Search
DVD Talk Talk about DVDs and Movies on DVD including Covers and Cases

HIGH TENSION dvd cover and specs!

Search this Thread

Old 07-26-05, 12:32 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by natevines
Can someone explain what the "U.S. theatrical audio version (with mixed use of languages)" is and how it worked?
Too bad I picked up the R2 version of this film. Decent disc, but this one is better. I really like the cover.
Don't go kicking yourself yet, Nate. Lion's Gate DVDs are generally quite second-rate in the transfer department, and the UK disc is the best current transfer going. Original language, uncut, all the good stuff.

You're not missing anything with regard to the "US theatrical audio version", but a search of the movie forums will bring up the info on what was done for the (stupid) "sometimes dubbed" US version.
Old 07-26-05, 12:59 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Sounds like a great release. I will have to add ANOTHER item to my purchase list for October. Yow.
Old 07-26-05, 02:14 PM
Suspended

Cool original language with English subtitles or dubbed version, and uncut, sounds good.

I liked thos movie a lot.

They should have waited and released this during Halloween though, oh well.
Old 07-26-05, 02:24 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by animalmystic
They should have waited and released this during Halloween though, oh well.
They're releasing it on October 11. How much closer do you want them to get?

DJ
Old 07-26-05, 02:33 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 21 Likes on 14 Posts
Originally Posted by djtoell

DJ
October 25th or November 1st
Old 07-26-05, 03:02 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Originally Posted by Richard Malloy
Don't go kicking yourself yet, Nate. Lion's Gate DVDs are generally quite second-rate in the transfer department, and the UK disc is the best current transfer going. Original language, uncut, all the good stuff.

I don't know about you,but I have been happy with all there R1 U.S. dvd audio and picture transfers I have seen. Now I hear there Canadian dvd releases are pretty lousy(& mostly P&S). But the ones I have bought in the U.S all have had great transfers.
Old 07-26-05, 03:17 PM

I liked it alright, but thought the writing was lazy. I bought the unrated overseas version.

Spoiler:
I mean come on...so shes the killer, but where did the truck come from? There were soooo many questions left unanswered. Unfortunately, I need these types of movies to wrap up tightly and this one didnt. I would have rather seen her get pissed at this asshole who killed the family and go on a vendetta hunt....thats what I was expecting
Old 07-26-05, 03:31 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally Posted by Julie Walker
I don't know about you,but I have been happy with all there R1 U.S. dvd audio and picture transfers I have seen. Now I hear there Canadian dvd releases are pretty lousy(& mostly P&S). But the ones I have bought in the U.S all have had great transfers.
I don't mean to be too down on LGF's transfers (certainly not "great" IMO, but acceptable). My comment was directed to Nate who was disappointed that he'd already gotten the R2 disc, which I suspect will still be the better transfer.
Old 07-26-05, 03:47 PM

Originally Posted by RockStrongo
I liked it alright, but thought the writing was lazy. I bought the unrated overseas version.

Spoiler:
I mean come on...so shes the killer, but where did the truck come from? There were soooo many questions left unanswered. Unfortunately, I need these types of movies to wrap up tightly and this one didnt. I would have rather seen her get pissed at this asshole who killed the family and go on a vendetta hunt....thats what I was expecting
Spoiler:
Well ever think that maybe,she was never friends with the girl and the opening with them was all just a complete fabrication on her insane psyches part? It's possible...which would mean the truck exists,and she was in it the whole time prowling towards the farmhouse. Meanwhile in her delusions of 'innocence',she makes up the story of herself trying to save her dear friends life heroically. Yet that is not what really happened.
Old 07-26-05, 03:52 PM

Originally Posted by Julie Walker
Spoiler:
Well ever think that maybe,she was never friends with the girl and the opening with them was all just a complete fabrication on her insane psyches part? It's possible...which would mean the truck exists,and she was in it the whole time prowling towards the farmhouse. Meanwhile in her delusions of 'innocence',she makes up the story of herself trying to save her dear friends life heroically. Yet that is not what really happened.
Spoiler:
No, I didnt think about that, but I did wonder if she fell asleep on the bed when she was listening to her head phones and dreamed it all.
Old 07-26-05, 06:59 PM

So just how graphic is the extra 40 or so seconds? I don't mind having things spoiled just curious what got left out
Old 07-26-05, 07:20 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by ReservoirDog45
So just how graphic is the extra 40 or so seconds? I don't mind having things spoiled just curious what got left out
stole this from htf
Spoiler:
The decapitation is abbreviated right as the head comes off. No spurting blood.

The mother's throat-cut was truncated after the actual cut and the killer pulls back the head to open the wound to the camera. The heavy blood flow is gone. As the mother lies on the floor with a gaping wound, it's shortened with the extra gurling and blood excised.

The gas station attendant's death didn't appear to be cut too badly, but some of the impact seemed to softened slightly.

The face-off scene between Alex and the "killer" was definitely less brutal. It's still somewhat meaty, but the repeated bludgeoing with the barbed-wire spike is quite noticeably gone. If I recall correctly, she hits him like once in this.

The "saw" death at the end was reduced to mainly shots of the killer putting the saw through the car. This was pretty wet in the uncut version, so most of the splattering blood and impact is gone. There is only a very, very quick shot of the saw cutting across the victim's chest.
Old 07-26-05, 10:39 PM

I can't wait for the uncut version
Old 07-26-05, 11:37 PM
Banned

it will be a great birthday present for me that day.
Old 07-27-05, 08:15 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Re the "cut version" changes Rypro listed...

Spoiler:
didn't they also tone down the decapitation-by-staircase-and-heavy-furniture shot as well?
Old 07-27-05, 08:24 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Can't wait to check this out! Skipped it in the theater, waiting for the uncut version.
Old 07-27-05, 11:12 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Originally Posted by Richard Malloy
Re the "cut version" changes Rypro listed...

Spoiler:
didn't they also tone down the decapitation-by-staircase-and-heavy-furniture shot as well?
Originally Posted by Rypro 525
Spoiler:
The decapitation is abbreviated right as the head comes off. No spurting blood.
Reading = good.
Old 07-27-05, 12:16 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 361 Likes on 304 Posts
Thanks for the info!

I already have the R2 2 disc French Version, as well as the UK special edition, so I'll be passing on this. I was hoping they would have some exclusive R1 version extras, but it looks like the same extras as the previous discs minus the 1 on 1 interviews with Cecile De France, Phillipe Nahon, Maiwenn, and Alexandre Aja.
Old 07-27-05, 01:19 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

I will never understand putting out an R rated AND an Unrated Version.
Why not JUST release the unrated?
Old 07-27-05, 01:30 PM

Originally Posted by dadaluholla
I will never understand putting out an R rated AND an Unrated Version.
Why not JUST release the unrated?
Because certain places that hide behind the shield of 'family values' refuse to carry unrated or NC-17 films. Hence both versions being made available.

Now I noticed Hollywood Video has recently begun to stock both versions of the latest rated/unrated releases. Will they do the same for High Tension,or only the big studio films? That remains to be seen.

Wal-Mart occasionally stocks the unrated version,mostly from major studios.

Both places refuse to stock NC-17 rated releases though(talk about hypocrisy!).

Meanwhile some here and there may still stick to the old anti-unrated everything policy.

I'm not upset that the R rated version is also being released. I am more upset that it is only being made available in pan & scan. Since the poor soul stuck with the only option at some places,will end up missing half the picture.

I think studios should always make all versions of a film available in there original aspect ratio. It's not like the rated versions outsell the unrated versions anyway. So by attempting to push people towards the unrated version by offering that only it the correct aspect ratio is pretty foolish.
Old 07-27-05, 02:12 PM
Suspended

Originally Posted by djtoell

DJ
Oh no I meant the movie itself in the theaters, I think it would have done better if they selected a better release time, like closer to Halloween.
Old 07-27-05, 02:20 PM

also edited:

Spoiler:
The scene in the beginning with the slow advance to the van with the killer getting "pleasured" by his passenger, followed by a quick cut to a side view of the killer disposing of his "passenger" out the window. This scene gives very literal meaning to "getting head".
Old 07-27-05, 03:02 PM

Was the 'head' scene really cut? Everyone told me it was uncut,and even if trimmed slightly. It was still shocking to see,since you still saw what he was doing with it.
Old 07-27-05, 03:12 PM

Julie-

I have the Korean version and did an A-B comparison.
Spoiler:
It cuts somewhere between the slow zoom in on the van to the "passenger" being tossed out the window. You aren't given the opoortunity to see what he is doing with the passenger.
Old 07-27-05, 03:29 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by jbnugent
Julie-

I have the Korean version and did an A-B comparison.
Spoiler:
It cuts somewhere between the slow zoom in on the van to the "passenger" being tossed out the window. You aren't given the opoortunity to see what he is doing with the passenger.
but in the r version, you still get an idea of what he is doing.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.