Search
DVD Talk Talk about DVDs and Movies on DVD including Covers and Cases

Some big Rumor Mill details at the Bits

Search this Thread

Old 06-10-05, 02:23 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by gar0u
So glad they're going to release this on DVD. It was an awesome show when it was on. I used to have to work Sunday nights when it was on originally. I caught it on VHS, and when they re-aired it on Sci-Fi.

I've been hearing 11/8 for Star Wars Ep. 3. Also been hearing a disturbing rumor that Lucas is already re-editing Ep. 1 and 2.
11/1 now for SW.
Old 06-10-05, 03:21 PM
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I've been hearing 11/8 for Star Wars Ep. 3. Also been hearing a disturbing rumor that Lucas is already re-editing Ep. 1 and 2.
I don't find that disturbing at all. If it means a CGI Yoda instead of the really bad puppet in Episode I, then I'll gladly rebuy the PT this fall.
Old 06-10-05, 10:53 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Also been hearing a disturbing rumor that Lucas is already re-editing Ep. 1 and 2.
Is there a source for this?
Old 06-11-05, 03:03 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Even IF Lucas is re-editing Episodes 1&2, WHO THE F CARES??? Why is he the ONLY director who is apparently forbidden by the fans to do director's cuts? Anybody else does a director's cut of a movie, and the fans eat it up, even if the original cut is not on DVD. Yet Lucas changes one thing about any of his movies, and his fans start to piss themselves. If he makes ANY changes to the first two episodes, shut the hell up and just wait to see what product he offers and if you don't like it, don't buy it and shut the hell up, because this time around, YOU DO have the THEATRICAL CUTS on DVD.

That may be premature, as it seems nobody has been able to provide a source for this rumor, but it's just a tad tiring to read when fans criticize the man on every level, including on how he takes a crap.
Old 06-11-05, 03:11 AM

Anything he does to Episode 1 can only be an improvment! LOL!
No, he could start by replacing Jack Loyd ( Anakin ) with a different actor. You could properly do this with a computer. And trim down Jar jar of course, but for me Anakin in that film has always been the worst!
Put a little more Darth Maul in please...
Old 06-11-05, 03:22 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Location: City of the lakers.. riots.. and drug dealing cops.. los(t) Angel(e)s. ca.
A lot less darth maul would be an improvment. The point of the prequels is to not overshadow the ultimate badass.. Vader.

The only thing that I can think of in far need of improvement is the puppet yoda. get rid of it and put cgi. it will help a great deal.
Old 06-11-05, 09:46 AM
Banned

I would love to see the deleted scene where Anakin is fighting Greedo put back in the movie. Great scene! Also, as stated by everyone, Please CGI Yoda
Old 06-11-05, 01:17 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 218 Likes on 156 Posts
Originally Posted by calhoun07
YOU DO have the THEATRICAL CUTS on DVD.
Well...technically no... there were minor alterations to both for their DVD release.
Old 06-11-05, 05:31 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 309 Likes on 231 Posts
I would actually prefer a puppet Yoda that resembles the one we saw in Empire and Return. The CGI Yoda we saw in Episodes 2 and 3 just looks really bad. It is hard to look at a CGI character such as Yoda and have the same feeling that I did when I was a kid and saw him in the original trilogy. I also feel that what makes the new trilogy not as good as the original is the overuse of CGI and using green screen sets instead of actual set pieces. The abundance of ships flying around and the attempt at making everything look "really cool and detailed" I think actually brings this series down. They should have kept everything on the same level with the trilogy and it would have been a very coherent 6 part story. Flame on if you want but this is my opinion. And I did enjoy the prequels quite a bit, but they just dont have the magic that the first three movies did and still do.
Old 06-11-05, 05:56 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by dsa_shea
I would actually prefer a puppet Yoda that resembles the one we saw in Empire and Return. The CGI Yoda we saw in Episodes 2 and 3 just looks really bad. It is hard to look at a CGI character such as Yoda and have the same feeling that I did when I was a kid and saw him in the original trilogy. I also feel that what makes the new trilogy not as good as the original is the overuse of CGI and using green screen sets instead of actual set pieces. The abundance of ships flying around and the attempt at making everything look "really cool and detailed" I think actually brings this series down. They should have kept everything on the same level with the trilogy and it would have been a very coherent 6 part story. Flame on if you want but this is my opinion. And I did enjoy the prequels quite a bit, but they just dont have the magic that the first three movies did and still do.
Well, you do have a point. Before Episode I came out back in '99 I had hoped that Lucas would attempt to maintain at least a similar level of tech and visual style from the OT, and so when the movie was a stage for what all they could now do with CG, then I was left a little disappointed. That and the fact that the stormtroopers were replaced with battle droids. Just didn't feel like Star Wars at the time. However with the completion of the PT, and the evolution of the clone troopers to near stormtroopers, then I think, with time, the PT will become just as cherished if not more, than the OT.

Remember, the fans had 16 years without a new Star Wars movie to mull over the "greatness" of the OT, while we're just now finishing up the PT. People just haven't had enough time to fully digest the PT. I also think the difference in merchandise tie-ins have affected the PT. With the OT, everybody was familar with all the characters and their different uniforms and such. With the OT, most people don't even know all the characters. Especially with all those different Jedi we learned about.
Old 06-11-05, 06:24 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Hopefully we'll learn about more of the jedi, and in more depth, once Lucas's tv projects start up.
Old 06-11-05, 06:59 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

I am dying to see the Kingdom of Heaven extended cut, so I really hope that is still in the works. I thought the movie was excellent but felt a little underdeveloped. I'll still by the theatrical but I've been anxiously awaiting the extended version.

MATT
Old 06-12-05, 09:17 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 262 Likes on 184 Posts
Even IF Lucas is re-editing Episodes 1&2, WHO THE F CARES??? Why is he the ONLY director who is apparently forbidden by the fans to do director's cuts?
If Lucas' Director's Cuts were actually any better than the theatrical cuts, fans might be willing to cut him some slack. Unfortunately, he has a history of making his movies worse and worse with every revision.
Old 06-12-05, 09:57 AM
DVD Talk God

Received 14 Likes on 8 Posts
there will NEVER be a definitive set
we know lucas will continue to tweak/add/rerelease for the rest of his life

next year, we will all be waiting on the new edited HD DVD release
Old 06-12-05, 10:01 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 239 Likes on 175 Posts
Office Space Special Edition
Old 06-12-05, 10:41 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by Josh Z
If Lucas' Director's Cuts were actually any better than the theatrical cuts, fans might be willing to cut him some slack. Unfortunately, he has a history of making his movies worse and worse with every revision.
Oh com'on Josh...that's just a matter of opinion. I happen to like the '04 renditions of the OT, sans some of the light saber mistakes.
Old 06-12-05, 08:55 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Me too, for the most part.
Old 06-12-05, 11:20 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by Mike Lowrey

Oh com'on Josh...that's just a matter of opinion. I happen to like the '04 renditions of the OT, sans some of the light saber mistakes.
So do I, except for one thing. No, not Greedo shooting first. No, not Hayden appearing at the end of ROTJ. I'm actually more-or-less okay with all the changes but one: that loudmouthed creature who screams at the camera during the new song-and-dance number in Jabba's palace. He is the single most annoying character in all the movies, OT or PT.

--THX
Old 06-12-05, 11:23 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by CertifiedTHX
So do I, except for one thing. No, not Greedo shooting first. No, not Hayden appearing at the end of ROTJ. I'm actually more-or-less okay with all the changes but one: that loudmouthed creature who screams at the camera during the new song-and-dance number in Jabba's palace. He is the single most annoying character in all the movies, OT or PT.

--THX

Yeah, that dude is a bit annoying, but he was there in the '97 SEs. Although I like the musical number in general, especially with what's going on behind the scenes with Boba Fett and the back-up singer girls, I miss the transition to the musical number of Max Rebo's band from the original cut.
Old 06-24-05, 05:44 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

From Davis DVD:

"Looks like we finally may have the first official word about this Fall's release of Star Wars: Episode III - Revenge of the Sith. The Italian arm of 20th Century Fox Home Entertainment has announced the DVD for a worldwide release of November 2nd (which would translate as November 1st for the U.S.). According to an online retailer, extras on the two-disc set will include an audio commentary track, a full-length documentary, exclusive featurettes, web documentaries, five fully-produced deleted scenes, a photo gallery, "Battle of the Heroes" music video, teaser and launch trailers, twelve TV spots, a video game trailer, "Star Wars Battlefront II" game demo and DVD-ROM links. As with the previous installments, the film itself will be available in separate anamorphic widescreen and fullscreen editions, each with Dolby Digital 5.1 EX tracks. Thanks to Anrdrea Alfonso."
Old 06-24-05, 07:03 PM

...but it's just a tad tiring to read when fans criticize the man on every level, including on how he takes a crap.
I believe he refers to it as "making Episodes 1 and 2."
Old 06-24-05, 07:04 PM
DVD Talk Legend & 2019 TOTY Winner

Received 160 Likes on 122 Posts
Originally Posted by Skoobooz
From Davis DVD:

"Looks like we finally may have the first official word about this Fall's release of Star Wars: Episode III - Revenge of the Sith. The Italian arm of 20th Century Fox Home Entertainment has announced the DVD for a worldwide release of November 2nd (which would translate as November 1st for the U.S.). According to an online retailer, extras on the two-disc set will include an audio commentary track, a full-length documentary, exclusive featurettes, web documentaries, five fully-produced deleted scenes, a photo gallery, "Battle of the Heroes" music video, teaser and launch trailers, twelve TV spots, a video game trailer, "Star Wars Battlefront II" game demo and DVD-ROM links. As with the previous installments, the film itself will be available in separate anamorphic widescreen and fullscreen editions, each with Dolby Digital 5.1 EX tracks. Thanks to Anrdrea Alfonso."
I don't see Edge Enchancement listed as a feature
Old 06-24-05, 08:44 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by Canadian Bacon
I don't see Edge Enchancement listed as a feature
Shouldn't be a problem as wasn't ROTS filmed in an even higher resolution than AOTC?
Old 06-24-05, 09:22 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1,429 Likes on 1,043 Posts
Originally Posted by Mike Lowrey
Shouldn't be a problem as wasn't ROTS filmed in an even higher resolution than AOTC?
Like that would stop them from cranking the edge enhancement knob if they thought it would make the picture prettier? Besides AOTC reviewed very well in that category, so I think they figured out what happend with TPM. They claimed of course no edge enhancement was applied to the TPM disc, but they didn't know what happened. They obviously found it before AOTC came out, but are probably too embarrassed to admit it publicly.

I just thought of something else: the fullscreen DVD of TPM came out about the same time as AOTC right? Did anyone ever give that a rental just to see if the fixed the transfer?
Old 06-24-05, 10:05 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts
Originally Posted by milo bloom
Besides AOTC reviewed very well in that category, so I think they figured out what happend with TPM.
Right, and the discs of Episodes 4,5, and 6 had even less EE according to this site's review.

Anyway, the specs for this disc sound very similar to the discs for the first two prequels, which is of course a good thing. I assume the Battlefront demo is for Xbox, since that's what it was for on the "OT" set.