Reload this Page >

R.I.P. Backlog

DVD Talk Talk about DVDs and Movies on DVD including Covers and Cases

R.I.P. Backlog

Old 04-19-05, 11:38 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
R.I.P. Backlog

Okay, I know there have been a few discussions about backlogs over the years, but I just had to pipe in while it can honestly be said: I no longer have a backlog.

I had around 100 unwatched titles right before Christmas and have been chipping away at it while adding new titles on a regular basis. Just finished Lost in Translation and with that, I've watched everything. Time to go back, rewatch some DVDs and in some cases, give those extras a better look at.

Of course, thanks to various sales, I'll have around 20 titles in my new backlog within the next week or so. Still, it feels good to be caught up for the first time since 2001, even if only for a brief clip. How's everyone's backlogs coming along?
Old 04-19-05, 11:49 PM

Al, I am sad to say this, but my backlog is larger than ever. I need to quit checking the bargains forum and watch more movies I guess. There have been too many good deals lately and I have recently taken up the join, fulfill, quit mantra for columbia house. I may be moving to Erie, Pa. this fall and won't be able to afford cable tv. or modem so at least then I can catch up on them.
Old 04-19-05, 11:51 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 911 Likes on 646 Posts
I maintain a backlog of about 15-20 titles. That doesn't include TV sets which I chip away at daily.
Old 04-19-05, 11:51 PM
Video Gamer Reviewers

Too many to count and most are TV on DVD boxsets.
Old 04-19-05, 11:52 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I got about 25-30 DVDs left in my backlog, unfortunately.

It's getting towards finals, to, so I don't think I'll be erasing it anytime soon. I might be able to make some progress during finals week or senior week, but I'll see. MVP 2005 is taking up most of my time.
Old 04-19-05, 11:54 PM
Banned

The only back-logged unwatched titles I have are a couple TV show sets. I generally try to watch all my movies immediately. Oh, there are a few movies I have that I haven't watched, but those are long 6-hour mini-series types. A couple being some Lonesome Dove sequels.
Old 04-19-05, 11:59 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

TV sets can be overwhelming for an already large backlog. I do find, however, that once you dive into them, they really are a breeze to get through. I went through two seasons of Curb Your Enthusiasm in less than a week.
Old 04-20-05, 12:04 AM

I thought I was the only one who counted the DVD they haven't watched yet. Since there are others I will share my count. My backlog is an embarassing 167.
Old 04-20-05, 12:07 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

mine is pretty large, but i hope to get caught up over the summer. I've got about 50 movies, and around 20 or so seasons
Old 04-20-05, 12:23 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

I've currently got 176 in my "unwatched" backlog. Now, some of these are films that I have seen theatrically or back on VHS, but never watched the dvd, and it's been so long that I don't really remember the film.

That being said, I have been good about not adding anything to the backlog, and since the new year, I have watched everything I've purchased within a week or getting it (two weeks for TV series).
Old 04-20-05, 01:31 AM

my slowing down of purchases has helped with taking away of the backlog. But I have around 10 titles. So not impossible thats for sure.
Old 04-20-05, 01:36 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
My backlog still consists of about 30 or so titles....have a rediculous amount of TV on DVD just sitting here unwatched though.
Old 04-20-05, 06:45 AM

Have to be honest that I've lost count... I just keep adding to the pile and some weeks get nothing watched. Too much time buying them and not enough time watching them.
I too have a lot of TV on DVD - Futurama, Cheers, etc. Recently I've made a start on the Taxi season 1 set I got at Xmas, but I've had a backlog for nearly as long as I've had a DVD player...

Dazza.
Old 04-20-05, 07:56 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Location: In a small pocket universe hoping to someday become a Moderator Emeritus at DVDTalk.com!
I've got a backlog numbering in the hundreds.
Old 04-20-05, 08:44 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 82 Likes on 70 Posts
Probably hundreds of disks, dozens of titles. Probably around 1/2 my collection, depending on how you look at it.
Most of them being tv season sets, especially recently anime.
Four series I'm trying to work my way through, totalling probably 60 hours.
Not to mention movies--I just put Star Wars: A New Hope in over the weekend, and am enjoying it again. Although it's much better with the HT on, I can't crank it up too loud when my boy is sleeping Most of the movies I've either had for a long time and just haven't been in the mood yet; or are very big time consumers [I got LotR:RotK EE for Christmas, and would like to re-watch FotR and TTT:EE before watching RotK, so that's like a whole weekend right there, and I can't afford to do that.] And trying to get my money's worth from BlockbusterOnline, both in terms of online dvd rentals, and in-store game rentals.
I don't think I've bought any dvd's since Christmas, when I did get a few and got a couple tv sets for myself; the only thing I've got on order is Rock and Rule, due out in June. That one I'll probably make time to watch on or near arrival.
Information overload, not enough time in the day
Old 04-20-05, 08:49 AM
Banned

I have no backlog.
Old 04-20-05, 12:54 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

My backlog has to be at least 200-300. I have been working hard to reduce it, but I just get more titles and the number grows again.
Old 04-20-05, 12:55 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by Al Padrino
TV sets can be overwhelming for an already large backlog. I do find, however, that once you dive into them, they really are a breeze to get through. I went through two seasons of Curb Your Enthusiasm in less than a week.
Yeah, but aren't the 'Curb' seasons real short?

Getting thru 22 or more episode seasons are a bit difficult if they don't flow well together.
Old 04-20-05, 01:29 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Yeah, they're shorter, but since they're a legit 30 minutes each, so you've still got five hours of viewing with each set.
Old 04-20-05, 01:40 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 82 Likes on 70 Posts
That's true, the typical American non-cable show is about 22-24 minutes long, [or what, 44-48] and probably 1-4 minutes of that is opening or closing credits/theme. Thank goodness for chapter stops--I think every dvd, movie or tv shows, should have a chapter stop at the end of the opening credit sequence. A lot of anime series have chapter stops for Opening sequence, Act 1, Act 2, Credits/End Sequence, Next Ep Teaser, which I like. Unless the opening song is real catchy, I just skip over the opening/closing sequence, and since I'm just about to watch the next ep, I skip the teaser.
This is sad: if the disk has subtitles, I sometimes watch in either FF or 1.2x, though 1.2x is less convenient to get to. FF is definitely noticeable, but in most cases, 1.2x is not really a noticeable difference.
Old 04-20-05, 05:48 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

I actually did that when I was pressed for time a couple weeks back while I was trying to finish up a silent movie.
Old 04-20-05, 05:56 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by Al Padrino
Yeah, they're shorter, but since they're a legit 30 minutes each, so you've still got five hours of viewing with each set.
Whoah! Stop the presses! FIVE whole hours??? Better set aside a whole week for that!

I'm joking here.
Old 04-20-05, 06:23 PM

I still remember that day back in 2000 when I realized that I would always have a backlog. Sigh. I was watching the extras on "A Bug's Life" SE, and there were just so darn many, I knew I'd never finish the set before I got more DVDs. And the DVDs kept getting more and more elaborate - "Fight Club" took, like, a week and a half. And the backlog grew, taunting me.

Of course these days, it's a wonder what being out of work can do for your backlog. I haven't had the cash to add to the pile in about a month, (fortunately there haven't been many MUST-BUY-NOW titles) so for the first time in years, I feel like I'm making headway.

But wait - what's this? On my shelf, I just unearthed (gulp!) the 4-disc "Pearl Harbor" box set!!! NOOOOOooooooooo!!!!

JiM T
Old 04-20-05, 07:17 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
sadly my backlog will never go down...it only gets bigger. But hey, I got a new job so I'm good to go
Old 04-20-05, 07:24 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I went on a buying spree last month and for the first time ever have a backlog of nine titles, plus Seinfeld season 3 that I bought in January. Normally I manage to watch movies within a week of purchase. This doesn't count my extras backlog, which is huge. Netflix DVD's & extras take precedence when they're in the house; my library fills in the gaps when there is no Netflix. As others have mentioned, it's kind of nice to have something to look forward to.

Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.