Community
Search
DVD Talk Talk about DVDs and Movies on DVD including Covers and Cases

The Choppy Blade:Trinity DVD

Search this Thread

Old 04-28-05, 02:59 PM
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I have a Pioneer DV-434, it's actually a pretty crappy player according to some benchmarks, but I watched the Un-Rated version and the only hick-up was the layer change that happened in an odd frame between scene transitions.

Haven't tried the theatrical cut yet.

But it seems like the issue here is that the extended cut is a continuous transfer, while the theatrical cut uses the branching by having to skip scenes that are in the extended cut. Usually in seemless branching, the theatrical cut is the continuous transfer, while the extended and cut scenes are the ones that require skipping to.

I guess New Line kinda assumed what I asked earlier. That if you bring yourself to choose and buy the extended un-rated version of the disc, that the customer would be less likely to want to view just the theatrical cut.

I see people are mentioning the Chronicles of Riddick Unrated version. That was a different situation. That was not a case of seemless branching at all. It was a case where there new "un-rated" scenes didn't quite match up with the theatrical footage in terms of continuity. They were close, but not quite. ie. there weren't exact frame matches from the theatrical cut to the extended footage. In fact, weren't some scenes even totally different from one cut to another? So attempting to compare the CoR-UR cut to this Blade Trinity-UR cut is not a good comparison.
Old 04-28-05, 05:15 PM

Originally Posted by Al Padrino
I think I've responded to one other post from you besides this. Don't flatter yourself into thinking I'm following you around. Yeah, your spelling and lack of understanding of basic grammar is really something to behold, but it's not so marvelous that I'm going to follow you around. I would've said what I said to anyone else if they had come in here and posted what you did. You had zero to offer to the discussion and don't act like you weren't treadcrapping. Your response was completely sarcastic. Now let the thread get back on topic, unless you'd like to suggest that everyone who's unhappy with their Blade DVD go back to the store and throw it down in the aisle since you've suggested before that's one thing to do to DVDs.
Really!? Because it seems you can't even spell what you were occusing me off... oh and i wasn't being sarcastic, anyway i didn't see you contributing to the thread to begin with... the sticky states that offenders will be dealt with, and should be avoided?... yet you persist... care to explain, or is that too much of deal to answer without including the fact that i "throw dvd's" because that seems to be the only thing you have on me, oh and grammar, glad you expose that constantly.
Old 04-28-05, 05:20 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by Chris777
Really!? Because it seems you can't even spell what you were occusing me off... oh and i wasn't being sarcastic, anyway i didn't see you contributing to the thread to begin with... the sticky states that offenders will be dealt with, and should be avoided?... yet you persist... care to explain, or is that too much of deal to answer without including the fact that i "throw dvd's" because that seems to be the only thing you have on me, oh and grammar, glad you expose that constantly.
Here's $.02 worth of free advice... the letter 'i' when referring to yourself is CAPITALIZED. Just thought you'd like to know.

Old 04-28-05, 05:28 PM

Originally Posted by Mike Lowrey
Here's $.02 worth of free advice... the letter 'i' when referring to yourself is CAPITALIZED. Just thought you'd like to know.

I already have a reputation for bad spelling and bad grammar as al padrino loves to point out, no need to deny it , but himself doesn't have to right to accuse, if you "makes" such mistakes.
Old 04-29-05, 05:38 PM
Inane Thread Master, 2018 TOTY

Received 904 Likes on 765 Posts
i didn't have any hiccups, but this was a bad, bad movie! no redeeming qualities whatsoever. big disappointment. hope the extras are ok.

Last edited by OldBoy; 05-01-05 at 06:21 AM.
Old 04-29-05, 06:12 PM

I love the way studios say UNRATED CUT and people (me included) rush to buy these things thinking there will be extra gore, sex, violence, etc.

Instead, we usually get a couple of extra "character development" moments, extended scenes (which drag on too long), and alternate endings (which are alternate for a reason).

All "UNRATED" means is that the new cut wasn't submitted to the MPAA. So literally, it is unrated. I wish they would just say "Extended Cut", "Director's Cut", or even "We Want You to Think its Better 'Cuz its Longer Cut". Save "Unrated" for those few movies that actually add the good stuff back in.
Old 04-29-05, 07:19 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by masetodd
I love the way studios say UNRATED CUT and people (me included) rush to buy these things thinking there will be extra gore, sex, violence, etc.

Instead, we usually get a couple of extra "character development" moments, extended scenes (which drag on too long), and alternate endings (which are alternate for a reason).

All "UNRATED" means is that the new cut wasn't submitted to the MPAA. So literally, it is unrated. I wish they would just say "Extended Cut", "Director's Cut", or even "We Want You to Think its Better 'Cuz its Longer Cut". Save "Unrated" for those few movies that actually add the good stuff back in.
Well, then they *would* be rated...NC-17, or as the late night skin flicks go, NR/AO.
Old 04-29-05, 09:07 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 289 Likes on 214 Posts
Originally Posted by scott1598
i didn't have any hiccups, but this was a bad, bad movie! no redeeming qualitities whatsoever. big disappointment. hope the extras are ok.
Yeah, I stopped the film around an hour into the movie. Whistler's daughter I could live with but not the super-cool dude with her. And Parker Posey was just pathetic and I have no idea why she was chosen. Whistler's daughter should have been Danica, and the whole daughter thing should have been scrapped.
Old 04-29-05, 09:12 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
My Zenith DVB318 choked in at least 6 places. Never had a problem with several hundred other dvds... Glad I didn't buy this turd.
Old 04-29-05, 10:03 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer

Received 16 Likes on 13 Posts
Mine worked great, I had no problems with the unrated cut. I watched a few scenes of theatrical and there were no problems handling the different ending, etc. As for the alternate ending, I don't like it as much because I thought the theatrical ending was cooler and
Spoiler:
now Drake's "last request" doesn't make any sense. In the theatrical, his last request was the body switch, but in extended what was it? Was his request for Blade to feed? Who knows...
Besides that, I really didn't notice much difference, does anybody know for sure what was cut, added, or changed?

Last edited by Willh51; 04-29-05 at 10:24 PM.
Old 04-30-05, 11:02 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by Easy
My Zenith DVB318 choked in at least 6 places. Never had a problem with several hundred other dvds... Glad I didn't buy this turd.

How do you know your Zenith choked on the disc if you didn't buy it? Did you rent it?
Old 04-30-05, 11:42 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by Mike Lowrey

How do you know your Zenith choked on the disc if you didn't buy it? Did you rent it?
Yes. I used to buy exclusively when I could sell and break even (or take only a small loss) but the used dvd market turned to crap when "asian imports" began to dominate ebay and half. Now I only buy what I'm absolutely certain I want to keep.
Old 05-01-05, 08:21 AM

I watched the rated version on my computer last night. Didnt have any problems watching it although when I tried to scroll to another scene it lagged and then froze.

Here's the deal though. The rated version is horrible. It is way too fast paced. Its annoying. Watch the unrated and you'll get a much, much better movie.
Old 05-01-05, 09:28 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I watched the unrated and it played fine. I liked the movie as well. Aside from maybe...greed, why did New Line release the Rated version by itself when both versions are on the Unrated? I hope it wasn't done to please the pan & scan crowd.
Old 05-01-05, 10:42 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 21 Likes on 18 Posts
Originally Posted by Mr. Cinema
I watched the unrated and it played fine. I liked the movie as well. Aside from maybe...greed, why did New Line release the Rated version by itself when both versions are on the Unrated? I hope it wasn't done to please the pan & scan crowd.
is this the same case as Meet the Fockers? I hope they dont start making all unreated/extended editions like this. I think they should put the theatrical on one side, and extended/unrated on the other...or maybe even on 2 separate discs
Old 05-02-05, 12:26 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I had no choppyness of layer change problems on my copy.

Guess I was lucky?
Old 05-02-05, 09:32 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 14 Likes on 10 Posts
Does anybody know if there is a script for Blade Trinity online anywhere?
Old 05-02-05, 10:13 AM

I never noticed any problems with the unrated copy I rented (other than it sucking donkey b@ll$). My DVD player is a Denon DVD-2900. I didn't spin it on my Zenith 318. I only use it for non region 1 & video based stuff.
Old 05-02-05, 10:58 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by Stu 17
Here's the deal though. The rated version is horrible. It is way too fast paced. Its annoying. Watch the unrated and you'll get a much, much better movie.
Yeah, it's not nearly as bad as most say. Oh, it's definately different in tone than the other two, but it's still a fairly entertaining flick. The final battle scene in the vampire's lair is about as good as the final Blade II fight.
Old 05-02-05, 12:30 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by JZ1276
is this the same case as Meet the Fockers? I hope they dont start making all unreated/extended editions like this. I think they should put the theatrical on one side, and extended/unrated on the other...or maybe even on 2 separate discs
Geez, we've been asking for seamless branching for years, they finally start doing it, and now those with cheap players are calling for an end? Why not call for your mfgrs to make decent players, instead?