DVD Talk Forum

DVD Talk Forum (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/)
-   DVD Talk (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/dvd-talk-3/)
-   -   The Big lebowski: CE - 10.18.05 (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/dvd-talk/429602-big-lebowski-ce-10-18-05-a.html)

Patrick Mirza 07-07-05 03:23 AM

The Big lebowski: CE - 10.18.05

Universal Studios has just announced The Big Lebowski: Collector's Edition for release on October 18th.

The only info for now is separate anamorphic widescreen and fullscreen editions and a retail of $19.98. A Gift Set will be available as well for $49.98.

chileorgullo 07-07-05 03:34 AM

is the original OOP?

Patrick Mirza 07-07-05 03:49 AM

Not as far as I can tell. It's still listed on Universal's site.

But at $19.98, I would imagine this new edition will replace the old one permanently.

DrGerbil 07-07-05 04:08 AM

A 'The Dude Abides' Commentary would be most appreciated. :)

Dr. Calamari 07-07-05 05:34 AM

Finally! Nothing bad to say about the original release, but it's about time this one got the CE treatment. This has always been my favorite Coen Bros. film...definitely have to double-dip when it comes out.

Count de Monet 07-07-05 07:23 AM

I adore THE BIG LEBOWSKI but I'll only get this if the picture and sound quality is improved. I've heard about the kind of extras that will be included and I'm not at all impressed. Sounds like Universal is pulling another fast one, rushing out and fluffing up what could have been an Essential DVD. This aggression will not stand, man.

steebo777 07-07-05 07:26 AM

Far out man. Far f**king out.

I am so all over this, especially that gift set (even though I have no clue what's in it, I don't care).

Grizzly 07-07-05 07:50 AM

gift set......!!!!!

i gotta have that.

i already have 2 releases of this film, yet this is the easiest double, well triple-dip i've ever done.

Skoobooz 07-07-05 08:15 AM

Originally Posted by Count de Monet
I adore THE BIG LEBOWSKI but I'll only get this if the picture and sound quality is improved. I've heard about the kind of extras that will be included and I'm not at all impressed. Sounds like Universal is pulling another fast one, rushing out and fluffing up what could have been an Essential DVD. This aggression will not stand, man.

Nothing has been announced yet, outside of a mention recently that there would be a featurette about Lebowski Fest. Although it is Universal, I'd say we should at least give them a chance to announce the specs before getting mad at them.

dealer 07-07-05 08:16 AM

Maybe the gift set comes with a white russian

or a rug

or both

steebo777 07-07-05 08:30 AM

That rug really tied the gift set together, did it not?

rexinnih 07-07-05 08:34 AM

I will abide.

Save Ferris 07-07-05 08:48 AM

Shut the fuck up steebo, you're out of your element!!!

Big Worms 07-07-05 08:48 AM

Hmmm....gift set sounds interesting.

Cameron 07-07-05 08:51 AM

sold off my copy months ago in anticipation....just hope it doesn't come with a eagles cd...cmon man i hate the f#$@king eagles

gorgo99 07-07-05 09:03 AM

I'll be interested to see what the extras are... the original looks/sounds excellent already, but it's a favorite around here, always room for more!

Count de Monet 07-07-05 09:38 AM

Originally Posted by Skoobooz
Nothing has been announced yet, outside of a mention recently that there would be a featurette about Lebowski Fest. Although it is Universal, I'd say we should at least give them a chance to announce the specs before getting mad at them.

I know there's been no announcement yet. I have my information from another trusted source.

bhauge 07-07-05 10:22 AM

I'll bet Pat and Jaime of Santa Barbara are kicking themselves that they ordered the current version from Amazon.com instead of waiting for the CE. However, it probably helped that Jeff Bridges delivered it personally :)

http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg/browse/-/14104351/

Geofferson 07-07-05 10:35 AM

Awesome news. :up:

Save Ferris 07-07-05 10:38 AM

Originally Posted by bhauge
I'll bet Pat and Jaime of Santa Barbara are kicking themselves that they ordered the current version from Amazon.com instead of waiting for the CE. However, it probably helped that Jeff Bridges delivered it personally :)

http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg/browse/-/14104351/

Those people are way too underwelmed.

Gee sorry for intruding on your happy vanilla day, you undeserving yuppies.

dvd_luver 07-07-05 11:32 AM

Go figure, I now have to cough up $50 bucks on a nice gift set, the dude abides man, the dude abides. Awesome, awesome, awesome news man.

Should make for a very nice gift set and hopefully everything will be perfect. As for the current dvd of "The Big Lebowski" that will probably go out of print, but I hope Universal is not using those transfers on that dvd (WS and FS) and adding on all the extras and what not and fooling us all.

dvd_luver 07-07-05 11:43 AM

The current Big Lebowski dvd has WS and FS versions on a dual layer disc. The dvd was originally in print through Polygram video and than Universal released it as most Polygram video dvds were taken over by their company. I must say, there has not been any specs released as of yet, but what concerns me is Universal using what is already a very solid, clean transfer. I think the current transfer is good enough for them to use, so that is of concern. It's still early, but this is one of my favorite films ever, so I hope it get's the royal treatment and we get a new transfer, making the current dvd a collectors item.

DVD Josh 07-07-05 12:16 PM

Before anyone goes crazy over Universal, remember that the Coen brothers aren't huge fans of extras, and that's probably why even this CE is a little bare-boned.

Mondo Kane 07-07-05 12:25 PM

Originally Posted by gorgo99
the original looks/sounds excellent already,

Plus it's got the greatest description ever!
http://images.dvdempire.com/gen/movies/2020bh.jpg

canaryfarmer 07-07-05 12:42 PM

And Tara Reid even looks attractive!