Buffy the Vampire Slayer - Limited Edition Complete Series Box Set: Nov. 15th

Community
Search
DVD Talk Talk about DVDs and Movies on DVD including Covers and Cases

Buffy the Vampire Slayer - Limited Edition Complete Series Box Set: Nov. 15th

Search this Thread

Old 11-12-05, 08:36 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I'm actually really confused by Amazon and their preorder policy. I have a price locked in at $139.99 and am using some gift cards, but am I actually gonna get it at that price? If it doesn't ship by Monday, I'm gonna cancel. But what should I use my Border's gift cards on? It seems harder and harder to find a good deal that will actually go through on Amazon (Batman Begins).
Old 11-12-05, 09:05 AM

Originally Posted by brianluvdvd
Just curious but how is this for a blind buy? I have never seen one episode of Buffy or any of it's spin-offs but I just got finished watching Firefly and I am now obsessed with it. I know we are talking completely different genres but since the same guy did them I was curious how they compare.
I'm in the same boat as you - Loved Firefly so figured, "Why not?". I just bought it off DDD fearing the price will jump on the 15th. Looking forward to watching it and the other 20 or so DVD's I got because of the sale!
Old 11-12-05, 12:22 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by brianluvdvd
Just curious but how is this for a blind buy? I have never seen one episode of Buffy or any of it's spin-offs but I just got finished watching Firefly and I am now obsessed with it. I know we are talking completely different genres but since the same guy did them I was curious how they compare.
It's worth it, especially since, if you don't like it, you can probably get most or all of your money back by selling it off.

I would say that the show doesn't really hit its stride until halfway through season 2, so if the early eps put you off either ride them out or skip ahead. Also, season 1 is is a short season - only 13 episodes.
Old 11-12-05, 01:32 PM

I recently started watching the DVDs from the start--it was the first time I'd seen season 1 for 7 or 8 years--and I was surprised at how good the first two episodes are. Although the production seems a bit cheap compared with later seasons, the show is witty and engaging right from the start. Episode 3 (as far as I've got so far) was a bit weaker, more monster-of-the-week, but still enjoyable, and I was pleased to see Amy in it, as I couldn't remember her appearing until a later season.
Old 11-12-05, 02:30 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 259 Likes on 182 Posts
Originally Posted by The Bus
Geez, way to support OAR.
I'm flexible enough to realize that there are exceptions to every rule. Filmmakers are not infallible. Sometimes they make bad decisions, like George Lucas thinking that Jar Jar is a terrific addition to the Star Wars universe. Sure, I support his right to feel that way and make that decision, but as the person who has to watch the program I can tell you that I'd rather it be done differently.
Old 11-12-05, 03:58 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by tichtich
I recently started watching the DVDs from the start--it was the first time I'd seen season 1 for 7 or 8 years--and I was surprised at how good the first two episodes are. Although the production seems a bit cheap compared with later seasons, the show is witty and engaging right from the start. Episode 3 (as far as I've got so far) was a bit weaker, more monster-of-the-week, but still enjoyable, and I was pleased to see Amy in it, as I couldn't remember her appearing until a later season.
I actually rewatched the whole series earlier this year, and this time I enjoyed the early episodes in a way I never had before. They do have some good bits in them - they always have - but I think the difference was that my expectations were low and I already felt a great deal of affection towards the characters and show. The first time around I got into the show three years late because the cheesiness of season 1 put me right off it. It's a miracle I gave the show another chance at all, & boy am I glad I did! I know a lot of folks like the early episodes and always have, but plenty are put off by them & I wanted to warn the blind buyer in case he turns out to be one of them.

Back on topic - Has anyone with the new set had a chance to check out the bonus disc yet?

Last edited by kitkat; 11-12-05 at 04:01 PM.
Old 11-12-05, 04:34 PM
Suspended

Received 101 Likes on 87 Posts
Still no pictures? Grr
Old 11-12-05, 06:11 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by kitkat

Back on topic - Has anyone with the new set had a chance to check out the bonus disc yet?
Yes please. Details!
Old 11-12-05, 09:46 PM

There are some clips from the new bonus disc, plus some discussion of the Amazon listing disappearing, in this news story. I hope this helps!
Old 11-12-05, 11:21 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Don't know if this has been posted already, but here's a review of the bonus disc:
http://videobusiness.com/article/CA6...tml?text=buffy

Here's the full text anyway:

Buffy the Vampire Slayer: The Chosen Collection
By Ed Hulse 10/31/2005

Fox, color, 40 discs, 140 hours plus supplements, Dolby Digital Surround, fullscreen, Street: Nov. 15, $199.98; First Run: Fox-TV, 1997-2003

Why is it that so many stars these days are reluctant to acknowledge the films or TV series that made them commercially viable in the first place? That's the question that immediately springs to mind when watching the bonus disc featurettes accompanying Buffy the Vampire Slayer: The Chosen Collection, which collects all 144 episodes of the TV series in a massive box set. Sarah Michelle Gellar, Alyson Hannigan, Michelle Trachtenberg, Eliza Dushku, Seth Green and James Marsters—all of whom have since won top billing in various projects—are conspicuously M.I.A. in the Chosen supplements, produced by Michael Meadows, Paul Apel and Alan Baral. Of the show's principal cast members, only Nicholas Brendon ("Xander") is represented, although supporting players Emma Caulfield, Charisma Carpenter and Danny Strong make significant contributions. The six featurettes—for which all the new talking head footage seems to have been shot in one day—examine various aspects of the popular series, including the emphasis on sexuality, the approach to demonology and Buffy's status as a role model. The longest and most informative extra is "Back to the Hellmouth," a 55-minute gabfest between series creator Joss Whedon and various cast and crew members, including the aforementioned actors and executive producer Marti Noxon. This unscripted free-for-all elicits many fascinating facts and some refreshingly candid observations. (In describing one noteworthy event during production, Noxon places it in the period "just before I ruined season six"—a reference to fandom's well-known dissatisfaction with the show's direction in its penultimate year.) Whedon playfully directs the round-robin reminisces, although the participants' self-awareness and back-patting gets a bit tiresome. Pivotal moments in the series—including Angel's seduction of Buffy and the famous musical episode—are recalled with warmth and enthusiasm, making the hour-long conversation a real highlight. Buffy fans are devoted, and the hefty price tag on this deluxe limited edition set (which includes a collectible book and letter signed by Whedon) is not likely to greatly hinder sales, especially as Christmas approaches.
Old 11-13-05, 02:09 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally Posted by David Lambert
There are some clips from the new bonus disc, plus some discussion of the Amazon listing disappearing, in this news story. I hope this helps!
If it helps any, what is reported in the story is what an Amazon manager told me yesterday.

That they'd sold out all that they had and pulled the page off, because they could only fill a certain amount of orders and didn't know if they'd be getting more.

Of course, I'm still nervous they'll screw something up because my order has not entered the shipping stage yet and as far back as I can recall my pre-orders were already in the stage by Saturday.
Old 11-13-05, 09:24 AM

Originally Posted by dolphinboy
Of course, I'm still nervous they'll screw something up because my order has not entered the shipping stage yet and as far back as I can recall my pre-orders were already in the stage by Saturday.
I am right there with you Dolphinboy. Pre-orders normally can't be changed on Sunday, because they are in the shipping stage by then. If it helps.... I have another pre-order at Amazon for this week (Charmed), and it hasn't entered the shipping stage either.
Old 11-13-05, 10:16 AM
Inane Thread Master, 2018 TOTY

Received 934 Likes on 782 Posts
i am so glad that my $127.00 (including 2 day shipping) of one of my favorite series of all time has shipped from DigEyes and we'll be here Monday!! i can't wait. so glad i held off on buying the individual seasons months back!
Old 11-13-05, 10:18 AM

My order at Amazon just entered shipping soon status!
Old 11-13-05, 10:44 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1,421 Likes on 1,039 Posts
Is this going to be at B&M's at all? Cause I was planning on grabbing this at Best Buy.
Old 11-13-05, 11:16 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 64 Likes on 46 Posts
Originally Posted by milo bloom
Is this going to be at B&M's at all? Cause I was planning on grabbing this at Best Buy.
I'd imagine so but probably in a relatively limited amount. They've got it up on their website at $179.
Old 11-13-05, 12:12 PM
Inane Thread Master, 2018 TOTY

Received 934 Likes on 782 Posts
Originally Posted by milo bloom
is got to be much much cheaper online than any B&M on release.
Old 11-13-05, 01:22 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally Posted by rmick
My order at Amazon just entered shipping soon status!
mine too!
Old 11-14-05, 05:14 AM

Grrr Arggg
I sprung for 1 day shipping at Amazon, and my order still isn't in the shipping soon stage.

Last edited by JadeTiger; 11-14-05 at 05:17 AM.
Old 11-14-05, 08:08 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by David Lambert
Thanks!
Old 11-14-05, 09:33 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 634 Likes on 488 Posts
I'm confused. Was this show originally shot at 1.78:1 and then cropped to 1.33:1? Or was it shot at 1.33:1? If the former, then why the heck was he so giddy that Firefly was finally presented at 1.78:1 (and apparently the same goes for Angel) but sings a different tune for this set? And I don't buy that "most tv's are square" line given that, although he's right, that's just his veiled attempt at saying there's a widescreen re-release down the road when the majority of TV's will be widescreen.
Old 11-14-05, 09:45 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Buffy was originally framed at 4:3. Angel and Firefly, on the other hand, were framed at 16:9.
Old 11-14-05, 09:57 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by RocShemp
I'm confused. Was this show originally shot at 1.78:1 and then cropped to 1.33:1? Or was it shot at 1.33:1? If the former, then why the heck was he so giddy that Firefly was finally presented at 1.78:1 (and apparently the same goes for Angel) but sings a different tune for this set? And I don't buy that "most tv's are square" line given that, although he's right, that's just his veiled attempt at saying there's a widescreen re-release down the road when the majority of TV's will be widescreen.
My understanding is that Buffy is an older series and was shot with 4:3 in mind, but an open matte widescreen version was made for Europe.

Firefly
is a recent series, by which time widescreen had started to catch on. So it was shot with widescreen in mind and then cropped for the TV broadcast.

It has to do with what Whedon had in mind when framing the shots. That said, I agree with Josh Z that I would prefer to watch the widescreen version. Instead of grey bars I would have the sides of the frame filled in with more attractive material. Not that big a deal though.
Old 11-14-05, 10:41 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 259 Likes on 182 Posts
Buffy from Season 4 onwards was shot on 3-perf 35mm, which has an aspect ratio close to 16:9. The 4:3 broadcast version was taken as a center extraction with the sides cropped off. Whedon claims that the show was composed specifically for 4:3, but if you compare the two versions side by side it's very doubtful that his Director of Photography was on the same page, because the majority of shots look better composed for the full 16:9 frame.

Angel was shot similarly from Season 2 onwards. Whedon claims that S2 was meant to be 4:3 (though the DVD is 16:9). Starting in Season 3, the show was indisputably composed for 16:9. That year it began airing in 1.78:1 letterbox on broadcast.

Firefly was shot and composed for 16:9 from the beginning. The network told Whedon that they'd air it in letterbox, but changed their minds later. The episodes were broadcast hit-or-miss in terms of aspect ratio. Some were properly letterboxed, others were awkwardly cropped. The DVDs restore the correct framing to all episodes.
Old 11-14-05, 02:21 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 634 Likes on 488 Posts
I see. Too bad this set doesn't offer seasons 4 and onward in 16:9.

So how are the Angel season sets presented?

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.