Search this Thread

Old 07-10-05, 10:16 AM
DVD Talk Reviewer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I'm going to be all over this set.
Old 07-12-05, 08:56 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Cover art is available at DVD Town: http://www.dvdtown.com/announcement/...fozondvd/2076/

I like the 3-disc version...not so much with the 2-disc version. But still, this looks to be a stellar release.
Old 07-12-05, 09:10 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1,028 Likes on 727 Posts
I've lived with my VHS copy up until now also. I look forward to this release! Hopefully, (and it sounds likely!) the "Oz Jukebox" portion of the set will include the rehearsal versions of some of the songs. They make for good listening!
Old 07-12-05, 09:18 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,303 Likes on 947 Posts
Yes, I like the 3-disc cover art. Of course, even if the cover was Toto's ass, I'd still get it.

oh, I mean Toto the dog, not the musical group
Old 07-12-05, 10:27 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Location: Second star to the right and straight on 'til morning.
Received 1,077 Likes on 676 Posts
If the musical group's collective asses were on the cover I'd still get it!
Old 07-12-05, 10:33 PM
DVD Talk Legend

For the lazy:

Disc 1
New 2005 “Ultra Resolution” digital master from restored film elements
New commentary by historian John Fricke with selected archival audio comments by Barbara Freed-Saltzman (daughter of Arthur Freed), Margaret Hamilton, Ray Bolger, Jack Haley, Ken Darby (orchestral and vocal arranger), John Lahr (son of Bert Lahr), Jane Lahr (daughter of Bert Lahr), Hamilton Meserve (son of Margaret Hamilton), William Tuttle (make-up artist), Buddy Ebsen, Mervyn LeRoy, John Lee Mahin and Jerry Maren
Prettier Than Ever: The Restoration of Oz
We Haven’t Really Met Properly…supporting cast profile gallery, narrated by Angela Lansbury
The Wonderful Wizard of Oz storybook, read by Angela Lansbury
Theatrical trailer gallery
Disc 2:
Documentaries on the movie’s creation and impact
The Wonderful Wizard of Oz: The Making of a Movie Classic hosted by Angela Lansbury and Memories of Oz -- two original TV specials
All-New: The Art of Imagination: A Tribute to Oz,
Because of the Wonderful Things it Does: The Legacy of Oz
Harold Arlen’s on-set home videos
Outtakes and deleted scenes
It’s a Twister! It’s a Twister! The tornado special effects tests
Vintage vault featurettes
Extensive stills gallery
More than six hours of audio-only treasures, including an "Oz jukebox" of recording session materials, radio shows and promos
Off to See the Wizard
Disc 3:
Four hours devoted to Oz creator L. Frank Baum, who published his first Oz book in 1900.
New documentary L. Frank Baum: The Man Behind the Curtain
Pre-1939 versions of Oz on screen
The Wizard of Oz (1910)
The Magic Cloak of Oz (1914)
His Majesty, The Scarecrow of Oz (1914)
The Wizard of Oz (1925): restored silent version featuring Oliver Hardy and Larry Semon, with a new, fully orchestrated score by Robert Israel
The Wizard of Oz (1933 Cartoon)

Disc 1
New 2005 “Ultra Resolution” digital master from restored film elements
New commentary by historian John Fricke with selected archival audio comments by Barbara Freed-Saltzman (daughter of Arthur Freed), Margaret Hamilton, Ray Bolger, Jack Haley, Ken Darby (orchestral and vocal arranger), John Lahr (son of Bert Lahr), Jane Lahr (daughter of Bert Lahr), Hamilton Meserve (son of Margaret Hamilton), William Tuttle (make-up artist), Buddy Ebsen, Mervyn LeRoy, John Lee Mahin and Jerry Maren
Prettier Than Ever: The Restoration of Oz
We Haven’t Really Met Properly…supporting cast profile gallery, narrated by Angela Lansbury
The Wonderful Wizard of Oz storybook, read by Angela Lansbury
Theatrical trailer gallery
Disc 2:
Documentaries on the movie’s creation and impact
The Wonderful Wizard of Oz: The Making of a Movie Classic hosted by Angela Lansbury and Memories of Oz -- two original TV specials
All-New: The Art of Imagination: A Tribute to Oz,
Because of the Wonderful Things it Does: The Legacy of Oz
Harold Arlen’s on-set home videos
Outtakes and deleted scenes
It’s a Twister! It’s a Twister! The tornado special effects tests
Vintage vault featurettes
Extensive stills gallery
More than six hours of audio-only treasures, including an "Oz jukebox" of recording session materials, radio shows and promos
Off to See the Wizard

Wow! Warner hits another one out of the park!!!! 3 disc set all the way.
Old 07-12-05, 10:37 PM
DVD Talk Legend

I am thrilled to pieces that the third disc will have FIVE versions of the movie (the earliest dating to 1910!!!!) I knew of the 1925 version (never seen it, though) so this is pretty cool. I doubt they will be long movies since they are putting five versions on there with a four hour doc, but it's awesome nonetheless.

Does this mean one of the all time classics that people would probably raise hell over if it was ever remade is actually not just a remake, but the SIXTH remake of the Wizard of Oz?? That is how I read that, or are the five movies just based on Baums works and not Wizard of the Oz movies?
Old 07-12-05, 11:29 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Very exciting news indeed. I will buy the 3-disc even if it isn't on sale....though I can't imagine why it wouldn't be.
Old 07-12-05, 11:50 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Him....pics aren't working at the moment. Will see if I can dig up some working ones.
Old 07-13-05, 02:44 AM
Banned

So they didn't include the ABC t.v. cartoon intros that were on the last dvd version.
Anybody else notice anything else missing on this set that was on the last set?
Old 07-13-05, 03:34 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Why does the 3 disc version have to have "darker" cover art?
I think I'll get the 2 disc version.
Old 07-13-05, 03:49 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 82 Likes on 49 Posts
Originally Posted by wm lopez
So they didn't include the ABC t.v. cartoon intros that were on the last dvd version.
Anybody else notice anything else missing on this set that was on the last set?

"Off to see the Wizard"? They're on there.....

Disc 2:
Off to See the Wizard

What I don't see on these discs is The Patchwork Girl of Oz from 1914. Everything else is there except for this film. Luckily it's on Image's Origins of Film/ box set but kind of sad if it's not collected with all the others on this set.

Wonder if it's a legal issue?

Andrew
Old 07-13-05, 07:29 AM
DVD Talk Reviewer

Either way, this is the most complete Oz set that anybody could really hope for. The original one disc release a lot of people seemed to be very pleased with, besides the fact it was a snapper. A heavily special featured special edition such as this was inevitable of course, but now that it's here, wow. They really handled this nicely. People can choose the two or three disc version so they're not stuck with a bunch of features they may not want for an extra fee, and man, I love the artwork on the three disc set. I had that Wizard Of Oz boxed set from before but man, I can't wait to get my hands on this. There's nothing like the classics!
Old 07-13-05, 12:01 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by ViewAskewbian
Him....pics aren't working at the moment. Will see if I can dig up some working ones.

Old 07-13-05, 12:06 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 460 Likes on 373 Posts
for the cover of the 3 Disc set.

I don't know about the other cover though. It sure is different.
Old 07-13-05, 12:09 PM

I was already leaning toward the the three disc set, but that artwork really settles it for me. Thanks OP!
Old 07-13-05, 12:45 PM
DVD Talk Legend

full press release

The Most Beloved Family Film of All Time Available October 25 in Two Sparkling New Editions

The Wizard of Oz

Two-Disc Special Edition & Three-Disc Collector's Edition

Film Beautifully Restored with Warner Bros. patented
Ultra-Resolution Process

More than 13 Hours of Special Features, Including: Five New Documentaries, New Commentary by Oz Historian John Fricke, Original Oz Storybook read by Angela Lansbury, and Reproductions of Rare Original 1939 Memorabilia, Including the Grauman's Chinese Theater Souvenir Premiere Program

Burbank, CA (July 11, 2005) -- Voted by the American Film Institute (AFI) as the Best Family Film of all time, The Wizard of Oz has charmed audiences of every age for more than 60 years. On October 25, Warner Home Video (WHV) will celebrate this beloved classic with two bonus-packed DVD treasuries a Two-Disc Special Edition and a Three-Disc Collector's Edition. For the very first time, these versions of The Wizard of Oz boast a stunning new digital transfer of the original film, using Warner's "Ultra-Resolution" technology, plus a newly remastered soundtrack. As a result, viewers will experience the movies Technicolor splendor and unforgettable, award-winning songs and music like never before.

Both DVD editions offer extensive bonus content, including four revealing new documentaries; a new feature-length commentary by Emmy Award-winning producer and Oz historian John Fricke; an Emmy-nominated making-of documentary hosted by Angela Lansbury; a Lansbury-narrated onscreen storybook treatment of The Wonderful Wizard of Oz with its colorful original illustrations; outtakes and deleted scenes; vintage vault featurettes; and more than six hours of audio-only treasures, including original recording sessions for songs and underscoring and rare Oz radio programs.

The Wizard of Oz Three-Disc Collector's Edition includes an additional disc of special content, featuring a new documentary about Oz author L. Frank Baum and a newly restored transfer of the 1925 feature-length silent version of The Wizard of Oz starring Oliver Hardy and Larry Semon with a fresh score by Robert Israel. Disc three is also highlighted by several additional rare Oz film features and shorts, originally produced between 1910 and 1933. In addition to the bonus disc, the Collector's Edition DVD will include reproductions of the original eight-page Grauman's Chinese Theatre Oz souvenir program from August 15, 1939, and the invitation to that premiere; the sixteen-page Metro-Goldwyn-Mayer Studio News magazine from August 14, 1939, celebrating The Wizard of Oz; nine beautifully restored natural color Kodachrome portraits and publicity photos from the film...and more.

The Wizard of Oz Two-Disc Special Edition will be available for $26.99 SRP and the Three-Disc Collector's Edition will sell for $39.92 SRP.

About the Movie: Adapted from L. Frank Baum's timeless children's tale about a Kansas girl's journey over the rainbow, The Wizard of Oz opened at Loew's Capitol Theatre in New York on August 17, 1939. The film was directed by Victor Fleming (who that same year directed Gone With the Wind), produced by Mervyn LeRoy, and scored by Herbert Stothart, with music and lyrics by Harold Arlen and E. Y. Harburg. Ray Bolger appeared as the Scarecrow; Bert Lahr as the Cowardly Lion, Jack Haley as the Tin Woodman, and Frank Morgan was seen in six different roles, including that of the "wonderful Wizard" himself. Dorothy was portrayed by a 4'11" sixteen year old girl who quickly earned her reputation as the world's greatest entertainer -- the incomparable Judy Garland.

The Wizard of Oz received five Academy Award nominations, including Best Picture, and captured two Oscars Best Song (Over the Rainbow) and Best Original Score -- plus a special award for Outstanding Juvenile Performance by Judy Garland.

The Wizard of Oz was an overwhelming popular and critical success upon its initial release and repeated its ability to captivate audiences when M-G-M reissued the film in 1949 and 1955. The film made a new kind of history with its network television premiere in 1956 on CBS. Nearly 45 million people tuned in for this initial telecast, marking the beginning of a tradition. Ever since, The Wizard of Oz has been shown virtually annually on network (and then cable) television; its magical story and heartfelt performances have enabled it to grow from a perennial classic to its current status as a treasured icon of popular culture.

Two-Disc Special Edition

Disc 1:

• New 2005 Ultra Resolution digital master from restored film elements
• New commentary by historian John Fricke with selected archival audio comments by Barbara Freed-Saltzman (daughter of Arthur Freed), Margaret Hamilton, Ray Bolger, Jack Haley, Ken Darby (orchestral and vocal arranger), John Lahr (son of Bert Lahr), Jane Lahr (daughter of Bert Lahr), Hamilton Meserve (son of Margaret Hamilton), William Tuttle (make-up artist), Buddy Ebsen, Mervyn LeRoy, John Lee Mahin and Jerry Maren
• Prettier Than Ever: The Restoration of Oz
• We Haven't Really Met Properly supporting cast profile gallery, narrated by Angela Lansbury
• The Wonderful Wizard of Oz storybook, read by Angela Lansbury
• Theatrical trailer gallery
• Dolby Digital 5.1 soundtrack
• Original mono and music-and-effects-only audio tracks
• Languages: English (Both Dolby 5.1 & original mono) & French
• Subtitles: English, French and Spanish (feature film only)

Disc 2:

Documentaries on the movie's creation and impact:
• The Wonderful Wizard of Oz: The Making of a Movie Classic hosted by Angela Lansbury and Memories of Oz -- two original TV specials
• All-New: The Art of Imagination: A Tribute to Oz
• Because of the Wonderful Things it Does: The Legacy of Oz
• Harold Arlen's onset home videos
• Outtakes and deleted scenes
• It's a Twister! It's a Twister! The tornado special effects tests
• Vintage vault featurettes
• Extensive stills gallery
• More than six hours of audio-only treasures, including an "Oz jukebox" of recording session materials, radio shows and promos

Three-Disc Collector's Edition

Disc 1 and 2, plus

Disc 3:

Four hours devoted to Oz creator L. Frank Baum, who published his first Oz book in 1900.
• New documentary L. Frank Baum: The Man Behind the Curtain
Pre-1939 versions of Oz on screen
• The Wizard of Oz (1910)
• The Magic Cloak of Oz (1914)
• His Majesty, The Scarecrow of Oz (1914)
• The Wizard of Oz (1925): restored silent version featuring Oliver Hardy and Larry Semon, with a new, fully orchestrated score by Robert Israel
• The Wizard of Oz (1933 Cartoon)
Print Reproductions Include:
• The Wizard of Oz Comes to Life Eight-page Grauman's Chinese Theatre Souvenir Premiere Program from August 15, 1939
• Studio's Invitation to The Grauman's Premiere and the envelope that included tickets to the original Opening Night -- with a newly designed commemorative ticket
• Metro-Goldwyn-Mayer Studio News Sixteen-page edition of the studio's internal "house organ" newspaper, celebrating the release of The Wizard of Oz for the week of August 14, 1939
• Photoplay Studies Rare secondary-education study guide to the film -- Volume V, Number 12 (circa August 1939) -- completely devoted to The Wizard of Oz, with articles revealing surprising insights from its producer, director, cameraman and scenarists.
• Deluxe Collectors' Portfolio Reproductions of original 1939 Kodachrome publicity stills, including nine portraits and onset photographs

The Wizard of Oz
Street Date: October 25, 2005
Rating: G
Two-Disc Special Edition Run Time 101 minutes; $26.99 SRP
Collector's Edition Run Time 101 minutes; $39.92 SRP

End Of Release
Old 07-13-05, 12:58 PM

Sounds great... the only thing that's missing is a "Pink Floyd: Dark Side of the Moon" Soundtrack option... : )

That'll be on the 2007 edition!
Old 07-13-05, 01:08 PM
DVD Talk Legend

sadly that will only ever be found on the ebay bootleg edition.

between warner wanting to protect their most popular children's title from the tripped out stoner edition, to Pink Floyd still claiming they know nothing about it to this day. i doubt we will ever see an official release. If the dark side of the moon was a warner property (it is released by Capitol Records) then it might happen...but i doubt that either are willing to lend a hot seller to each other.

no worries it will live on at laser light shows, and college gatherings.
Old 07-13-05, 01:12 PM
DVD Talk Legend

WOW! More bonuses with the print extras. NICE!
Old 07-13-05, 04:48 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by gorgo99
Sounds great... the only thing that's missing is a "Pink Floyd: Dark Side of the Moon" Soundtrack option... : )

That'll be on the 2007 edition!
I was really hoping for that!

This has got to be one of the coolest SEs released in a long time. The three disc is just a no brainer for me. Usually, the extras disc in the expanded editions doesn't really have that much more, but wow, you get a lot for your money on this set!
Old 07-14-05, 09:46 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Wonderful, now if they can only release a 3 disk set of Return to Oz! haha jk
Old 07-14-05, 10:19 PM
Banned

All that was mentioned, this new upcoming special edition does not include a 16x9 anamorphically enhanced transfer, for which the current edition is only standard. A widescreen video transfer would be glorious magnificent.
Old 07-14-05, 10:21 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally Posted by SINGLE104
All that was mentioned, this new upcoming special edition does not include a 16x9 anamorphically enhanced transfer, for which the current edition is only standard. A widescreen video transfer would be glorious magnificent.
Um... not really. Because that would involve cropping the film

The Wizard of Oz (and all other movies at that time) were filmed in 1.33:1.
Old 07-14-05, 10:43 PM
Banned

Thanks ReduxGuy for the correction! I didn't know the movie was originally filmed in 1.33:1, and widescreen will most definitely ruin the picture....disregard!

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.