DVD Talk Forum

DVD Talk Forum (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/)
-   DVD Talk (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/dvd-talk-3/)
-   -   HIGH TENSION dvd cover and specs! (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/dvd-talk/431805-high-tension-dvd-cover-specs.html)

Julie Walker 07-25-05 04:16 PM

HIGH TENSION dvd cover and specs!

Specs on High Tensions release....

http://www.bloody-disgusting.com/ind...plate=newsfull

Lions Gate’s director of marketing Chela Johnson shared with Fango the details of the upcoming DVD release of Alexandre Aja’s HIGH TENSION, hitting shelves October 11 from the company’s Home Entertainment division. Johnson reveals that both R and unrated versions will be available (unrated artwork pictured), with both featuring options to screen the film in its U.S. theatrical audio version (with mixed use of languages), the original French version with English subtitles or with full English dubbing. Extras will include a director/writer commentary with Aja and co-scripter Grégory Levasseur, a director and lead actress select-scene commentary with Aja and star Cécile De France and Making Of, Make-Up FX and Building TENSION featurettes, as well as various trailers for the film. Retail price will be $27.98.

RyoHazuki 07-25-05 04:34 PM

Thats pretty cool but those covers are teh suck. Especially goofy is the blood added to the unrated version.

Willh51 07-25-05 04:38 PM

I thought this movie was pretty good until
Spoiler:
the dumb ass multiple personality ending
ruined it all.

Julie Walker 07-25-05 04:43 PM

Um Ryan,the bloodied person on the unrated cover is what she actually looks like in the film. The R cover is a clean version and not how she originally looked in the film.

So if anything,the 'clean' cover is cheesier looking than the bloody cover:)

ShagMan 07-25-05 05:00 PM

original audio :thumbsup:

danyanez 07-25-05 05:21 PM

Original Audio
Original Cut

natevines 07-25-05 05:35 PM

Can someone explain what the "U.S. theatrical audio version (with mixed use of languages)" is and how it worked?
Too bad I picked up the R2 version of this film. Decent disc, but this one is better. I really like the cover.

TomOpus 07-25-05 05:35 PM

At least we can give kudos to Lion's Gate for releasing it the right way on DVD. It'll make up (a little bit) for the US theatrical release.

TomOpus 07-25-05 05:42 PM

Originally Posted by natevines
Can someone explain what the "U.S. theatrical audio version (with mixed use of languages)" is and how it worked?

This is taken from the movie discussion in Movie Talk... someone posted an interview with the lead actress but her interpretor explained the mixed languages:

"Basically, they changed the story to make the dubbing work, so that Marie is going to her American friend's house in the south of France, so she can practice her English, but she's French, so anything that happens outside that family unit, happens in French. That's why it goes back and forth that she speaks to her friend Alex in English-Alex is American-but the other part, she speaks to everybody else in French, and it kind of shows the duality of Marie's character without giving anything away."

Geofferson 07-25-05 06:00 PM

Sounds like a solid DVD. :up:

natevines 07-25-05 07:04 PM

Originally Posted by TomOpus
This is taken from the movie discussion in Movie Talk... someone posted an interview with the lead actress but her interpretor explained the mixed languages:

"Basically, they changed the story to make the dubbing work, so that Marie is going to her American friend's house in the south of France, so she can practice her English, but she's French, so anything that happens outside that family unit, happens in French. That's why it goes back and forth that she speaks to her friend Alex in English-Alex is American-but the other part, she speaks to everybody else in French, and it kind of shows the duality of Marie's character without giving anything away."

Sounds pretty fascinating and clever. Though I could understand how one might not like this since it somewhat changes the plot of the film.

Julie Walker 07-25-05 07:31 PM

Well since none of the English dubbing comes close to matching the lips. It is very distracting and adds unintentional laughs because of it.

Also I noticed how they got around changing the plot. They added dialogue stating that whenever someones lips were not onscreen,or charecters were not onscreen and it was otherwise silent for a few moments from the looks of it.

So it is not nearly as 'clever' as it appears:D

Now if the lips matched the lips and you weren't aware it was dubbed. Then you'd be on to something!

Shagrath 07-25-05 07:34 PM

Glad to hear that Lions Gate is doing this right the first time around. I never got around to picking up the R2 (since it was pretty expensive) and am glad that this one is coming out unrated and with the original French language track.

I am going to wait for some reviews to trickle in to make sure that by unrated, they mean uncut. Because we all know how studios like to throw that unrated word around.

Julie Walker 07-25-05 08:53 PM

Um Shag,I don't think you have to 'worry' about anything. Unrated in this case means the original uncensored gruesome version that was rated NC-17 previouslly:)

There is nothing more they can add to the movie,other than the gore that was cut out.

It is the only reason to release an uncut unrated version of this film.

MartinBlank 07-25-05 08:59 PM

Does anyone know how much longer the unrated version is vs. the R-rated one?

pro-bassoonist 07-25-05 09:10 PM

Originally Posted by MartinBlank
Does anyone know how much longer the unrated version is vs. the R-rated one?

'bout a few buckets of blood!

Ciao,
Pro-B

Julie Walker 07-25-05 09:31 PM

40 something seconds.

But it will be a big splattery 40 something seconds:D

This is gore we are talking about,not a few lines of dialogue. So it will make a big difference compared to the R version were the cuts jump off the screen at you.

steebo777 07-25-05 09:47 PM

:thumbsup: to LG for releasing this right! They get my money.

Squirrel God 07-25-05 10:49 PM

Nice disk. I have the Korean Unrated R3. You're in for a treat with the unrated version. IT IS GRIM!

Shame about the cover for the US DVD though.

Spoiler:
Kinda gives away the movie!

caiman 07-25-05 11:33 PM

The extra shots in the uncut version of High Tension are more significant than in any other "unrated" movie I've ever seen. These extra few shots are the difference between "damn, thats sick" and "OH MY SWEET GOD WHAT THE FUCK DID I JUST SEE?!"

scott shelton 07-25-05 11:41 PM

Originally Posted by Squirrel God
Shame about the cover for the US DVD though.

Spoiler:
Kinda gives away the movie!

How do you figure that?

caiman 07-25-05 11:45 PM

Originally Posted by scott shelton
How do you figure that?

It's the first thing I thought of too.
Spoiler:
showing her holding the power saw sortof shows that she's the killer. But upon further thought, I don't think it really spoils anything. By the time the movie gets to the saw scene, the audience should pretty much have it figured out. So it's not like the cover really means anything to someone who hasn't seen the movie. In fact, the only way the cover can be a spoiler is by people doing exactly what I'm doing right now - mentioning the cover, followed by a big block of spoiler text. oh well.

GoldenJCJ 07-26-05 12:17 AM

I haven't read the spoiler, but considering I've seen that same picture on everything High Tensionfor the last year, I guess it's been spoiled for me long ago.

As for the DVD release: Sounds good since I missed it in theaters.

mikewendt 07-26-05 01:34 AM

Originally Posted by Julie Walker
Um Ryan,the bloodied person on the unrated cover is what she actually looks like in the film. The R cover is a clean version and not how she originally looked in the film.

So if anything,the 'clean' cover is cheesier looking than the bloody cover:)

Agreed... Bloody cover looks much better. And it only spoils anything if you've seen the movie. If you haven't, looking at that or the picture of her holding the barbed wire 2x4 will have the same impact.

Julie Walker 07-26-05 01:41 AM

Spoiler:
It will basically make people think(if completely unaware of the twist etc) that she is just one upping the killer and fighting back. Though the problem with keeping secrets nowadays is,the moment someone knows there is a twist. They're more likely to guess the truth without seeing it. Case in point,my little brother said "What she's the killer or something?" after hearing about it