Search
DVD Talk Talk about DVDs and Movies on DVD including Covers and Cases

Some big Rumor Mill details at the Bits

Search this Thread

Old 06-09-05, 04:02 PM
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Some big Rumor Mill details at the Bits

A day late, but...for those who don't check the site religiously, like I have a habit of not doing lately....

6/8/05

We've checked in with our retail sources, and have been told that Lucasfilm tentatively plans to debut Star Wars: Episode III - Revenge of the Sith on DVD on 11/1. This would seem to be corroborated by a report from The Force.net today that indicates an 11/1 DVD release for Episode III, along with a new 3-title box set of the prequel trilogy and a 6-title box set of the complete saga. We can't confirm the box set information at the moment, so take all of the above with a grain of salt until official announcements are made.

Our retail sources have also given us tentative street dates for Fox's Fever Pitch (7/12) and Universal's The Interpreter (10/4).

Speaking of Fox, our industry sources have given us some new information on a few titles currently in the works at the studio. First up, Ridley Scott's Kingdom of Heaven is tentatively set for release in early Fall (think September or October) as a 2-disc theatrical edition. There's also the possibility of a more elaborate 3 or 4-disc edition to follow in 2006, that would feature a longer cut of the film.

You'll be glad to know that the long-awaited Office Space: Special Edition is currently slated for release in the 4th Qtr of this year.

Aliens vs. Predator is also being given more elaborate special edition treatment at the studio, and you can likely expect an official announcement on that in the next month or two.

And on the TV front, while there's still no movement on the classic Batman TV series, Space: Above and Beyond is finally on the radar for DVD release in late 2005 or 2006. AWESOME!!!!

Back to Universal for a moment... you'll be pleased to know that the studio is currently working on a more elaborate DVD special edition of To Kill a Mockingbird, which you can expect to street sometime in September. This information was confirmed by studio sources at a Los Angeles Public Library event (held last Thursday) to honor Mockingbird author Harper Lee. In attendance at the event in addition to Lee were Veronique Peck, the widow of actor Gregory Peck (who played Atticus Finch in the classic film version), and actor Brock Peters (who co-starred as Tom Robinson in the film).
Old 06-09-05, 04:09 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 309 Likes on 231 Posts
I don't think that people are going to give a crap about a more elaborate special edition of Aliens vs Predator. Thanks for the rest of the info. though. I'll believe the Office Space SE is coming when I see it with my own eyes.
Old 06-09-05, 04:11 PM
Suspended

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Looks like a Christmas (or winter holiday of your choice) of double dips.
Old 06-09-05, 04:28 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Anyone who wanted a better version of AVP (no threadcraps, please) got a version from another region. I figured it was only a matter of time before FOX over here released the two-disc version and tried to play it off as 'new.'
Old 06-09-05, 04:30 PM

Glad to finally see Space might be coming out
Old 06-09-05, 05:10 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 120 Likes on 80 Posts
All over "Mockingbird"
Old 06-09-05, 05:18 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts
Originally Posted by lotsofdvds
Looks like a Christmas (or winter holiday of your choice) of double dips.
It's the YEAR of the double dip. Look at all the stuff coming out this summer, and now we're getting news on the fall re-releases like TKAM, The Sting, and The Deer Hunter. I know every year has its share, but this year in particular seems full of them. I think maybe it's because after last year's releases of Star Wars and Schindler's List, there just isn't much left to release for the first time that will sell a lot of copies. I know there are many titles that aren't out yet like The Monster Squad and Howard the Duck, and a lot of TV is still in limbo, but by and large almost every movie that appeals to a lot of people is out. So, they have to produce new versions now more than ever to keep people buying.
Old 06-09-05, 05:52 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 216 Likes on 155 Posts
Held out for an AVP SE, so I'll probably get that.
Old 06-09-05, 05:55 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

The Interpreter
Star Wars III
To Kill A Mockingbird &
Kingdom Of Heaven

Are all on my list. I have the R3 AVP SE so thanks FOX but, no thanks.
Old 06-09-05, 06:17 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 216 Likes on 155 Posts
A little concerned about the "possibility" of KOH Extended SE in 2006. I hope the film's lackluster U.S. performance hasn't put that in jeopardy. Hopefully by the time the initial DVD is out we'll know more...
Old 06-09-05, 07:59 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by Artman
A little concerned about the "possibility" of KOH Extended SE in 2006. I hope the film's lackluster U.S. performance hasn't put that in jeopardy. Hopefully by the time the initial DVD is out we'll know more...
Well, for those who follow movie news may have heard about the extended version on a future DVD, so [they] probably didn't bother to go see a shortened cut and pay regular movie prices for it.
Old 06-09-05, 08:01 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by JustInsane
Glad to finally see Space might be coming out
Yep, that's the one I'm most looking forward to. With Earth 2 coming out in July, getting S:AAB finally will complete my late '90s favorite sci-fi shows.
Old 06-09-05, 08:07 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by Mike Lowrey
Well, for those who follow movie news may have heard about the extended version on a future DVD, so [they] probably didn't bother to go see a shortened cut and pay regular movie prices for it.
...which is why we may potentially not see an extended cut. It's a vicious circle.
Old 06-09-05, 08:27 PM
DVD Talk Legend

I'll pick up The Interpreter
Old 06-09-05, 08:35 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I'll be getting...
Star Wars III
Fever Pitch
Alien vs Predator

Tho depending on what the Saga Collection is(New special features etc.),I'm a Star Wars whore so I'll pick it up,but it could also just be the trilogy box set,and regular prequel dvds packaged together.....

I want Office Space:SE too,but That has been on my radar for what 3 YEARS?!
Hopefully it's true,but....
Old 06-09-05, 08:38 PM
Banned

If the prequel trilogy box set includes a new transfer of Ep. I and a CG Yoda, I'll probably get the set.
Old 06-09-05, 08:45 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by Skoobooz
...which is why we may potentially not see an extended cut. It's a vicious circle.
Well, that's a possibility, but in this day of double-dips, with such movies that aren't even considered that good like AvP, I think Ridley would do anything to get his definitive version out.
Old 06-09-05, 08:47 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I saw kindom of heaven in the theater. I liked it so i will probably be buying it. I think the regular theatrical cut would be good enough for me.
Old 06-10-05, 01:39 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Still waiting on announcement of the new Batman DVDs. Any day now..
Old 06-10-05, 01:40 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by PopcornTreeCt
agreed...
Old 06-10-05, 08:12 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Those are the big announcements I'm waiting for.
Old 06-10-05, 08:39 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Yes!
Old 06-10-05, 11:26 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Some good news, but I don't understand why they didn't put out the SE of AVP right away. I saw so many copies of the original release returned/end up in the used bin it was unreal. I am sure there are fans of the movie, every movie finds an audience, but this one had such a huge potential audience that was ultimately turned off by the final product.
Old 06-10-05, 01:31 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Also holding out for AVP SE.
Old 06-10-05, 02:14 PM
Cool New Member

Space: Above & Beyond

So glad they're going to release this on DVD. It was an awesome show when it was on. I used to have to work Sunday nights when it was on originally. I caught it on VHS, and when they re-aired it on Sci-Fi.

I've been hearing 11/8 for Star Wars Ep. 3. Also been hearing a disturbing rumor that Lucas is already re-editing Ep. 1 and 2.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.