards even the best movie theaters have been eclipsed on
picture quality by HDTV! Sometimes I dont want to wait 6-12 months for
home video of a release which is too long for something really good, then
I still go. But now even a matinee is $8 where I live. OUCH!
Old 08-14-05, 05:15 PM

From NECA Online

Even the most hardened heroes have to cash out at some point, but it's how they buy it that counts. Our first and final stop today is Death Row at the Basin City correctional facility. If you peek your head in you will see that Marv is strapped in his chair ready to die. Not exactly the happiest thing you could see, but if you look at his face, you know that he wouldn't really have it any other way. In his mind, he's already won anyhow. Pretty much everything you would see there would be something you would never want to forget. NECA/Reel toys realized this, and thus we are making it impossible for you to forget. Enter: Death Row Marv.
A deluxe figure with special action features, this Marv is a step above and beyond anything like it you have ever seen before. Flick the switch and he says the first line, "Get a move on, I haven't got all night!" He gets the juice as he vibrates and shakes, and inside his head his skull lights up with a blue light as the electricity courses into his body. The vibration stops and he says "Is that the best you can do, you pansies?"
Beyond the action features, Marv comes with 3 interchangeable heads of different styles: Regular, Spicy, and Extra Crispy. I'm sorry, it's close to lunchtime for me. He really comes with Regular, Regular w/ skull inside, and Burned (crispy!) heads for after you give him the life ending jolt. After all is said and done, expect to find Death Row Marv in the stores at the end of this year, to coincide with a planned Director's Cut Edition DVD of the Sin City movie. Stay tuned for more pictures on the final piece, including the alternate heads, and some video of the figure in action!
Old 08-15-05, 01:03 PM

I like this movie way too much, so I'll be getting both. I just can't decide what slipcover to get.
Old 08-15-05, 01:09 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

I'm going to wait until I get to the store and see them in person before I decide which cover to get. I'll be going to wal-mart, so hopefully if its got the slipcover it won't have the UPC cut out.
Old 08-15-05, 01:20 PM
DVD Talk Legend

I'll be getting both, for sure. I really want to see the movie again, so I can't wait until the SE comes out, whenever that'll be.
Old 08-15-05, 05:03 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Saw this at IGN:

IGN: Has DVD become a director's new best friend?
Rodriguez: Yeah. I mean, I think it's just the way you can perceive how entertainment is viewed, not just for DVDs but future HD DVDs and all of the extra things you can put on them. When I was doing Sin City, you're just very aware that, okay, there's the theatrical release, which is pretty much a one-shot; people go and see it at the theaters for a couple of weeks and then they forget about that, and then whatever comes out later is a more definitive version.

I told Frank [Miller], let's do three stories. I know it doesn't make a whole lot of sense, but we'll cram three stories together. We'll shoot the full books, but in editing I'll just figure out what stuff we need to cut to make it flow as a feature for the theatrical release so people can sit there and in under two hours see sort of a resemblance what the movie is. But when it goes to DVD, we can do a special edition where the second disc can have the stories separated out in the full cuts so that you can see it the way you would read the books., You just watch "The Yellow Bastard," the full cut, or see "The Big Fat Kill," and that's the way you're supposed to read the books.

You're not supposed to read three really quick, so that's going to be cool. So we shot the full books and all of the voiceover knowing that we could put it together as single episodes, and that eventually if we did part two and part three we'd end up having the discs that had all of the stories separated, and you could put them in any order you want.

IGN: Knowing that there will eventually be multiple versions of a film released on DVD, how do you make sure that your audience is satisfied with each of those iterations?
Rodriguez: Well, usually I just put out one. With this one, they are already putting out one that comes out [August 16] that is just bare bones. I had not put anything extra on that, because I didn't have time to finish my DVD extras. They will put that out four months later because of piracy and stuff like that, and they actually don't put anything on there so that they know, 'well, this isn't the real DVD.'

The real DVD should come out fairly quick, [and] it's the one that will be obviously the double-disc set with all of the goodies on it. I mean, it has all kinds of stuff on there - I have a 20-minute Film School, a new Cooking School, Sin City Breakfast Tacos, and my favorite feature: when people watch DVDs, they complain 'oh, the only thing about home entertainment is you miss that audience experience.' Well, the best audience is in Austin, especially for a movie that was made there. We showed the premiere with the actors there in a 1500-seat theater, and they would go crazy and Sin City got a big reaction. I recorded the audience in 5.1 so if you're watching the DVD and you want to see it with an Austin audience on premiere night, you just click a button and they're all there going 'aaaah!' so it's really cool.

Quentin, when he was directing his sequence, he just let the tape roll when we were shooting, and the sequence taped for an hour, so there are some 20-minute uninterrupted takes. You see him wander in front of the camera and talk to the actors, and [he's] directing and you hear the whole sound of the set. It's like you're sitting right there on the set seeing the movie being shot from the point of view of the camera that's shooting the movie, uninterrupted, and it's really cool. You feel like you're right there, and you get to see what it's like to work with Quentin and the actors and how the movie actually gets made. [And] he will do a commentary on his section.

The bolded part seems to verify that the first disc of the SE will be the theatrical cut, and the second disc will have all the parts separated.
Old 08-16-05, 05:13 AM

Is the standard edition just DTS?

I understand the Region 3 is DTS-ES. Either way, I'm getting the R3

Last edited by CTUK; 08-16-05 at 05:17 AM.
Old 08-16-05, 08:08 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Having seen this twice already, I am damn glad I got the theatrical cut. Original cut + OAR + Anamorphic + DTS is really all I need out of my movies. If the director's cut is nice, then I may get that too. In the meantime I will keep re-watching this.
Old 08-16-05, 08:24 AM
Retired

SE. I liked the movie a lot, but it's not one I'll watch more than once or twice a year.

Add in that the rumored SE with an extended version where you can watch each story in it's entirety rather than all together in the theatrical cut make it a no brainer for me to wait for the SE.

Pretty much the same as the Kill Bill movies. I don't mind waiting as they're not absolute must haves for me.
Old 08-16-05, 08:25 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Neither.
Old 08-16-05, 08:31 AM

I've been thinking about it and have decided to hold off. Besides the fact that I want the full-blown SE of this movie, I'm tired of giving in to the studios these days by double-dipping. When it's announced that a studio will be following up a current DVD with a SE...I'll be holding off for the SE from now on.
Old 08-16-05, 09:10 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

I got mine last night w/clive owen cover
Old 08-16-05, 10:09 AM

Originally Posted by rdclark
I will Netflix the theatrical cut and wait for an SE to buy. This has become my standard practice with movies I know I want in my collection.

If the SE doesn't include the theatrical cut, and I decide I want it too, I'm sure I'll be able to buy it for less than $10 at that point.

I haven't seen the film yet, because I stay out of movie theaters.

RichC
Pretty much my sentiments on all counts.

If an initial release has decent features and no SE/CE is in the works (read an interview implying Sin City SE is probably 4 months or so away), I'll buy it, but otherwise I employ the Netflix-now, buy-later strategy. I'm not interested in rewarding greedy media companies unnecessarily, especially when some of that money will probably end up funding draconian copy-protection down the road.
Old 08-16-05, 10:57 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

got mine at circuit city with the lithograph posters
Old 08-16-05, 12:16 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by maingon
got mine at circuit city with the lithograph posters
Same here. Picked it up on my lunch break. I got the Alba/Willis cover.

The case it came in is on the very cheap. It's like one of those blank cases that Walmart sells. Can't wait to hear the DTS track tonight.
Old 08-16-05, 12:18 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Yeah I bought the Willis/Alba version at lunch today too.

It's got an insert.... I don't know, but that might be all the special features i need.
Old 08-16-05, 12:22 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

I'll be getting both. Picked up the Marv/Goldie cover today.
Old 08-16-05, 04:42 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

This one will be in the pawn shops pretty quick. I'll pick up the barebones there and buy the SE when it hits the stores.
Old 08-16-05, 09:53 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

I'll Netflix the BB for a while... But I'll buy the SE. Money's too fucking tight right now.
Old 08-16-05, 09:57 PM

I rented it tonight and i realy loved it, im going to be tempted to pick up the bare bones disc but i think ill hold out for the SE.
Old 08-16-05, 10:18 PM
DVD Talk Legend

I was in BB tonight and couldn't resist,so i went ahead and picked it up despite my intentions to wait for the upcoming SE.Whether or not i double dip depends on if i actually like it or not since this is a blind buy for me.
Old 08-16-05, 11:03 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer

Finished and put the dvd away within three hours of buying it. Meaning great movie and few extras, which has been stated on the thread many times. The movie was as good as I remember and the transfer and audio were also quite good. The featurette IS the same as on the Best Buy promo when the film was in theaters. I believe somebody mentioned that earlier. I'm glad I got the theatrical cut and will probably get the SE, but this way I'll always have the film as it is, incase the SE is extended or something. Got the Nancy and Hartigan slip. I also got the circuit city lithographs, which are really just five sturdy post card size pictures. They are nice to add to my movie room and each card has a different person (Willis, Alba, Murphey, Owen, Rourke).

Last edited by Willh51; 08-16-05 at 11:06 PM.
Old 08-16-05, 11:39 PM

Picked mine up at CC today. After seeing the inner cover and how nice-looking it is, I'm kinda disappointed that all of the slipcovers were so bland.

Tried out the DTS track this afternoon. Hooooooo, boy. It's beautiful. I don't know if I'd have been able to hold out until the SE if I tried.
Old 08-17-05, 01:18 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Both.

Search this Thread

Archive Advertising Cookie Policy Privacy Statement Terms of Service

Copyright 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.