Community
Search
DVD Talk Talk about DVDs and Movies on DVD including Covers and Cases

Your Most Dated Movie Ever?

Search this Thread

Old 06-09-05, 11:55 PM

Received 25 Likes on 19 Posts
Your Most Dated Movie Ever?

Some movies simply don't age well. Bad clothes, big hair, funky set design or strange dialog can either ruin a movie or make it a fantastic flashback to a bygone era. (Anyone remember those valley girl flicks of the 80's?).

I'd like to read about some of the movies you have in your collection that make you say, "What the F#@& were they thinking?"!! Please only include movies that have "accidentally" become dated over the years, not any that were purposely created to be cute or retro.

Don't forget to include whether the movie is GOOD or BAD because I might be persuaded to add it to my Netflix que.

"Sometimes stinky cheese is quite enjoyable!" - The French

-----

Here are a couple of movies that I find to be stuck in a different reality:

1) Roller Boogie - Starring Linda Blair

Oh my god, it looks like the 1970's threw up on the screen! Women in lycra, men in short-shorts, and everyone in knee-length tube socks with colored stripes!! I'm not sure, but I think this movie was trying to brainwash me into believing that the thigh is the most beautiful part of the human body (since everyone is practically nude from their knees to their pubic area)! Roller Boogie is enjoyable though and worth a rent if you enjoy movies like Xanadu (but with a little more storyline).

2) Can't Stop the Music - Starring Steve Guttenberg and the Village People

This flick is soooo bad they should have called it "Can't Stop the Movie"! I had high hopes that it would send me into retro overdrive, but all it did was put in a coma.

3) A Clockwork Orange

Loved the movie, but Kubrick's idea of the future sure looks like the 1970's to me!! Remember Future World at Disney World? Remember how it didn't look like the future at all? That's what this movie's sets remind me of: a vision of the future that has turned into a much-dated reflection of the way people predicted things would look. At least Disney World has renovated Future World! Once again, I must say it's still a great movie!

----

Now let's hear about your movies!

Old 06-10-05, 12:05 AM
Suspended pending providing a working email address

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I always get a kick out of the "big hair" in Star Trek III, apparently the 23rd century really got into perms!
Old 06-10-05, 01:42 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
i took two dates to the man who knew to little.....it was like a bad episode of growing pains
Old 06-10-05, 07:03 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 19 Likes on 14 Posts
Fahrenheit 9/11 is pretty dated, everyone likes Bush now and terrierrism or war isn't a problem anymore.
Old 06-10-05, 07:19 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Originally Posted by The Bus
Fahrenheit 9/11 is pretty dated, everyone likes Bush now and terrierrism or war isn't a problem anymore.
Are you serious? (But it was always true that F9/11 would be slightly dated after the election. However, it remains an important subjective account of the time.)
Old 06-10-05, 07:37 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally Posted by Tyler_Durden
Are you serious? (But it was always true that F9/11 would be slightly dated after the election. However, it remains an important subjective account of the time.)

Are you serious? Important? A DVD full of half-truths and information taken out of context by the biggest jackass of our time is just plain trash. The DVD will be a footnote in a few years and all but forgotten relatively soon.

Back on topic: Oh, and I find movies like Running Man that are supposed to be about the future to be kind of funny - They always have weird outdated fashion or some sort of trend that has yet to happen. There are several movie that fit this discription that is just the first one that comes to mind.

Last edited by speedyray; 06-10-05 at 07:40 AM.
Old 06-10-05, 08:10 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Originally Posted by speedyray
Are you serious? Important? A DVD full of half-truths and information taken out of context by the biggest jackass of our time is just plain trash. The DVD will be a footnote in a few years and all but forgotten relatively soon.
Calm down. I didn't mean to instill yet another debate on this subject. I meant "important" from a cultural standpoint. The film was very widely seen and discussed. It portrayed one side of a polarizing and popular issue that had (and continues to have) global implications.

Which leads us to another question on the topic of "dating": can works of art that either intend to capture a specific moment in time or acknowledge their inevitable ties to the time in which they were created, ever be "timeless"? Personally, I think so, and offer Hitchcock's "Psycho" as an example.

And my original question "are you serious?" (not directed to you, of course) was meant in earnest. I don't live in America and wasn't aware of any major shift in Bush's popularity. The post seemed sarcastic at first but as I've often discovered on this forum, statements like the one I was originally referring to occasionally are actually voiced in all seriousness.

Last edited by Tyler_Durden; 06-10-05 at 08:19 AM.
Old 06-10-05, 08:15 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by rich-y

Loved the movie, but Kubrick's idea of the future sure looks like the 1970's to me!! Remember Future World at Disney World? Remember how it didn't look like the future at all? That's what this movie's sets remind me of: a vision of the future that has turned into a much-dated reflection of the way people predicted things would look. At least Disney World has renovated Future World! Once again, I must say it's still a great movie!
A Clockwork Orange isn't necessarily set in the future. You are right about futuristic films looking dated though. In films like Bladerunner and Back to the Future Part II you see all sorts of crazy stuff like flying cars and shrink-fit jackets and androids and whatever else, all set in unrealistic dates like 2010 or worse, 1999.
Old 06-10-05, 08:27 AM

I thought there would be more, but the only one in my limited collection is Tim Burton's Batman. In the age of these new superhero movies, a pudgy Jack Nicholson dancing to Prince music just doesn't do anything for me anymore.
Old 06-10-05, 08:28 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by Tyler_Durden
Calm down. I didn't mean to instill yet another debate on this subject. I meant "important" from a cultural standpoint. The film was very widely seen and discussed. It portrayed one side of a polarizing and popular issue that had (and continues to have) global implications.

Which leads us to another question on the topic of "dating": can works of art that either intend to capture a specific moment in time or acknowledge their inevitable ties to the time in which they were created, ever be "timeless"? Personally, I think so, and offer Hitchcock's "Psycho" as an example.

And my original question "are you serious?" (not directed to you, of course) was meant in earnest. I don't live in America and wasn't aware of any major shift in Bush's popularity. The post seemed sarcastic at first but as I've often discovered on this forum, statements like the one I was originally referring to occasionally are actually voiced in all seriousness.
I think you were reading the guys post correctly. I think (and hope) he was being sarcastic about the Bush Popularity (right now his approval rating is even lower than Clinton's was WHILE he was being impeached). I think that other poster was just being uppity and defensive for no particular reason.

Anyways, back to the topic on hand.

Escape from New York - most likely because it starts the movie off with a date right away, but this seems so incredibly dated to me.

Logan's Run - really the same situation as Clockwork Orange. Most 70s Sci Fi seems to fall into this hole.
Old 06-10-05, 08:33 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by aukevin
I thought there would be more, but the only one in my limited collection is Tim Burton's Batman. In the age of these new superhero movies, a pudgy Jack Nicholson dancing to Prince music just doesn't do anything for me anymore.
huh, I didn't think Nicholson was pudgy in Batman. He is now, but not then. And anyway, The Joker doesn't need to be all that impressive, visually. Batman's rogue's gallery depends more on its brains and/or insanity than strength or "super powers."
Old 06-10-05, 09:43 AM

Are you kidding? People acting like dogs are ruining our cities! The way they run around on all fours, biting people's ankles, humping their legs, crapping on the sidewalks... I think the government should declare war on terrierism!

Oh, you mean "terrorism." Never mind.

RichC
Old 06-10-05, 10:01 AM

I'm embarrassed that I ever liked "Around the World in 80 Days" (the 1956 version). It's racist, it's sexist, it's imperialist, and worst of all, it's not funny. Here's a movie that was a grand spectacle and the height of the cinematic craft 50 years ago, but which today almost serves as a primer for everything that was wrong with our political and cultural attitudes then -- and which produced the divided and intolerant political and cultural climate we live in today.

RichC
Old 06-10-05, 10:08 AM

I second Logan's Run, but I think it's outdated look is leagues away from A Clockwork Orange.
Old 06-10-05, 10:11 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

i dont see how you can say everyone likes bush now, social security plan no one likes peole dont see the war made us an safer and has a low approval ratings
Old 06-10-05, 10:13 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 45 Likes on 37 Posts
Originally Posted by rdclark
Are you kidding? People acting like dogs are ruining our cities! The way they run around on all fours, biting people's ankles, humping their legs, crapping on the sidewalks... I think the government should declare war on terrierism!Oh, you mean "terrorism." Never mind.

This is the greatest forum on the net. People here have the best sense of wit and humor.

Dated? I'd say E.T. - that whole alien landing on earth thing was soooo 80's.
Old 06-10-05, 10:19 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

2001: A Space Odyssey - There's no rotating space station or a station on the moon. And there's no AI computer like HAL 9000. And Pan Am ain't around anymore. Plus there's no star child.

Just kidding.
Old 06-10-05, 10:56 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I'm gonna get clobbered for this, but Star Wars is majorly dated for some of the hair styles and clothing choices... attack of the mullets and poofy hairstyles on the guys especially!
Old 06-10-05, 11:00 AM

Received 17 Likes on 13 Posts
Old 06-10-05, 11:03 AM

Old 06-10-05, 11:21 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I don't want to get into the Bush discussion however I don't think everyone likes him or what he is doing LINK

On topic, I would say my Omega Man is a little dated as well as 2001: A Space Odyssey. Also I recently watched The Island of Dr. Moreau (1977) and it seemed a little dated but still watchable.
Old 06-10-05, 11:39 AM

Received 25 Likes on 19 Posts
Pardon me for not thanking the people who tried to turn this into a discussion regarding the pros and cons of George Bush, but I started this thread to discuss DVDs - not politics!

----

BACK TO THE SUBJECT...

I agree with the previous post - The Omega Man was really dated!

In addition, it was also really bad (in my opinion). Although I didn't turn it off early, I did fast forward through the second half! The whole idea of a "religious-like" cult of albino, pseudo-zombie, night-walkers really threw me off. The sets and the costumes really scream 1971, but I found myself screaming for having rented this flick!
Old 06-10-05, 11:43 AM

Originally Posted by rich-y
Pardon me for not thanking the people who tried to turn this into a discussion regarding the pros and cons of George Bush, but I started this thread to discuss DVDs - not politics!

I liked how you wrote this in really tiny font size
Old 06-10-05, 11:50 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

What's with people posting about movies in the DVD section all of a sudden?

This should be in Movie Talk.
Old 06-10-05, 12:03 PM

beat's me, you got a point though

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.