The Big lebowski: CE - 10.18.05

Community
Search
DVD Talk Talk about DVDs and Movies on DVD including Covers and Cases

The Big lebowski: CE - 10.18.05

Search this Thread

Old 10-19-05, 07:28 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Well, I cancelled my dvdempire order for this and went and picked it up at suncoast (closest place to work). I looks like they only had 3 copies there. I bought it, I like it, is it worth the extra $20? Probably not until its been oop for a while and even then the worth will depend upon the print run. Anyone else bite and buy the gift set or have a problem finding this?
Old 10-19-05, 07:40 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
My Best Buy had like 4 Gift Sets....I passed, didn't really seem worth it.

I actually never saw the movie.....*runs and hides from shame*
Old 10-19-05, 08:03 AM
DVD Talk Reviewer

Originally Posted by Michael Corvin
So you reviewed a disc without actually viewing it? Just cobbled it together from other reviews? Please tell me I am reading that wrong.
You're reading it wrong.

I only said I didn't have the packaging yet, not the actual disc (how else could I have added the screen caps?). In most cases, DVD Talk reviewers get the discs via First Class or Priority Mail and then the packaging a few days later via Media Mail. Rather than wait until after street date, I went ahead and wrote the review, basing my judgement of the packaging extras on what was advertised elsewhere.

By the way, I actually got the box today and it looks really sweet (and to answer an earlier question: there's only an ad insert included, sorry). I'll probably be able to add pictures of the packaging to my review sometime on Thursday.
Old 10-19-05, 08:08 AM
DVD Talk Legend

So, is the movie on the new DVD really 20 minutes longer than the previous release, or is that just a typo on the back?
Old 10-19-05, 08:40 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

The running time was incorrect on the previous release, I believe.
Old 10-19-05, 02:18 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

A couple of things here, so nobody get's screwed on this. The main selling point here is the very much improved transfer, that is it. The gift set is sort of pointless for casual fans, but die-hards will be a little disappointed as well. I purchased the gift set, and although I am happy with it, it is way to overpriced and not really worth the $50. Even for die-hards like myself, it is worth owning but you will be left feeling empty handed.

As for the actual dvd, the CE's is very nice for the film alone. If you do not own the previous edition this is worth it. If you do own the previous edition, there should be caution advised before repurchasing. If you want to upgrade it will be a transfer upgrade only. The new transfer is fantastic. But in the Extra's department both versions grade about even, with the previous release having a trailer, and the CE's having the photo gallery and no trailer.

Bottom line, both versions are nice, but the transfer on the CE is worth an upgrade. Very disappointing release in the extra's department.

Perhaps, another edition is in the works by Universal.
Old 10-20-05, 12:08 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

dvd_luver, thanks for that information, you definitely summed it up nicely. I have the old version and I'm really on the fence about this "up"grade. Picture quality is important though, so I'm leaning toward re-buying.
Old 10-20-05, 03:40 PM

Coming from a guy definitely heading to the Fest this weekend, even "die-hards" don't want to spend $50 to basically have an oblong box on their shelves.
Old 10-20-05, 05:06 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Universal did a nice job on the 12 Monkeys Special Edition remastered transfer, so I expect similar results with this release.