Community
Search
DVD Talk Talk about DVDs and Movies on DVD including Covers and Cases

Ridley Scott talks: Kingdom of Heaven [Director's cut]

Search this Thread

Old 04-11-05, 10:19 AM
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
^ Really, I mean the two biggest grossing pictures worldwide are well over three hours (Titanic and Return of the King).
Old 04-11-05, 03:02 PM

Audiences can handle them, but theater owners don't like them cause they have fewer shows per day, therefore less money.
Old 04-11-05, 03:06 PM

This isn't a strategy. The article clearly states that Scott prefers the theatrical release. It's his director's cut. An extended edition is just so fans can see more footage, and will probably be inferior.
Old 04-11-05, 03:32 PM

Received 97 Likes on 80 Posts
Originally Posted by PotVsKtl
This isn't a strategy. The article clearly states that Scott prefers the theatrical release. It's his director's cut. An extended edition is just so fans can see more footage, and will probably be inferior.
Hard to say...director's cuts that focus on character development (like this one, apparently) have a good track record of being superior.
Old 04-11-05, 04:08 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by Geofferson
Hard to say...director's cuts that focus on character development (like this one, apparently) have a good track record of being superior.
I'd probably throw in the Hellboy-DC into this category as well. With the, what was it? 12-13 additional minutes made a huge difference in the movie. The TC was a little bit hard to understand what was going on and who was who. The DC cleared up both.
Old 04-12-05, 01:27 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by ruk
which of scott's movies are you talking about.
Alien
Blade Runner
Legend
Old 04-12-05, 03:15 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I'm sure Scott has final cut on his movies these days so I'm kinda surprised about this. You'd think he would have it character heavy since many of his movies are. I'm kinda on the fence about this movie anyway since the trailer shows it to be way too similar (in a couple of quick shots anyway) to Gladiator, and I was expecting something new and fresh.
Old 04-13-05, 10:45 AM

Originally Posted by PotVsKtl
It is most definitely a strategy, it's called, make as much money as possible by cutting a film one way to maximize profits in theatres and another to maximize profits on home video.
Old 04-13-05, 12:17 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by fmian
I'm sure Scott has final cut on his movies these days so I'm kinda surprised about this. You'd think he would have it character heavy since many of his movies are. I'm kinda on the fence about this movie anyway since the trailer shows it to be way too similar (in a couple of quick shots anyway) to Gladiator, and I was expecting something new and fresh.
"On my signal, unleash Hell."
Old 04-26-05, 09:52 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
thanks to marty for the link

Originally Posted by marty888
OK, it hasn't even opened theatrically, but this past Sunday's NY Times had this bit of information:

" Having spent five months on location, working from a 260-page screenplay (almost twice the usual length), Sir Ridley ended up with a movie of 3 hours 40 minutes. This version will survive on DVD, but for general release he cut the film to 2 hours 22 minutes."

(complete article http://www.nytimes.com/2005/04/24/movies/24ridi.html - you need to be registered with NY Times)
Old 04-26-05, 10:06 AM

Received 17 Likes on 13 Posts
Originally Posted by William Fuld
The theatrical verison is the director's cut.
or as I like to call theatrical cuts - the "compromised Producer's/Director's Cut".

(now when's 1492: Conquest of Paradise coming out - my Japanese laserdisc "International print" version needs an upgrading).

Last edited by Giles; 04-26-05 at 10:10 AM.
Old 04-26-05, 01:00 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 135 Likes on 80 Posts
Originally Posted by Giles
or as I like to call theatrical cuts - the "compromised Producer's/Director's Cut".
Even when the director refers to the theatrical cut as "the best version"?
Old 04-26-05, 06:14 PM
Banned

Even when the director refers to the theatrical cut as "the best version"?
So the fact that Ridley Scott had to cut 78 minutes out of his original script and cut, to get it into theaters, you actually believe him that that's what he meant that the theatrical cut was the "best"?
Old 05-06-05, 03:36 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 216 Likes on 155 Posts
Interesting quote here:

"The theatrical version is the best I could possibly make it given the restraints I was working under." Those restraints included a directive from Fox studios to keep the film under 150 minutes.

I think this at least leaves room for debate as to whether he thinks this cut is superior to the extended, or is simply the best theatrical version. Seems the reviews are saying the film suffers from the missing gaps in characterization and storyline. I'll see for myself tonight.

Anyways..can't wait for the eventual DVD.
Old 05-06-05, 05:13 PM

Received 17 Likes on 13 Posts
Originally Posted by Artman
Seems the reviews are saying the film suffers from the missing gaps in characterization and storyline.
bingo! that's was my impression after seeing this film, god I can't wait for the extended cut - I so wanted to like this film, but what I saw this morning was a disappointment
Old 05-06-05, 07:30 PM

Received 135 Likes on 80 Posts
Originally Posted by Mike Lowrey
So the fact that Ridley Scott had to cut 78 minutes out of his original script and cut, to get it into theaters, you actually believe him that that's what he meant that the theatrical cut was the "best"?
After reading the quote Artman provided and now having seen the film, no.
Old 05-06-05, 07:35 PM
Banned

After reading the quote Artman provided and now having seen the film, no.
Well, that's what I'm saying as well. That because he had to cut out so much footage to satisfy the studio and theaters, the theatrical cut is NOT the best version.

And this be one of the reasons why I haven't been to the theater since LOTR:TTT. Although I may break my "boycott" to see SW:ROTS.

With Theatrical release to DVD turn-arounds at an seemingly all-time high at 3-6 months later, I usually just wait for the DVD.

Last edited by Mike Lowrey; 05-06-05 at 07:37 PM.
Old 05-06-05, 07:42 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by Giles
bingo! that's was my impression after seeing this film, god I can't wait for the extended cut - I so wanted to like this film, but what I saw this morning was a disappointment
I totally agree with this. Good, but definitely not up to my expectations (which were huge). Definitely could've benefited from being longer; it was 2.5 hours, but for some reason it seemed an hour shorter than that.
Old 05-07-05, 07:24 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

I am waiting for the extended DVD.
Old 05-07-05, 11:36 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

the theatrical cut is most certainly not Scott's preferred cut or a Director's Cut.. it's more like the "It Was The Best I Could Do Given The Circumstances"-cut.

here's from DavisDVD's Rumor Mill:
Ridley Scott's already looking at a longer cut of his Kingdom of Heaven to debut onto DVD. The theatrical version of his Crusades epic, which tells the story of the fall of Jerusalem in 1186, clocks in at 145 minutes. In a recent interview Scott stated that a more ambitious 220-minute version is in the works. "The theatrical version is the best I could possibly make it given the restraints I was working under." Those restraints included a directive from Fox studios to keep the film under 150 minutes.

When he sat down to edit the film, which opens today, Scott had his own criteria. "I think some operas, plays and even some movies are too long. With Kingdom of Heaven, I did not want anyone looking at their watches during this film. That, more than anything, was my guiding principle in trimming it for this release." Look for the theatrical edition disc set to be released later this year, and a full four-disc extended special edition on tap for 2006. Thanks to Andrea Alfonso for the scoop!
i think what Scott said in that other article was that the theatrical cut is the best he could do given the fact that he had to keep it to under 150 minutes.. so he didn't mean best version overall period, just the best version under 150 minutes. i thought the film was great, but if i had one complaint it would be that it could've needed some fleshing out in parts, supporting characters in particular. i look forward to this extended cut/DVD with great anticipation.

also, the length of the longer cut seems to be between 185 and 220 minutes depending on what article you're reading.. i've heard 185 minutes long, 195 minutes long and now 220 minutes long.

Last edited by Grizzly; 05-07-05 at 11:40 AM.
Old 05-07-05, 01:04 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by Grizzly
the theatrical cut is most certainly not Scott's preferred cut or a Director's Cut.. it's more like the "It Was The Best I Could Do Given The Circumstances"-cut.

here's from DavisDVD's Rumor Mill:
Ridley Scott's already looking at a longer cut of his Kingdom of Heaven to debut onto DVD. The theatrical version of his Crusades epic, which tells the story of the fall of Jerusalem in 1186, clocks in at 145 minutes. In a recent interview Scott stated that a more ambitious 220-minute version is in the works. "The theatrical version is the best I could possibly make it given the restraints I was working under." Those restraints included a directive from Fox studios to keep the film under 150 minutes.

When he sat down to edit the film, which opens today, Scott had his own criteria. "I think some operas, plays and even some movies are too long. With Kingdom of Heaven, I did not want anyone looking at their watches during this film. That, more than anything, was my guiding principle in trimming it for this release." Look for the theatrical edition disc set to be released later this year, and a full four-disc extended special edition on tap for 2006. Thanks to Andrea Alfonso for the scoop!
i think what Scott said in that other article was that the theatrical cut is the best he could do given the fact that he had to keep it to under 150 minutes.. so he didn't mean best version overall period, just the best version under 150 minutes. i thought the film was great, but if i had one complaint it would be that it could've needed some fleshing out in parts, supporting characters in particular. i look forward to this extended cut/DVD with great anticipation.

also, the length of the longer cut seems to be between 185 and 220 minutes depending on what article you're reading.. i've heard 185 minutes long, 195 minutes long and now 220 minutes long.
OK, well the theatrical cut is just 5 minutes shy of 2.5 hours (ie. 2:25). A 185 minute cut would be 3:10, 195 minute cut would be 3:20, and a 220 minute cut would be 3:40. We're talking LOTR: TTT - EE length here.
Old 05-08-05, 02:20 AM

I loved this movie and I seen it twice today, but I think he did the best thing by cutting it down and leaving those extra bits for the DVD, this will be a treat
Old 05-08-05, 07:44 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I didn't mind the film although I think another 20 minutes or so could actually have helped it a bit. I'm still not sold on Orlando Bloom as leading actor, however...
Old 05-08-05, 09:37 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by Fincher Fan
I didn't mind the film although I think another 20 minutes or so could actually have helped it a bit. I'm still not sold on Orlando Bloom as leading actor, however...
Yeah, Johnny Depp would have been much better.
Old 05-08-05, 10:55 AM

I thought the theatrical showing was OK, but I won't be buying it. I don't think I would watch it often. I will consider an extended director's cut. For Scott to be talking about a different version just as it is being released, I have to believe that that he prefers the longer cut.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.