Search
DVD Talk Talk about DVDs and Movies on DVD including Covers and Cases

Am I the only guilty one here?...

Search this Thread

Old 07-10-05, 05:19 PM
Inane Thread Master, 2018 TOTY

Received 909 Likes on 769 Posts
Originally Posted by Joe Molotov
And probably borderline illegal as well. Personally I try keep my DVD in good enough condition that this doesn't become an issue.
there is nothing borderline about it. it is stealing anyway you look at it!
Old 07-10-05, 05:39 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by KOROVAMILK
I just think a few a you are a little to quick to point the finger...
You're the one who asked us for our opinions in the first place.
Old 07-10-05, 08:50 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
interesting thread. clearly what KOROVAMILK is doing is wrong, yet he rationalizes it by A.) trying to minimalize the illegality of it, and B.) trying to compare it to other misdeeds that other people may have done(ie- bootlegging, "taking advantage" or misprices, etc). Obviously all his rationalizations are bullshit. The fact that he's oblivious to the flimsy nature of said rationalizations makes it hard to differentiate him from a common criminal.

that being said, a so-called "victimless crime" is still a crime.

But I, like so many others here, am still very much curious as to how these discs get defective in the first place, given your self-affixed "neat-freak" persona. I have hundreds of dvds and mine don't even so much as get dusty, and I'm not a neat freak. Or at least I don't claim to be one. So what's the deal. Does the Crapped Out DVD Gnome visit your house every night????
Old 07-10-05, 09:03 PM
Banned

Not to defend the guy for what he's doing, but it's possible to get scratches on your discs if you don't always put them back in their cases immediately. I recently noticed that the first disc of my LOTR-FOTR: EE is quite a bit scratched up. Tried playing it in my DVD-ROM and the thing kept pausing during playback, but that's not really a good test because a brand new disc did the same thing on its first play ever in any player.
Old 07-10-05, 09:15 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by Mike Lowrey
if you don't always put them back in their cases immediately.
so where are they in the meantime? still in the player? because I've done that plenty of times with no ill consequences. was I just lucky? or do you mean they get set somewhere else after leaving the player (before getting put back in the case)? if that's the case, again...he's claming to be a neat freak so that sounds odd.
Old 07-10-05, 10:46 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by mifuneral
so where are they in the meantime? still in the player? because I've done that plenty of times with no ill consequences. was I just lucky? or do you mean they get set somewhere else after leaving the player (before getting put back in the case)? if that's the case, again...he's claming to be a neat freak so that sounds odd.
This was my thought as well. I've left some DVDs in my player (a 5-disc changer) for several weeks with no ill effects. But the thought of setting a DVD down anywhere other than its case after removing it from the player is more than just odd to me, its unthinkable.
Old 07-11-05, 11:46 AM

Originally Posted by RoboDad
This was my thought as well. I've left some DVDs in my player (a 5-disc changer) for several weeks with no ill effects. But the thought of setting a DVD down anywhere other than its case after removing it from the player is more than just odd to me, its unthinkable.

Holy Cow....I like to take care of DVD's too, but ya know, they are not alive, they are only movies...I sometimes watch a movie or two and place them ON TOP of the DVD player, yes, outside of the case. I also have done this with xbox games...and the dvd's have actually been ok with this. I asked them.
I also lend out my dvd's, and I buy used ones from like blockbusters...again, they were all ok...
Old 07-11-05, 12:28 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by Lonestar9
Holy Cow....I like to take care of DVD's too, but ya know, they are not alive, they are only movies...I sometimes watch a movie or two and place them ON TOP of the DVD player, yes, outside of the case. I also have done this with xbox games...and the dvd's have actually been ok with this. I asked them.
I also lend out my dvd's, and I buy used ones from like blockbusters...again, they were all ok...
If you want to risk having your DVDs become unplayable in a dozen years, or if you have so much disposable income that you can afford to replace all of your worn out DVDs, then more power to you. I, on the other hand, treat mine carefully, and my (8-year-old) first DVD still looks just as new as my most recent purchase. And it will continue to be so, even after many of yours have required replacement.
Old 07-11-05, 03:10 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by RoboDad
Well, I usually put them on top of the case, of which I have sitting there between my left speaker and receiver. I do this if I'm watching a disc and haven't finished it, but want to watch another disc.

Another odd thing I do, I guess, is to lay my PC CD-ROM games around my computer desk. Do they get scratched up? Yes, quite radically in fact, but I have very seldomly totally ruined a disc.
Old 07-11-05, 03:17 PM
Retired

I always pop mine right back in the case as well. Always have with CDs, games, DVDs etc.
Old 07-12-05, 11:42 AM
DVD Talk Reviewer

Yep. I never leave a DVD laying around. Even if you just leave it laying around somewhere, it always seems to get dirty or something bad has the potential to happen to it. Always better to be safe than sorry.
Old 07-12-05, 10:17 PM

I've scratched several discs simply trying to remove them from a case that had a really tight center hub retainer. When it finally releases the disc goes sliding everywhere!!!
The Holy Grail SE was so tight I practically bent the disk in half, was afraid the disc was going to crack trying to get the darn thing off.
Old 07-12-05, 10:27 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Another odd thing I do, I guess, is to lay my PC CD-ROM games around my computer desk. Do they get scratched up? Yes, quite radically in fact, but I have very seldomly totally ruined a disc.
CDs are generally more forgiving than DVDs though.
Old 07-12-05, 10:33 PM
DVD Talk Legend & 2019 TOTY Winner

Received 160 Likes on 122 Posts
Yawn just another Dalvinesque thread
Old 07-13-05, 07:30 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts
I have a little confession to make...
If the "little" confession is stealing, we have to wonder what your "big" confessions might be - feel free to plead the 5th Ammendment.

Bet you're the kind of guy who also wanders into a shoe store, puts on a new pair of shoes and leaves your old ones sitting on the shelf.
Old 07-13-05, 08:03 AM
DVD Talk Reviewer

Originally Posted by spawndude
I've scratched several discs simply trying to remove them from a case that had a really tight center hub retainer. When it finally releases the disc goes sliding everywhere!!!
The Holy Grail SE was so tight I practically bent the disk in half, was afraid the disc was going to crack trying to get the darn thing off.
I'm very very careful when removing my DVD's if it's that hard to get them out. I've never had one slide around on me fortunately although I've been close. I've had it move over slightly to the inner circle which doesn't contain information on it, fortunately. But it really is obnoxious to get a DVD you think you're going to end up breaking due to how tight it's in there. Fortunately, I haven't had one break on me yet.
Old 07-13-05, 09:46 AM

Actually I did a few murders a while ago...are you freaking kinding me?... I guess if I ripped the tags off of a matress you guys would fire bomb my house... I admit to swapping DVDs is wrong hence "guilty" in the title, however the speculation of what kind a vile person am I to do such a talibanesk tragedy to mankind is absurd... I take care of my DVDs... the ones (5) or so that I have "swapped" were store bought DVDs or gifts, that when I got home... one of the disks was loose in the case when I opened it and was a bit scratched or the cardboard outerpackaging had a crease in it or something to that extent... So keep on excising my demons and congratulations into sainthood...
Old 07-13-05, 10:02 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,300 Likes on 944 Posts
I guess if I ripped the tags off of a matress you guys would fire bomb my house.
Good attempt at hyperbole but the consumer is allowed to remove those tags.

I take care of my DVDs... the ones (5) or so that I have "swapped" were store bought DVDs or gifts, that when I got home... one of the disks was loose in the case when I opened it and was a bit scratched
Why not do the LEGAL thing and take it back to the store for an exchange? Why do you still think it's okay to screw another unsuspecting consumer?
Old 07-13-05, 10:45 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Originally Posted by TomOpus
Good attempt at hyperbole but the consumer is allowed to remove those tags.

Why not do the LEGAL thing and take it back to the store for an exchange? Why do you still think it's okay to screw another unsuspecting consumer?
ouch.......up to this point I've been on the fence on this issue, I don't think what you are doing is morally right that's for sure, but I'm also not going to crucify you for it. but yeah man you could easily return these things to the retailer and get a fresh copy, another alternative (if you don't have a reciept) would be to sell them on half.com and take a $2-3 hit for a replacement, which is something I've done before, in fact I picked up a copy of eXistenZ from Border's for like $6 and immediatly after returning home I tossed the reciept but didn't open the damn thing for a couple weeks only to find out the snaps were broken and the disk was scratched so I resurfaced it gave it a fresh case and sold it for like $4 and then bought another new copy that was completly clean. Unfortunatly with HD/Blu-ray around the corner I've slacked big time on taking care of my stuff like I used to, so that whole exercise was pointless because I have some minor scratches on some of my disks now due to negligence.

Anyhow I hope people swapping disks like this doesn't become widespread......the difference between what a cd and a dvd can withstand as far as damage is pretty big, so It's kind of scary for me to think about just how sensitive HD/Blu-ray is going to be to scratches, that's a shitload of data on a surface that's been the same size since the 80's.

just my .02 people don't beat me up too badly.
Old 07-13-05, 10:51 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by TomOpus
Good question. I've had some problems with store bought dvds in the past. I'm sure most everyone has. But no store that wants to keep its customers will refuse replacement of faulty or damaged discs. And everyone knows that. I don't understand how such a neat freak dvd aficionado could not know it and thus "be forced" into stealing dvds from a rental place. Please.