Search
DVD Talk Talk about DVDs and Movies on DVD including Covers and Cases

Blade Trinity Canada R1 question

Search this Thread

Old 04-23-05, 07:53 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Blade Trinity Canada R1 question

Anyone managed to pick up the Canadian Unrated Version yet or seen it in stores? Would just like to check that the DTS-ES track hasn't been dropped in favour of French DD 5.1. Thanks
Old 04-23-05, 08:07 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Off topic, but the subject reminded me of it since it's related to canadian discs. Is there a website with cover scans of the canadian discs so we can tell how much bilingual crap is covering it?
Old 04-23-05, 09:09 AM

Videomatica.com sometimes has front and back cover scans in "advance" (maybe a day or two before release, which doesn't really help); if you're lucky, thecnl.com might have some as well. Every now and then Amazon.ca has the front cover image available on some bilingual covers...

I H-A-T-E Alliance Atlantis (distributors in Canada of New Line, Miramax, Universal and probably others). One of their many, many, many, many, many problems is that they treat their DVD releases like state secrets. You will never see a cover image or read the full disc specs at the consumer level. If you're friendly with a video store employee, they may let you look at their ordering catalogue, which usually is actually pretty good at showing which ugly bilingual covers to avoid.

Remember when 'The Punisher' came out last year? Alliance didn't put the advertised free comic book inside. A small sh*t storm ensued, with Alliance finally wimping out of the argument by saying, well, we never said we WOULD include it, did we? The point is, they never said they WOULDN'T either. Their website doesn't list their DVD releases at all. Very lame, which also accurately describes their company from top to bottom.

I could go on and on about how terrible they are, how clueless they are, and how they have about as much business acumen as a pail of sand...but I won't.
Old 04-23-05, 09:09 AM
Cool New Member

Originally Posted by Fincher Fan
Is there a website with cover scans of the canadian discs so we can tell how much bilingual crap is covering it?
Well, dvdsoon.com is usually pretty good for showing if there is french on the cover. In the information section for the disc, they usually put (bilingual) beside the description for type of packaging if its bilingual, and they have a cover scan to show you what french is on the front cover. There is no way to tell if there is french on the spine though, which is what really matters to me.

Dvdsoon is showing Blade Trinity as DD 5.1 English and French, but no DTS. The cover scan doesn't show any French, but its listed as being bilingual, so some of that information might not be correct. I figured this disc might be screwed up, so I preordered the US version a couple months ago.
Old 04-23-05, 09:13 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

DVDSoon's specs are totally unreliable, which is why I thought to ask here. Anyone?
Old 04-23-05, 09:25 AM
Cool New Member

Did you check out Videomatica.com? They have a scan of the front and back cover there. The cover has "Extreme Version" written on it instead of "Unrated Version". It appears that something is written in French below Extreme Version, but I can't make it out. Anway, the back shows English DD 5.1 and DTS 6.1 ES, and French 2.0.
Old 04-23-05, 09:35 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally Posted by Toxic Handshake
Did you check out Videomatica.com? They have a scan of the front and back cover there. The cover has "Extreme Version" written on it instead of "Unrated Version". It appears that something is written in French below Extreme Version, but I can't make it out. Anway, the back shows English DD 5.1 and DTS 6.1 ES, and French 2.0.
Brilliant, thank you!
Old 04-24-05, 10:31 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Thanks for the info guys!