Search
DVD Talk Talk about DVDs and Movies on DVD including Covers and Cases

ROBOCOP--Best version (all regions)??

Search this Thread

Old 04-24-05, 05:36 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
ROBOCOP--Best version (all regions)??

Hi,

Robocop is one of my all-time favorite films and I still don't have it on DVD. I know there are DVD comparisons out there (DVDBeaver), and this has probably been discussed here before, but I'd like to get some fresh opinions from y'all. What do you consider to be the best version of Robocop on DVD? Criterion? The MGM boxset? Region 2? I live in Region 2, so is the MGM UK edition, or the German edition, worth getting? Another region? Thanks for your input.

(EDIT: I'd REALLY rather not have the boxset, so I'm considering the stand-alone from other regions. I just don't want Robo 3 anywhere near me. )

Last edited by Egon's Ghost; 04-24-05 at 05:46 AM.
Old 04-24-05, 05:40 AM

Criterion for Commentary, MGM boxset for Picture, both have the unrated footage so i'm gonna have to say yes for the MGM boxset version.
Old 04-24-05, 07:06 AM
DVD Talk Reviewer

The Criterion release is non-anamorphic but it is in the director's preferred aspect ratio of 1.66:1. The version included in the MGM box set is anamorphic, but the picture has been cropped slightly, I believe. Neither version has a very impressive picture, especially compared to something like Verhoeven's Starship Troopers (which had a bigger budget), but I'd give the MGM disc a slight edge. I haven't bothered to watch RoboCop 2 or RoboCop 3, but I just think of those as extras. The MGM set was cheap enough that I didn't mind that they were included.

Now that Sony has purchased MGM, I wonder if another release is on the horizon. If Sony rereleases this title, it'll almost certainly be more expensive.
Old 04-24-05, 07:29 AM

The Criterion release is non-anamorphic but it is in the director's preferred aspect ratio of 1.66:1. The version included in the MGM box set is anamorphic, but the picture has been cropped slightly, I believe. Neither version has a very impressive picture, especially compared to something like Verhoeven's Starship Troopers (which had a bigger budget), but I'd give the MGM disc a slight edge. I haven't bothered to watch RoboCop 2 or RoboCop 3, but I just think of those as extras. The MGM set was cheap enough that I didn't mind that they were included.

Now that Sony has purchased MGM, I wonder if another release is on the horizon. If Sony rereleases this title, it'll almost certainly be more expensive.
Sigh. Thanks for the feedback. I'm starting to think I'll just wait it out. I've seen the R2 MGM disc; the special features were OK, but the branching of the DC was anything but seamless, and with a cut in video quality. I'm guessing this is exactly the same as the R1 boxed set disc. Perhaps it's good MGM has been bought up, but it remains to be seen what it'll mean for their home video catalog......Is the Criterion worth $30?
Old 04-24-05, 07:45 AM
DVD Talk Reviewer

Actually, the R1 MGM disc in the box set doesn't have any branching (seamless or otherwise), so there's nothing to worry about there. The unrated director's cut is all that's on the disc. It was released quite a while after the R2 disc, too, so maybe there is an improvement in picture quality (I haven't seen the R2 disc).

I don't think the Criterion is worth $30 unless you must have the commentary or you're a collector of Criterions.
Old 04-24-05, 08:49 AM

Actually, the R1 MGM disc in the box set doesn't have any branching (seamless or otherwise), so there's nothing to worry about there. The unrated director's cut is all that's on the disc. It was released quite a while after the R2 disc, too, so maybe there is an improvement in picture quality (I haven't seen the R2 disc).
Hmmmm, good point. The R2 disc is older. I liked Robo 2 at the time (the robot kicked ass, Tom Noonan as Cain, ridiculously vicious violence, etc), so maybe the boxset is a winner. Anyone else?
Old 04-24-05, 09:33 AM
Banned

If you can, get the R1 Trilogy boxset. Picture and sound is very nice, Unrated cut, and great extras, oh and you get one decent flick and one so bad it's funny.
Old 04-24-05, 10:25 AM

I suppose one big advantage of the Criterion is the aspect ratio, 1:66, which Verhoeven filmed it in. But that wasn't was projected in US cinemas anyway. I think the R1 boxset is coming out ahead.
Old 06-16-06, 09:19 AM
Banned

I'm confused. I got the first disc from DDD today and there are no extras. What's up with that??? Is the special edition only available in the boxed set?
Old 06-16-06, 09:21 AM

Originally Posted by digitalfreaknyc
I'm confused. I got the first disc from DDD today and there are no extras. What's up with that??? Is the special edition only available in the boxed set?
Correct.

The single disc is also not the uncut version.
Old 06-16-06, 09:28 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Yeah, the only way to get the Uncut version in anamorphic R1 is through the MGM Boxset. I believe the R2 and R4 versions came out at the same time (roughly 2 years before the R1 boxset) and they had both the R-rated cut and Unrated cut available through branching. Yes, the branching was very obvious and distracted from the flow of the film. Horrible. I bought the MGM boxset for $19.99 at Fry's.

BTW, I prefer the commentary on the MGM disc to the Criterion one. Criterion's was rather bland. I particularly remember trying to keep from falling asleep when they went into the history of auto industry in Detroit.

Last edited by dullboy; 06-16-06 at 09:30 AM.
Old 06-16-06, 09:28 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by MikeDeN2K
Correct.

The single disc is also not the uncut version.
Shit. Looks like I'm placing another order and returning this one.
Old 06-16-06, 09:38 AM
Banned

Looks like I'm selling my Criterion, too.
Old 06-16-06, 09:46 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I'm surprised Sony hasn't released part 1 by itself under their unrated extended line like they have on so many of their other catalog titles.
Old 06-16-06, 10:09 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Verhoeven's commentary on the Criterion is not boring! Whats wrong with you people. I just have the Criterion, I'm happy with it.
Old 06-16-06, 10:16 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Also note that the color timing between the two editions is completely different... with most people preferring the Criterion's 'grey' look. And, since Verhoeven supervised that transfer (way back for LD), I assume that he prefers that look too.

So, it's a no-win situation. Criterion has the correct aspect ratio, director's commentary, and more appropriate colors... but is non-anamorphic and not as sharp as the new transfer. MGM has sharper picture and additional extras, but has compromised color and aspect ratio.

I'm sure there are screenshots somewhere (DVDBeaver?)
Old 06-16-06, 10:24 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Right here, bboisvert: http://www.dvdbeaver.com/film/DVDCompare3/robocop.htm
Old 06-16-06, 10:30 AM
Banned

Why not wait for Blue-Ray Robocop?
Old 06-16-06, 10:43 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by DVDFreaker
Sigh. Because the OP probably doesn't want to wait the two years it'll take for the price to come down on the hardware. God knows that the PS3 and the stand-alone players aren't affordable (for most) yet.

I'm happy with the Criterion version of Robocop that I have, but I've never seen the MGM SE. I imagine it's a situation similar to The Silence of the Lambs, where, for a big enough fan, it would be worth the money for the Criterion and the MGM SE.

cheers,

-the Jesus
Old 06-16-06, 10:44 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 230 Likes on 158 Posts
Originally Posted by DVDFreaker

Because you'll first need to drop 1k on player to watch it.

I'm content with my R3 DVD.
Old 06-16-06, 11:51 AM
Fok
DVD Talk Limited Edition

The box set isn't too expensive, I'd say buy that and sell the others you don't want.
Old 06-16-06, 01:52 PM
Suspended

I like the Region 3- i think it's superior like the r3 release of army of darkness.

http://forum.dvdtalk.com/showthread.php?t=300662
Old 06-16-06, 02:00 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by Fok
The box set isn't too expensive, I'd say buy that and sell the others you don't want.
Unfortunately, they aren't individually packaged, so you can't realistically break up the set. That being said, the whole box is like $20-something at DDD right now via the sale. And it really isn't much thicker than a standard keepcase. Maybe 1.5 keepcases in width.

I say just grab the set and ignore the other 2 films if you wish. I take the 2nd one out for a spin every now and then (even though it pales next to the first). I'm not sure I've even watched the 3rd one since I bought my DVD player 7 years ago.
Old 06-16-06, 02:02 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

$25 is worth the first movie and the cool, cool packaging on the box set, alone... like bboisvert, I pull out the 2nd movie for a play once a while, but the 3rd movie, well, jeesh.
Old 06-16-06, 03:46 PM
Banned

just picked up the boxed set. had the R3 version but since i'm not region-free any more, had to get rid of it.

if anyone wants it, lemme know

I actually really liked 2. It's sick. I've never watched the 3rd.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.